Trailer tie down points

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaBII

Reaction score
I need to trailer my bike for a few hundred miles in a couple weeks. Where on the bike is it recommended to attach the tie down straps?

Thanks!

GeorgiaBII

I have seen a few methods.... a short soft tie around the forks over the lower triple tree, attach your tiedown to that on each side and snug down each side equally. Have your front wheel in a chock or if up against the front of the trailer, tie the wheel/tire so it won't move sideways.

If you have one of those Canyon straps that slips over each handlebar they have tie down loops at each end........

The rear end does not usually need to be held down, but wrap your tiedown strap around the wheel once (it will stay in place once tightened), and tie to each side of the trailer. You just want to keep the rear end from going sideways. Tie downs on the passenger grab handles is sort of OK but they are only resin, besides it's hard to angle the tiedown down without contacting the saddlebags or removing them.

Ray hit it...FJR is big and heavy, I use them all!

Soft ties on the lower triple clamp (cinched), Canyon Dancer on bars (lightly), front wheel in chock or between a couple pieces of 2X4 and finally tie downs (lightly) on rear peg brackets. I don't want the bike going anywhere!

--G

Lower triple tree at the front, and rear passenger peg hangers.

Bike should be on its wheels, never on either stand, and it can help to secure the front wheel to the front rail of the trailer preventing any rearwards movement.

The straps do not need to be tight. Just snug them down so the suspension is lightly compressed and you should be good to go.

Use four straps, not two that go through the bike.

Ray hit it...FJR is big and heavy, I use them all!
Soft ties on the lower triple clamp (cinched), Canyon Dancer on bars (lightly), front wheel in chock or between a couple pieces of 2X4 and finally tie downs (lightly) on rear peg brackets. I don't want the bike going anywhere!

--G
Exactly what I do.

20140707_101618_zpsgnhuqqha.jpg

If you can get your mitts on a Condor chock, it is a worthwhile addition for towing. Eliminates the need for Canyon dancers and having to greatly compress fork springs, as the tie downs mount lower on the bike, not on the bar. Plus makes loading much easier as it grips the front wheel nice and tight. An inexpensive add on kit mounts the chock to the pickup bed.

You can get a steel version for about $150, or the aluminum one for about $230. Mounting kit adds another $20. Bike is completely stable and solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno... If I were going to take my bike somewhere right about now, I think a trailer might be a good idea.

My driveway this morning:

100_4903.jpg

Condor wheel chocks are awesome but if on a budget Harbor Freight makes a usable knock off. Chocking the front wheel is absolutely essential. Soft ties around lower triple clamp and use passenger footrest mounts in the rear. I took my bags off and wrapped them is blankets instead of letting them on the bike.

All good advice. Be aware, in my experience the straps will stretch in the wet. If you then re-cinch them, fine, but beware they will then shrink when things dry out again.

If you are going to put the FJR on an open trailer it is a good idea to remove the windscreen. At least two people have posted on this forum about their windscreen popping the nylon screws and flying off while trailering.

Hadn't heard of a windscreen snapping its screws, but I could see it happening, especially on a gusty day with big semis blasting by. When we trailer south in the winter (my trailer has a front cowl but is open) I put an old T-shirt on the bike's windscreen and cowling nose to prevent sandblasting, use electrical tape to secure it. I see the OP is from Georgia so this may not pertain, but in our southerly excursions I've wound up with the bikes coated with road grime and de-icer. Get thee quick to a car wash!

I never had a need to trailer my FJR, but here is how I tied down my VFR. Canyon Dancer on the handlebars and high on the rear foot pegs.

PS: I tried to embed pictures I have in Phtobucket into this message, but I get an error that "that file extension is not allowed in this community". I have done it countless times before, what changed, this forum or photo bucket?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to trailer my bike for a few hundred miles in a couple weeks. Where on the bike is it recommended to attach the tie down straps?
Thanks!

GeorgiaBII
What's the matter? Is it broken?
Hehe no it's not... But my tail bone is. Which makes long rides less than enjoyable these days sadly.

So I'm trailering the bike to my buddies house in Fl and we'll ride to daytona from there.

Thanks for all the great advice.

I picked up a HF wheel chock today and am converting a jet ski trailer to haul the bike behind my truck.