Riding to Palm Springs and Gramps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
As some of you may have seen Gramps has been in Southern Ca for the month of January. Haven't seen him since CFO in 09 so it was a good reason to jump on the hippo and ride south for a couple days. With the unseasonably warm dry weather I took advantage of the dry mountain roads and rode to Palm Springs via Lake Tahoe and Hwy 395 on the eastern side of the Sierra's. A longer but much better option than riding over crowded freeways south.

IMG_3583_zpshp8bljr9.jpg

It was a bit nippley in Truckee at 7 am but with barn door front end and heated grips/seat all was just fine.

IMG_3593_zpslpwsx6fr.jpg

Some overnight irrigation made for some cool ice sculptures in a Nevada field.

IMG_3598_zpsvmtzki31.jpg

IMG_3612_zpsube57huc.jpg

I just love riding the eastern Sierra's and the winter desert beauty. Temps were in the mid 40'd by the time I was south of Tahoe. Nice day.

IMG_3608_zpsbm4mqnws.jpg

Another real benefit of riding in the winter is no motorhomes, cars or even bikes. Damn I love to have to road to myself! 600 miles later I made it to Palm Springs. Meeting Gramps and others from the FZ6 forum in the morning.

IMG_3630_zpsemifryxs.jpg

Saturday had high wind warnings for much of Southern California and on my way to Warner Springs to meet the peeps I had quite the dust storm to ride through. It was a day of dodge the tumble weed and this picture does not due justice to this wall of dust for a half mile. It was like riding through blowing snow except it was dirt.

IMG_3647_zps5kcj1bgc.jpg

Here's gramps and I along with our FZ friends sharing the winter sun and fun at one of our stops after blasting Montezuma Valley Road. Thanks for riding with us Marc!

IMG_3669_zps3f81dua8.jpg

I mentioned the FZ6 but like me none of the forum members we rode with ride the 6 anymore but we had Triumphs, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda's all playing together quite well. The others in our group are all from SoCal and knew the local roads well. I have ridden with a few before but it was fun to meet some more FZ6forum peeps. We had a blast and it was great to see a fellow Minnesotan. We had a great day riding and before we knew it time said we need to split up.

IMG_3718_zpsbcj5khho.jpg

IMG_3698_zpsy9y64lsz.jpg

I rode the long way back via Idyllwild and the fun grade to Banning. Seems the sun made for fun selfies.

IMG_3743_zpslj1ah7zt.jpg

My son who lives in LA drove over to see his pops. I brought riding gear for him and we rode Joshua Tree National Park Sunday. Notice my new to me Harley Davidson Zumo I bought last month, it will most likely be as close as I ever get to owning a Harley.

IMG_3734_zps7aixvos6.jpg

Here's the kid with the Hippo, we both enjoyed JT Park as it's a great place to visit.

IMG_3736_zpsp9muciij.jpg

The natural Cholla cactus garden in the middle of the park, didn't mean to do a bw picture but I like it. We had a great father/son day which also included a ride up the mountain in the Palm Springs Tram. A must visit for anytime in that area. Sunday evening my son hit the road for LA and I needed to get ready for the 600 mile ride home Monday.

Here's some pictures from the ride north enjoying Hwy 395. Most of my pictures are taken on the fly so don't expect too much quality from my old point and shoot.

IMG_3782_zps5e6afl2b.jpg

IMG_3787_zpstg6sbpva.jpg

IMG_3792_zpsty3wbf98.jpg

IMG_3834_zpsspopqxy5.jpg

IMG_3858_zps6nz9hgf0.jpg

Last picture is Lake Tahoe on the northeast side. It was a great four day ride to see good friends and my son. Not often we are riding in the high country in January. Lets hope for winter to come back in February to California-we need the moisture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful, Dougie.And some great photos of that gorgeous route.

(Does that heated seat make you hafta pee more often? Just wondering. I have a friend who is getting sorta old and he wanted to know.)
Thanks Michael, a friend told me everything makes you hafta pee more often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful, Dougie.And some great photos of that gorgeous route.

(Does that heated seat make you hafta pee more often? Just wondering. I have a friend who is getting sorta old and he wanted to know.)
Thanks Michael, a friend told me everything makes you hafta pee more often.
+1, Gunny; very nice Ride Report and Photographs Bugs, plus 100% correct on both points! jes' sayin' and nuff said, WIDDLE!

It was great to see you again Doug, I had a blast and the FZ group was a treat to ride with. Cliff and I are planning to get together on Monday which will probably be my last foray into the SoCal mountains. I'm going to miss this country and the weather...I may, with any luck, be back next year.
smile.png

Good to hear you and Cliff are getting out again, he's a good guy. I posted up a picture of him on the Hippo over on the FZ6 site just to stir the pot.

Great report!

I wish there was video of you and gramps together doing your "Yeah, hey dere!" and other witty things that 'sotans are good at.

biggrin.png

Very "Cool" and awesome Doug! You def have the background at your fingertips (jealous). Great color in your camera as well!

Mucho Gracious Amigo :)

Doug I don't have a FZ6, but I do have a Wee Strom and would have loved to go riding with your group. What did I do to alienate you?
punk.gif

Great pictures and narrative. In order to get even with you I won't be inviting you to our luncheon ride to Julian this Sunday.
no.gif
Inland Empire Sporttouring Riders.

Doug I don't have a FZ6, but I do have a Wee Strom and would have loved to go riding with your group. What did I do to alienate you?
punk.gif

Great pictures and narrative. In order to get even with you I won't be inviting you to our luncheon ride to Julian this Sunday.
no.gif
Inland Empire Sporttouring Riders.
Jer, I should have sent you a pm. I do apologize for not getting in touch with you ahead of time, It turned into a whirl wind ride down and back.

Next time south for sure however you can get even with me by riding down our way this summer and I'll buy lunch!

It turned into a whirl wind ride down and back.
Next time . . . I'll buy lunch!
Well, Doug, you even drive the work truck like that. This morning, I was directly behind you for a quarter mile on Idaho Maryland, and then next to you as you turned left. Didn't even get to wave atcha, but I bet that isn't enough to get a free lunch. :lol:

It turned into a whirl wind ride down and back.

Next time . . . I'll buy lunch!
Well, Doug, you even drive the work truck like that. This morning, I was directly behind you for a quarter mile on Idaho Maryland, and then next to you as you turned left. Didn't even get to wave atcha, but I bet that isn't enough to get a free lunch.
laugh.png
Hey neighbor, I was f@#king working
bleh.gif

However if you can throw a leg over a bike and join us for the ride down I'll buy your breakfast on Sunday here https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161778-rte-decide-and-ride/