Help me with a good route, FL to AZ

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve in Phx

Reaction score
I need suggestions on a good route East to West, from Jacksonville back to Phoenix.

This will be a slow route over 5+ days, trying to avoid interstates and see some beautiful scenery.

I would appreciate any route recommendations from anyone that's gone this way before.
Any points of interest that I should try to see? Possibly through Memphis / Nashville?
Any routes that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.

I need suggestions on a good route East to West, from Jacksonville back to Phoenix.This will be a slow route over 5+ days, trying to avoid interstates and see some beautiful scenery.

I would appreciate any route recommendations from anyone that's gone this way before.

Any points of interest that I should try to see? Possibly through Memphis / Nashville?

Any routes that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.
I have a great GPX file for you and others containing my favorite waypoints along a southern border route across the continent (all visited by me on 2 wheels), but I don't know how to upload the GPX file. Email me at j dot c dot puckett at gmail dot com.

I meandered across the Florida panhandle a couple of years ago. You could take a few back roads across Florida till you

get to US98. It follows the coast on the panhandle. Lots to see all across the panhandle. The beaches are really nice. I went to Mobile Al and took the ferry across the bay.

Lots of busy areas but there are still some very nice protected areas on the beach in the panhandle.

St. Marks Wildlife Refuge is a pretty place.

300 on to St George Island is a nice ride.

A few place where 30 or 30A take you closer to the beach then US98 are nice.

The state parks in the area are really nice if that type camping is your thing.

One thing we can all agree on is I-10 is not the way to do that trip.

iggy gave some good advice with the rally packet search. The 2012 10'n10 had many Route #66 locations in it.

I am on a unfamiliar laptop right now, otherwise I would be posting links. "Roadside america" has interesting

stops. I would say to jog north ASAP from Florida. Time not being a factor will give you a chance to really explore.

Sorry- Got to go...