Trigger wire colore to taillight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I am helping Flybye install a fuse block and an not sure what color of wire to tap into in the taillight bundle for a relay trigger. I am pretty certain I used a brown wire. Don't have my manual here in California.

Blue or blue with red tracer feeds tail and number-plate lamps.

Thanks Meatrophy, Yours was the only reply so I guess we will go with blue. You don't happen to know what the brown wire feeds do you? We are both tired and Flybye has a 20 mile walk home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, 20 miles?
flirt.gif

Truly a Candy Butt Association candidate!

Thanks again Meatrophy. The blue wire activated the FZ-1 fuse block and we are happy to end our wiring debacle. Glad I have a Brit friend, no help from the Yanks.

Thanks again Meatrophy. The blue wire activated the FZ-1 fuse block and we are happy to end our wiring debacle. Glad I have a Brit friend, no help from the Yanks.
Blue ... from a Brit friend, here in Yank Land :D

Thanks Meatrophy, Yours was the only reply so I guess we will go with blue. You don't happen to know what the brown wire feeds do you? We are both tired and Flybye has a 20 mile walk home.
The only diagram I have is in the Haynes workshop manual. That shows:

Black - Ground return

Blue or Blue/red (depending which side of a connector) - Tail/numberplate

Yellow - Brake

Green - Right turn

Brown - Left turn

Glad to help.

Glad the job was done correctly using the Blue wire. Hopefully flybye (sp?) won't have to walk home now.

Don't know what year flybye's FJR is; if it's a Gen II the Brown wire is ignition switched 12 volts that feeds a number of items including things like horns, heated grips connector, brake lights and the glove box solenoid. The Brown wire would have worked also on either Gen, but I think the Blue or Blue/Red wire was a better choice.

Edit: I see, it's Fly Bye with a space!

Jer, I would have helped you, but I didn't see your post because, unlike some English people on this Forum, I was working.

BUT, if you woulda called, I would have told you: BLUE. Light blue actually.

The blue wire it is.

I want to thank everyone for the input, especially Jer for all the time and effort spent on the fuse block install.

Everything is working great for this Candy Butt candidate.

Now for some auxiliary lighting and...

Jer, I would have helped you, but I didn't see your post because, unlike some English people on this Forum, I was working.
BUT, if you woulda called, I would have told you: BLUE. Light blue actually.
I know you would have and figured most Yanks were at work, but we were getting frustrated after spending a lot of time getting the positive wire connected back on the battery. We had also cut some wires that had to be spliced back together. Typical 3 stooges minus 1 day.

Glad the job was done correctly using the Blue wire. Hopefully flybye (sp?) won't have to walk home now.
Don't know what year flybye's FJR is; if it's a Gen II the Brown wire is ignition switched 12 volts that feeds a number of items including things like horns, heated grips connector, brake lights and the glove box solenoid. The Brown wire would have worked also on either Gen, but I think the Blue or Blue/Red wire was a better choice.

We tried the brown wire and it didn't work. Possible not a good connection. I am almost certain that I used the brown wire on my 2013. Fly Bye's FJR is a 2008.

Jer refered to the "taillight bundle", whereas I think the brown you are referring to is at the front.
Taillight colours for all Gens is pretty much the same, as is the function of the front brown wire.

As far as I can tell from a quick peruse of the wiring diagrams, Yamaha have tried to stick to the same colours as far as they can.

Jer refered to the "taillight bundle", whereas I think the brown you are referring to is at the front.
Taillight colours for all Gens is pretty much the same, as is the function of the front brown wire.

As far as I can tell from a quick peruse of the wiring diagrams, Yamaha have tried to stick to the same colours as far as they can.
There is definately a brown wire in the back and a blue and a yellow and ?.

Jer refered to the "taillight bundle", whereas I think the brown you are referring to is at the front.Taillight colours for all Gens is pretty much the same, as is the function of the front brown wire.

There is definately a brown wire in the back and a blue and a yellow and ?.
See my post #8 above.

OK, guys. According to the 2013 FSM, there are 5 wires going to the tail light assembly:

Blue/Red - Tail light

Yellow - Brake light

Brown - Left turn

Green - Right turn

Black - Ground

The license plate light is fed separately (Blue and Black wires) from a pair of bullet connectors bundled alongside the 5 pin connector feeding the tail light assembly. If you want to run a control wire to a fuse block, this is what I would use.

I am guessing this applies to all the Series III bikes.

OK, guys. According to the 2013 FSM, there are 5 wires going to the tail light assembly:Blue/Red - Tail light

Yellow - Brake light

Brown - Left turn

Green - Right turn

Black - Ground

The license plate light is fed separately (Blue and Black wires) from a pair of bullet connectors bundled alongside the 5 pin connector feeding the tail light assembly. If you want to run a control wire to a fuse block, this is what I would use.

I am guessing this applies to all the Series III bikes.
Colours apply to Gen II as well, except blue/red to the number-plate light.

A little late to the party? (see my post #8 above)
sleep.png

It's Friday here
rolleyes.gif