Help me make decisions please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towelbit

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for a FJR but I'm having trouble deciding which Gen should I shoot for. When doing some research, I have read about an infamous tick. Now from what I have gathered these are isolated pretty well and are troubling on the first Gen(Correct me if I am wrong). Also the second Gen made some improvements with air flow, seat height, alternator, as well as changes to the ECU. Now my question is, are all these upgrades needed? Is heat really that big of an issue for the rider in the summer? Also would the lower seat height be an issue with me being 6'2"? I plan on doing some trips this summer and there will be some altitude changes, Will I need the upgraded ECU? If you have ridden both or all three Gens please give me your opinion. I'm dead set getting a FJR, I just need a little help narrowing my search. Thanks

Do you have a price point? That would help in advising. If you are open, the Gen III FJRs have outstanding enhancements that are very worthy of consideration. Owners that have had all three Gens (or even Gen II and Gen III) will be in a better position to advise. I have only owned my Gen III for a little over a year so I am biased.

Dan

Yes my price point is $6000 and under that may help. I love the Gen lll but not in my budget. So far I'm looking at a 08 with 38k for $5800, 04 with 30k for $5k, and 05 with 8k for $6k

A Gen 3 in that price range will be tough if not impossible as they're too new. I have a Gen 2 bike, '07, that I picked up in the range you're looking for. The '08 and newer bikes do offer some improvement over the '06-'07 years. Most important is the improved throttle and fuel mapping to eliminate the jerkiness the first bikes suffered from. I haven't really had a problem with mine but it did require learning what the bike liked to make the off throttle transition smoother. I've never ridden a first generation bike so I can't speak from experience about them.

Bear in mind, these bikes are extremely reliable and may have what many consider higher mileage. I wouldn't fret over one of these bikes with mileage on it. Verify that recalls are done and ask for maintenance records. As long as the routine service work is done they'll run a long, long time.

As an '05 ABS owner with 168K on the clock and 6'4"...it's been the best motorcycle I've ever owned. I put 40K on another '05 without ABS..I learned I liked. I rode various Gen 2 bikes and liked them, but not enough to change. And I just bought a '14 ES and am pretty confident it is going to become the best bike I've ever owned.

Pricepoint at $6K or less? I'd personally look at '04 ABS, '05 ABS (each with 20K or more miles to preclude chance of ticking)...or '06, '07 etc. if you can find one. Gen 2 are fine bikes too with the modified heat management, upgraded alternators, etc.

Are ABS really that good compared to non? I never had ABS on any of my past sport bikes. With the extra weight with these bikes I can see how it would prevent laying a bike down. Also being 6'4" are you comfortable enough with the stock seat height?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are ABS really that good compared to non? I never had ABS on any of my past sport bikes. With the extra weight with these bikes I can see how it would prevent laying a bike down.
I don't think it's about ABS vs. non-ABS. I think it's about 99%+ of riders that aren't as good as ABS in panic situations...including myself with 200K+ on FJRs.

If you think you're part of that very small fraction that's as good as or better than ABS all the time...then your results may vary. Otherwise, the side discussion about ABS quickly turns NEPRT.
smile.png

Sorry I don't know how to quote on a phone but thank you sir for the 06 sighting. If you all know more don't hesitate.

Gen 3. ABS, (real) cruise control, heated grips, adjustable suspension, adjust-and-forget windshield, and a big-ass alternator that could light up Manhattan.

Gen1 's are cheaper, lighter, and hotter. I loved my '03 (75k) but wish I'd had ABS (crashed). In Ohio the heat can be a plus!

Gen 2 's are cooler, 2 saddle heights, and heavier. Buy an '08 or newer for smoother throttle control.

Gen 3 's are smoother, cooler, and pricier. But now we've seen them below $10k if you want to stretch.

Start cheap w/ an '04/'05 ABS. (mileage is (almost) irrelevant) Maybe upgrade to a Gen 3 next time. I did. Enjoy!

