Givi V56 Maxia-4 Top Case Purchase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
I've been waffling forever on this subject. I liked some things about the Shad cases, other things on the Givi etc, etc...

The one thing that kept me away from the Givi cases was that gaudy red reflector wrap-around. Then they came out with the smoked lenses... much better! I still was on the fence however.... until they just came out with the new V56 (56 liter) top case w smoked lenses (model V56NT).

So I pulled the trigger last night. It's coming straight from Italy as there are none in the States yet.

givi_V56NT_Maxia_4_Top_Case_Monokey_L.jpg

So I'll have to decide if I want to get the lid color matched by my Paint Shop in my Sakhir Orange?.

I'll do a brief comparison vs. the BMW GT OEM topcase...

Costs $330 vs $1535 ...was the most obvious and was my biggest hiccup, but, I will lose...

- Factor Color Match (if I want apples to apples comparison to the OEM), I can get the lid painted of course at more $$

- No Central Locking (like I have w my other cases, incl the 2 gloveboxes
sad.png

- No LED interior dome light

- No Hydraulic arms

- I'll have another Key :( , the BMW would be FOB controlled, as well as handlebar (button) triggered, or/and keyed to the bikes ignition key.

- I will need a mount plate w the Givi (huge bummer!) as the OEM case locks-on directly to the bikes tail. This also keeps the case a tad lower and looks way better when no topcase is on. OEM is slick for sure and I will miss this big-time.

Bottom line was price. I just could not bow to the Bavarian Mothership for that huge of price for something I would use maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I guess my frugal side must have kicked in
smile.png
(for once!)

My prior set-up was a Nelson-Rigg LG. I built a lightweight PVC frame to keep it's shape no matter what the load size was. Spacious!, but I couldn't bring Debbie along with this bag, and, just not secure (to thievery). I had to remove it every night at the motel(s). This got old after about 10 days of doing this.

592961_zpsfa3dd3e7.jpg

So I'll follow-up with my review of this V56NT case in the Spring after an outing or two. Good or bad, it will surely come out of my mouth
wink.png
hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
On my computer screen there is no discernible difference in the gloss black and the standard finish.

Is standard a matte black?

On my computer screen there is no discernible difference in the gloss black and the standard finish.Is standard a matte black?
Correct. Standard "N" is Matte-Black. That's the "N" in the model#, whereas the "T" is for transparent.

Looks nice. My E55 (apples to oranges) has been nice. Only complaint is that the lid won't stay up very well.

Looks nice, make sure you post up pics once it comes in. I see some silver accents and black on the bike already...gives you more options for a color "match" !

Thanks for the heads-up on another trunk option.

--G

I was lucky enough to pickup an E53 some years back for 275 (and the color was a pretty good match for my 05). But that is friggen cool looking. I'll be looking for your write-up. I could be tempted to upgrade (bigger, must get bigger)!

Can you post a link to the Italian website you bought the box from?

Thanks.

Definitely looks nice. Might sell my Yamaha top case and buy one of these. Yes.. please post pics once you have it mounted.
Yes. Pics please. This could be one of the best looking large topcases I have seen.

Definitely looks nice. Might sell my Yamaha top case and buy one of these. Yes.. please post pics once you have it mounted.

Yes. Pics please. This could be one of the best looking large topcases I have seen.

Just subscribe to this thread, I'll post up pics and my .02 evaluation here.

For the mount, I purchased these 2 goodies.... (It could of been cheaper w the plastic formed mount, but I preferred not to have the additional height rise that incurred with it.

6805991_223708.jpg

Then this kit for locking the Givi onto the plate/bike

phponIJV1.jpg

Of course you will need the FJR mounting plate (above plate was for my K16 tail). Both of these parts I purchased from twistedthrottle

I sent an email to the folks I just bought my E55NT from and they still had no idea when they would have the V56 in stock. I mounted the E55 again today and must say that it looks really good on the Raven FJR. I will just keep the E55. I have the SW-Motech luggage rack with the Givi Monokey hardware from Twisted Throttle also.

Where did you get the plate? I do like the case a lot. I will have to show this to the boss and try and get aproval.

Dave

For the mount, I purchased these 2 goodies.... (It could of been cheaper w the plastic formed mount, but I preferred not to have the additional height rise that incurred with it.
6805991_223708.jpg

Then this kit for locking the Givi onto the plate/bike

phponIJV1.jpg

Of course you will need the FJR mounting plate (above plate was for my K16 tail). Both of these parts I purchased from twistedthrottle
I guess my only concern is the rear frame's ability to withstand heavy cantilevered loads. The Givi SR357 mounting frame provides all the support you will ever need. However, a plate mounted directly on the bike would not fill me with confidence YMMV