Thoughts on the Corbin Smuggler Trunk ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisherdave

Reaction score
Other than "expensive" - does anyone have any experience with the Corbin Smuggler Trunk? I mean how is the quality? How is the fit? Does it do what it should?

I don't know if I'm committed to it or anything - I just want to hear what others have to say about the product.

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

I sold one. But only because I found an outrageous deal on one and I didn't need 2.

Now to answer the questions.

It is pretty darn useful particularly if you ride with out the side cases. I keep lots of items in there. Zumo, lens cleaners, tire gauge, spare sunglasses, sunscreen, insurance card, bungie cords, tie repair kit with pump, pens, paper, some tools (those that I am most likely to need - hex wrench, poker thingy to remove those plastic rivets, phillips screw driver). fuses.

It is water resistant but I wouldn't classify it as water tight.

Yep it is pretty darn useful.

I am very happy that mama yama hasn't changed the seat configuration from Gen II to Gen III, The smuggler will just move up when I move up. I might even paint it. It doesn't match now so that tells you how much I care about that. Cerulean Silver on an 06 blue looks nice - it is a mic between the blue and the silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used mine all the time very convenient for quick storage, I sold mine only because I installed a Australian Police radio box. A used one will cost $500-$600.

I spent a ton of $$$ on all sorts of tail bags. No matter how nice and expensive they were, they all faded and looked like crap in no time at all. I was given first dibs on Johnny80's smuggler when he sold his '07 and bought a BMW GS. To this day, I'm thanking him every Freakin' day. It's worth every penny. Go for it! :)

PS: Thanks for the dimensions on the locking pin, Graler. Much appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
da shizzle....well made but should be...very poor paint match on my cobalt blue but not Corbin's fault-how could they match 3 stage paint from 3K miles away...

I bought one from a forum member, black of course, the best color ever.

As far as convenience it is one of the best additions to the FJR ever.

I would not consider being without it.

Many thanks to all of you that replied. I find that many times I ride with the side cases on, but they aren't really holding all that much. I liked the looks of the smuggler trunk when I first saw them, but I wasn't sure if they were as utilitarian as they were good looking. From the comments I see I guess it's a thumbs up on both looks and utility. I guess it may be time to crack the old piggy bank?

Thanks again!

Dave

Have another question about them. Are these strictly for solo riders or do they remove easily remove so can flip back and forth between a pillion seat and the smuggler?

enjoyed reading this thread. I am ready to pull the trigger

but

what is this the smuggler will not fit with Givi 357 rack ?????? this is not cool

I love the smuggler. I am not a fan of the side loading bags. I just leave them at home unless I am touring. For day rides I like the bike

with just the smuggler to hold things. Decently made, water resistent, looks good. Not bullet proof but it does lock.

I love the fact I can remove the smuggler add the back seat and hard bags and be ready to tour in a few minutes.

Personally I think the FJR is a beautiful bike with the smuggler, no hard bags and no top box.

fjr1300a-L.jpg

FJR1300-XL.jpg