2014 FJR1300A versus 2015 FJR1300 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BritRider

Reaction score
So here is my dilema. I've been contemplationg a new FJR for some time. I'm moving on from an 07 ST1300 with far to many miles on the clock. I've been looking around my local dealers and see several 2014 A's for as low as $11,900. Now compared to the current 2015 MSRP this sounds like a great deal. My problem is that I would prefer an ES to an a non ES. However, I cannot find a 2014 ES available within a reasonable distance of home.

My question to the forum is this. Should I pay significantly more cash for a 2015 ES model. Or should I go for the very reasonably priced 2014 non ES bike. The money I save would sure help with the inevitable farkling.

Cheers.

Others on this board have already weighed in on this in previous posts to which I am certain they will direct you. I was in much the same boat as you a few months ago. I could have bought either, and there was about a $1,000 price difference. I opted for the 2014 A model for which I paid $12,000 OTD. I have had two other FJRs so I know and love the platform. The ES feature adds a cool factor and for those riders who are (more) sensitive to suspension inputs, I am sure it is a nice feature. I am not that rider. Choosing between "hard" and "soft" settings and being able to tinker with the stock rear spring/shock settings just a bit will be fine for me. I think Yamaha strengthened the rear spring on the 2014 A model so it's not like it is completely unimproved. I would imagine the ES feature will fetch more in resale or trade value but then again, I don't plan on selling or trading my 2014 A model for a long time. And it also represents more gadgetry to maintain and fiddle with in the future. Virtually all of my riding is solo, and even when it will not be, I am certain the "hard" setting on the A will do just fine. I think the more of a technophile you are, the more you will want and appreciate the ES feature. And if you are an aggressive rider who actually can tell when a bike suspension is "dialed in," the better off you will be with the ES. Meanwhile I plan to spend the difference on farkles that will actually make a difference to me in the real world which I inhabit. Good luck with your decision. Truth is, you cannot go wrong either way because it is after all the FJR 1300. You could go buy a low mileage, well cared-for Gen I or II and be completely happy (unless you simply must have factory cruise). And then you would have a lot more dough to spend on farkles.

....I like the manual clutch...
That's the only option for him - don't mistake the US "ES" with the European "AS" (which I have). In Europe the US's "ES" is called the "AE", there is no Gen III European "AS" available in the US, but it it were it would be called the "AE".
Confused?

I think you already answered your own question. You would prefer an ES. Don't settle. Make this an adventure. Remove the constraint in regards to close to home. Find one and do a fly and ride. The fly and ride is all that and a bag of chips. One of the best days ever was the day I bought my 06. Flew out, picked it up and rode it 300 miles home.

I went from a 13 A to a 14 ES model mostly for the color and the raving reports about the ES suspension. I had both 14 A & ES models available in the crate at my home town dealer when I moved up a year. I guess I was just wowed by the coolness of inverted forks and being able to adjust my suspension easily. I don't know if I ride well enough to feel the improvement in suspension going from an 13 A to a 14 ES model but I do like easily going from a Cadillac ride on the slab to a sporty firm ride when I get to the destination twisties.

It all boils down to if you have to have the best and if the ease of changing the suspension is worth $1000.00 to you. I'm pretty sure I would go with the ES again if I had it to do over again tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although he states that he wants the ES, we do not know why. To really help him, that question should be answered. IMHO, if you rude a good mixture of solo and 2up or you ride dissent styles within the same "trip" (I.e. slab, city, twisties), having the ES will probably be a better choice.

While I am always uncomfortable with these "Which one should I buy?" threads, it just so happens that I can relate to this one pretty closely.

I struggled with the idea of letting go of my Honda ST1300. It was a long, drawn out, and uncomfortable decision.

I love the '14 Red. I test rode the '14 ES with SkooterG at a Demo Day and loved everything about it. I knew that my skill level did not require the ES and that I would never be a good enough rider to exploit that difference in suspension. Oh, but I did love the way the ES performed on that Demo Ride and I loved that Red. Did I mention how much I like that red color?

This is what I looked like when I knew that my Honda was no longer the bike I wanted. Sad and lost, but a little excited.

In my world you don't just rush out and buy a $17K motorcycle, especially when the one you have is working really well. So as much as I loved that bike, I waited. I worried. I took a couple of long trips and continued to commute on my ST1300. I felt like I had cheated on the faithful Honda and that I no longer loved it as I once did.

Then, the "Ugly '15" came out. The initial reports of disgust over the hideous color, it looks horrible, it will never sell, the price of used '14s just went up... Whatever. I saw the pics on the UK website and I knew. That was my bike.

I adjust that suspension on my work commute every day. Every day. And that ride is less than 9 miles. It never gets as soft and smushy as my ST1300 suspension, it is always more controlled, better damped, but never as Cadillac Smooth as the ST1300. Oh Boy, but will it corner! I have much better ground clearance than with my ST1300 or Dad's '07 FJR. I never question my decision about the suspension upgrade. And I never question my decision about the ST1300 vs 2014 Red vs 2015 Gray.

Ride what stirs your soul. I do.

Good line above: "Ride what stirs your soul"

What's a few dollars here or there in the grand scheme. If we were just trying to economically convey ourselves we wouldn't be riding motorcycles at all, it would be some econo-box that gets better mileage with fewer extraneous expenses.

If the ES thing doesn't catch your fancy, then skip it. No harm, no foul.

But if that is what you really want, is it worth it to look back and wonder, "

."

As others have said - honestly it all comes down to which color.....

Graphite is the new color and will cost you since its the new color, but its the exact same bike....

If your OK with RED - then go for the discount....

If you can't stand that obnoxious color and prefer the way the hell cooler color of Liquid Graphite - then your goin to have pay the extra money....

That is basically all there is to this discussion, Just sayin !!