Cross Country ride - looking for suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the correct section... please move if appropriate.

I am planning a six week ride across the country leaving New York after Labor Day 2015. My plan is three days on the slab to Mount Rushmore and then start exploring. My thoughts are in order: Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas then head home. I know it's pretty wide open, but does anyone have any "must see's" or "must rides"? Along that same idea, any "avoids"? Any one have their old gps or spotwalla tracks? Also, are there any west coast gatherings going on during this time frame? Thanks.

Steve,

I did a similar type trip in Sept 2009 and definitely have some good suggestions. Don't have time right this minute but will later. Also can send you some photos etc from that trip . PM me with your email if interested. Also check ride reports here from Sept/Oct timeframe. I posted up some stuff.

It's a great trip and one of my life's best experiences (so far).

Later.

A good source for things to possibly visit are Iron Butt Rally packets. They span the continent in spectacular fashion, have blurbs about each bonus location, and specific GPS coordinates. And there are many years to pick and choose from. Try https://ironbuttrally.com/IBR/default.cfm?CFID=10468754&CFTOKEN=65067024, click on the various years, and each has various packets in PDF format.

Contact me by PM if you'd like regarding Montana rides (Wyoming, Idaho and Washington too). In fact I have written a book on motorcycling Montana. I'll PM you some info on that.

For the 'rides' part of your question I would also invest in some Butler motorcycle maps, they usually show the good roads and give a little bit of a description. https://www.butlermaps.com/

Sounds like a great trip.

Reuben Run in LaPine OR is in the time frame you're looking at. Northern mountain states could have snow depending on the year. I'd have an alternate [southern] plan in place during the latter parts of the trip.

Good luck and have a blast!

--G

I did your ride this summer/fall, only backwards. Came within a couple miles of Albany, in fact, as part of my loop from Cali. There are so many highlights along the way you can make yourself nuts trying to plan, so just pick a few major goals and enjoy everything else you are able to--or have time to--stumble across on your way. My report is here, with links to a Spotwalla map. Also check out Bikerskier (Ralph's) epic, much longer than mine, trip about the same time. He also has a Spotwalla link.

I pulled off at an overlook and saw Mount Rushmore for about five minutes. Could have spent a little more time there, but not much. I do recommend the big National Parks in the west--each one is very special. You mentioned Utah. Make sure it's Southern Utah. So many amazing NPs in that area alone. But take the time to meet folks wherever you are and see local highlights, not just the big tourist-y places. And if you can post from the road, it's great to hear from local forum members and get local info and sometimes riding partners. Have a great time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning a six week ride across the country leaving New York after Labor Day 2015. My plan is three days on the slab to Mount Rushmore and then start exploring. My thoughts are in order: Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas then head home. I know it's pretty wide open, but does anyone have any "must see's" or "must rides"? Along that same idea, any "avoids"? Any one have their old gps or spotwalla tracks? Also, are there any west coast gatherings going on during this time frame? Thanks.
Steve

I am planning a similar sort of trip this year as well. I expect to be doing my 60th birthday ride for 4 weeks beginning sometime in mid-June (I think). My plan is for solo riding and (mostly) camping along the way. My initial plans are ambitious with the intent to average something like 500 miles per day; not planning to stop much unless held up by weather (12-15 K miles total). I did a 2.5 week cross continent tour about five years ago and averaged just over this distance on a daily basis. If I need to get from one area-of-interest to another, I will generally slab it and cover up to 1000 miles/day and then take a little more time in the more interesting places.

I will be keeping a close eye on this thread and try to incorporate some of the suggestions into my trip. The plan is to see a bunch of stuff I haven't seen before and to enjoy the freedom that can only come from an extended leave from responsibilities and doing what I love to do. I expect to head for the Gulf Coast (via Blueridge). A little riding in the South if its not too hot and wander over to NM and AZ. I expect to spend some time in Colorado and Utah before making it over to the California coast. A few days of that with some side trips and then a bit of time in Oregon and Washington. I will do a loop up into Canada to visit my sister in Vancouver and do a swing through Jasper and Banff. If the timing works, I will probably meet up with the CFR bunch in Southern BC (July).

Once I have my ride firmed up a little more, I will start a separate thread and send you a link. Maybe we can share a few ideas.

Thanks for all the great responses. This is what I was looking for. I really like the advise to "Pick a few major goals and enjoy everything else you are able to". When I first started thinking about this trip I thought 6 weeks was plenty. Now I'm not sure. I am going to try to not "over plan" and just let the ride happen.

We'll have the Fall PNW tech meet near the end of September, early October. But you are welcome to stop in and service your bike whenever it fits into your schedule. I'm in Auburn, WA.

More advice. Sign up for the Assistance List if you haven't already. Print out a copy if possible so you can contact people along the way--including me if you get to NorCal--ditto to Ross Kean. I'd like to meet you both.