First longer ride today, and wow.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
Since buying my bike I have only been commuting my 30 miles a day, with 6 of those on one side of the ferry and 9 on the other. Mainly 2nd and 3rd gear riding, with a short stretch of freeway. Often bumper to bumper 1st gear traffic on the way home.

So today during a lull in the rain I took off to Port Townsend, which is my favorite local ride. It's about a 75 minute ride on some beautiful country roads. I couldn't believe how comfortable the FJR was compared to my previous bike. Even without the cruise control, which I love, it was just so smooth, and stable. I haven't modified the bars with risers or pegs with lowering yet, and may not, as I found the riding position pretty darn wonderful. And with cruise control, my buddha, what a game changer. On those long stretches of 65 mph roads with no traffic, I could just engage that puppy and let my right hand hang out all relaxed and bored.

I can see why these bikes have a reputation for long distance happiness.
smile.png
I look forward to a summer of blissful trips and errands to far away places!

I'm glad the "wet-side" was dry enough for a ride. You're correct the FJR just eats up the miles with little effort.

My wife & I took our "new" FJR on a 100 mile run yesterday. It was 64 degrees here in Walla Walla. There was a bit of wind but the FJR is so planted on the road it wasn't an issue. While taking a nice sweeper I told my wife through our Bluetooth helmets that the bike felt like it was on a rail.

I'm glad we made a decision to get another FJR. Can't wait to get some real miles on this riding season.

Before I bought the FJR, I didn't realize how exhausted the wind was making me.

Bar risers and peg lowers aside, consider an aftermarket saddle. There's plenty to read on this site, so I won't delve into that much except to say GET THE LAAM SEAT!!!!!

BTW - my brother is a fireman/paramedic in Lynwood and lives in Bainbridige Island. I've visited a couple times - it rains a lot. Any dry day in February for you is a good day indeed.

I think the FJR platform is a pretty darn good machine, at 6'4" I like the my MCL 1 1/2 up & 1 1/2 back upper triple tree. I had the lowering pegs but they just drug on the ground to much so they went away! I just fired mine up last night after doing the 80,000 mile valve check and a little wiring clean up, found no leaks so should be ready for a ride by the end of the week.

I don't use mine for commuting much so those are mostly all fun miles with a lot more to come I hope.

They just churn out the miles either for long days in the saddle or just around the hood it all ways puts a smile on my face.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^^^^ What hppants said.

I've had the FJR since November, and was surprised that I could wear my ventilated armored pants over spandex running tights -- and still be comfortable in temps down to 30F.

Well, on last weekend's 600-mile trip to Muscle Shoals, I stretched my legs while riding home, and experienced the wind outside the fairing. It liked to yank me off the bike, first; then, with care, I realized it was really, really, cold, too.

Did a little experimenting with extended arms and standing up, at freeway speeds of 80-85 mph, and gained a new reason to love this bike: extraordinary wind protection.

By the way, is it just me or do y'all drive the bike WAY faster than your car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still getting to know this forum and so sorry to have placed this in the wrong place. Different forums handle "generic" topics in different ways.

Another thing that really stands out to me about the FJR Is how low the balance point seems to be. Like Saddletramp said, it feels like it's on a rail. Even when I do my parking lot practice, which I do regularly but just started on this new bike, I notice how confidently and smoothly I can execute my figure 8's. And this on wet pavement with only the OEM tires. I'm not going to impress anyone with my radius, but I can certainly exceed the testing requirements already. My Versys felt much more top heavy, despite being 200 lbs lighter, and somehow tighter or more resistant.

I don't have sliders or anything yet, so I am not too eager to push to the limit yet. But I can foresee having a grand time on this bike on dry pavement with hot tires.

Glad you finally got to take a longer ride. The weather here let me do the same on Sunday. I just got mine in December and this was the first ride after getting my Laam seat and Cee Bailey windshield. I also adjusted the suspension for the first time before the ride. I just rode and didn't want to stop. I have a road trip to Jacksonville planned for mid-March and now I'm itching to hit the road. This thing is so much better as a tourer than my WeeStrom! The 1000 mile trip to JAX should just be fun now.