I just bought an '08 FJR1300A with 67K miles for $5500. Given the choices you have presented us with I would go with either the '08 or the recently mentioned '06. I would lean toward the '08 for the improved throttle.

Good advice from Roger dodger right there^^^ Gen1 allows easy entry into FJR experience and if you like the platform you can upgrade to a gen III in a couple years. FJR's are mile eaters and rock solid dependable. Good luck with your search.

My vote is the 08.

My back ground is 40,000 miles on an 04 non ABS with no major problems. I rode Iron Butt rides on this machine and it was an awesome ride !

My son has a 07 FJR AE. It was an improvement over the 04 do to ABS and a little cooler ride.

I now own a 13 and it is the best of all but I realize it is out of your budget.

The reason I vote for the 08 is that in and after 08 there was an improvement in the transmission to reduce the rare chance of a shift dog being bent and taking out your tranny eventually.

My information is worth what you pay for it.

Later

Scooper

Check Hillview Motorsports in Latrobe PA. They have a 04 with 23k listed for $4,500 and a 08 with 28k for $6,700. These are good guys to buy from and will probably deal on the price.

You need to expand your search and patiently look for the right bike being sold by someone that is willing to discount. Even with all that you can't find a 3rd generation in your price range. I've owned four 2nd generation FJRs and all were bought in or near your price range. My current one an 08 FJR AE had 5,400 miles and was traded in to a Can Am dealer in Memphis. They just wanted to get rid of it and sold it to me for $5,500.00. It had no upgrades to speak of and a number of scratches from zero speed drops (why the old owner traded for a Can Am). The Can Am dealer also agreed to install a Heli riser, highway pegs, aux lights, heated gear cord, and do an oil change as part of the deal. The only bad thing for me was that I had to go from Chicago to Memphis on the overnight train and ride the bike home. That wasn't so bad as I rode home by way of Missouri and took an extra day riding through and around the Mark Twain National Forest.

I already had a Russell Day Long Seat from another FJR to put on and a Gerald luggage rack.

Now the 08 FJR AE has 14,000 miles. I put on more miles from October to February living in Chicago then the prior owner put on in six years in Memphis.

You need to look now in February and be willing to go to where the deal is to pick up the bike.

BTW in June I sold one of my other FJRs an 06 AE with 45,000 miles that was well farkeled (Sargent seat, MCL riser, Givi top case rack, MCL highway pegs, frame sliders, LED riding lights, PC III, and back off brake light for $5,000.00 to a friend. Used second generation FJRs don't command good prices these days.

Holy moly I just returned from work to see all this input! Thank you all for your opinions. It is greatly appreciated. I have currently marked off all the past listed choices I mentioned (08 was sold a day ago 04 had a tick and owner couldn't answer my questions so that threw a red flag). I'm currently pursuing a 06 mentioned by one of you fine people and will be seeing it Friday when I have some free time. If everything is good on it I will be making a purchase. If not I will be looking further out.

I'm currently pursuing a 06 mentioned by one of you fine people and will be seeing it Friday when I have some free time.
Remember to take a copy of the New Buyers Checklist and New Users FAQ we linked for you when you joined the forum.

Holy moly I just returned from work to see all this input! Thank you all for your opinions. It is greatly appreciated. I have currently marked off all the past listed choices I mentioned (08 was sold a day ago 04 had a tick and owner couldn't answer my questions so that threw a red flag). I'm currently pursuing a 06 mentioned by one of you fine people and will be seeing it Friday when I have some free time. If everything is good on it I will be making a purchase. If not I will be looking further out.
If you're going to check out the 06 at Breyley Yamaha, tell Dave (the owner) that Joe Fackelmann sent you. Dave is a great guy, and has a great crew working for him.
If my doc appointment Thursday goes well, I might be able to meet you there. Any idea when you might be there?