2007 FJR with 5000 miles.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorksman

Reaction score
I sold my 2008 two years ago and after trying out a Super Tenere and a DL 1000 V-Strom I'm now ready to get back on an FJR.

Scored a great deal on a 2007 with 5000 miles,besides changing the engine oil and filter,changing the final drive fluid and cleaning/replacing the air filter is there anything else I should be looking at ?

Thanks in advance.

Tyres/Tires were replaced last year.

Where are you in Blighty ? I'm a transplanted yorkshireman,been living in Virginia for almost 25 years now.

Chesterfield, North Derbyshire. Just south of Sheffield. Pleased to hear you've got newish rubber.

Can't think of anything else that would need doing.

My bike is a 2004 model. Currently got about 27,000 miles on her. I had to have a reconditioned linkage on the rear suspension as the original had seized through lack of lubrication.

Just as an afterthought, I would recommend a MRA screen; it really does cut buffeting and wind noise and the other mod on mine is Hyperpro springs at both ends. They really improved the handling.

Virginia sounds good.

Enjoy the new bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't mention if there are maintenance records with the machine. In addition to giving the bike a good going-over, I'd change coolant and flush the brakes and clutch as well.

A couple other items to consider so it doesn't leave you stranded:

• Battery condition / age?
  • Fuel tank condition, rusty?
Sounds like a nice low-mileage find.

Good luck!

--G

Make sure you have a Yamaha stealer check to see if the bike has had the recalls done for ignition switch, altitude sickness, and grounding harness. This is very important!!!

+1 on Art Miller posting above.

I scored my '07 in late '12 with only 8600 miles now shows almost 37k. TBS helped out some with smoothness. I've learned to ride around the throttle issues or maybe mine just isn't as bad as some. If you're going to travel much the altitude sickness recall is a must. Elevation changes made mine run horrible until I got that recall done. If the ignition switch recall wasn't done, make sure the dealer gets the correct switch so that you still only have one key. Mine was done prior to mi purchase and my bike has different keys for the ignition and bags now.

Like Escape, I'd flush the brakes/clutch. I'd also grease all of the pivot points (clutch/brake handle, shifter assy, rear brake pedal assy, side stand, center stand) with waterproof grease. Then I'd disable the "auto-retract" feature on the windshield (remove the jumper) and start riding.

Some great advice guys,Thanks!

I did an online check for recalls and the ignition switch and grounding harness was listed as not been done but there was no mention of the altitude sickness,was this only on certain VINs?

I don't remember having it done when I had my 2008.

Think I'll install a new battery as a precaution,any recommendations?

What years do the altitude sickness, ignition switch and grounding issues affect ?

I have a 2011.

Altitude sickness is an '06-07 issue. ECU doesn't adjust properly for change in altitude beyond, I think, 3000-3500 feet. When you start form a lower altitude and ride up into the mountains, uncorrected bikes start running horribly. Found mine out while in TN and NC a couple years back. On the Cherohala Skyway it make my bike downright unpleasant to ride. I learned later that if you pull over, shut the bike off, then restart it'll reset the ECU altitude and run better.

I had that recall done after my trip and found it improved greatly. Living in PA, I didn't really think I'd need that one done as our elevations are lower than where the problem would show up. Found that I now ride much farther distances than in the past so I'm glad I got it done. I definitely recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^Um sort of. The '06/,07 ECUs were programmed to make adjustments for altitude when the throttle was moved 1/4 turn. Apparently this was too much movement for some people during altitude changes, or maybe the programming was wonky. Either way, they did a recall which reduced the required movement to something like 1/8 turn , and maybe changed the way measurements are done.

I never had a problem with mine, but I don't ride that way either. My recall was still done at one of my service visits.

I scored my '07 in late '12 with only 8600 miles now shows almost 37k. TBS helped out some with smoothness. I've learned to ride around the throttle issues or maybe mine just isn't as bad as some. If you're going to travel much the altitude sickness recall is a must. Elevation changes made mine run horrible until I got that recall done. If the ignition switch recall wasn't done, make sure the dealer gets the correct switch so that you still only have one key. Mine was done prior to mi purchase and my bike has different keys for the ignition and bags now.
BkerChuck, you can either pull the ignition switch, or the bag locks and take them to a locksmith who can easily reset the locks so you can use one key. When the ignition recall was done on my 08, the dealer first took the new lock to the locksmith to have it match the old key. It would be easier to pull the bag keys, and have them reset to the ignition key.

BkerChuck, you can either pull the ignition switch, or the bag locks and take them to a locksmith who can easily reset the locks so you can use one key. When the ignition recall was done on my 08, the dealer first took the new lock to the locksmith to have it match the old key. It would be easier to pull the bag keys, and have them reset to the ignition key.
Don't forget the seat lock and the fuel filler lock.
I seem to remember it's possible to change the switch part of the ignition switch assembly and retain the lock part from the old.

Another suggestion for "down the road"

At your next rear tire change, plan to lubricate (Honda Moly 60 paste is great stuff) the drive shaft splines (both sides0, the wheel to pumkin splines, and the axle.

Picked up the bike today and rode it home,in the snow for the last 20 miles!

I'd almost forgot how great that engine is......good to be back.

Latest posts