Gen1 '05 to a gen2 '06? Worth it or not?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy96

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a 'my fiancé won't like it so much' idea in my head. I'm sporting a gen1 '05 right now, and know that in '06 they changed and updated quite afew things about our feejers. One of the dealers in my area has a nice '06 for 6K, same color as my '05, but a gen2. I'm pondering seeing if they'd take my '05 on trade for the '06 beings all the updates and changes. Am I wasting my time or is it worth it to upgrade to a gen2?? Any opinion won't be turned down! ;)

Unless your '05 has very high miles and the '06 much lower, it's not worth the effort and $$$.

Yes, there some nice improvements on GEN IIs, but I would hold out for a newer (08+) low mile example to get the most bang-for-the-buck.

Just my $.02.

--G

What's it worth to you to get rid of your 10-year old ride in exchange for a 9-year old one? They made some changes, but IMO, nothing THAT dramatic. If you've added any farkles, many of them will not be compatible across the generations (seats, windshields, lots of other stuff). You already know your '05, its idiosyncracies, its maintenance history. What will you find wrong with that new (but 9 year old) one? The '05 blue is much nicer than that '06 blue, too.

It's not actually the same color. 05 was Galaxy Blue. 06 is Cobalt Blue. The 06 is darker. Need more info: How many miles on your '05? On the '06? How happy are you with the 05? Any major complaints.

In my not so humble opinion, I don't think it is worth upgrading. The 06 had some issues. Granted they were either fixed by Yamaha or the aftermarket, but 2006 for the FJR was not one of the better years. I wouldn't upgrade unless you get at least a 2008. And in 2009 you get the reduced clutch pull that 06-08 owners complained (rightly so) about.

Personally, I would think strongly about waiting to upgrade to a Gen III, 2013+ if budget is a concern. The Gen III FJRs are most definitely the dogs danglies when it comes to refinement and features. They are worth the wait.

Go for it...

Don't tell her...

See if she notices...

If you get hospitalized in a spectacular fashion, post up. We will all console you and wish you a speedy recovery.

I hate doing this but I am going to completely agree with SkooterG.

The '05 was and is a great bike.

The '06 color is a bit darker and I like it a bit better than the '05 color but that is just an opinion.

The '06 in stock form has throttle control issues. The ECU is programmed to run very lean which makes for a very snatchy on/off throttle transition. The throttle cable pulley at the throttle bodies is egg shaped instead of round which gives a non linear, abrupt throttle response on the bottom end. A Power Commander with a good smoothness map and G2 Throttle tube will fix these issues but if it has not already been done it will cost you the time and money to do it. The speedometer on the Gen2s has tiny little numbers and is not as easy to read as the Gen1.

Yamaha has steadily refined the FJR but that refinement comes in increments rather than huge jumps. The Gen3 would be a huge jump. An '05 to '06 would not be worth it in my opinion unless there was a huge difference in odometer readings and very low $$$ cost.

Personally, I would think strongly about waiting to upgrade to a Gen III, 2013+ if budget is a concern. The Gen III FJRs are most definitely the dogs danglies when it comes to refinement and features. They are worth the wait.
As another '05 owner.....Gen II wasn't it for me. Gen 3 was a no-brainer (after I came terms with my payment plan).

As another '05 owner.....Gen II wasn't it for me. Gen 3 was a no-brainer (after I came terms with my payment plan).

Well lets make that another in total agreement.... There were alot of teething pains on the Gen2 when they first came out IMO... Galaxy Blue is a much better color, stick with it.... I'm going to be sad to see my 05 leave the garage, there were some great memories....

Hold out for a good deal on a Gen3

Many people claim the 2005 FJR was the most reliable year ever for the FJR. That may not be saying much because they are all reliable. But the 2005 model was a wonderful bike. I never had a GEN II or an earlier GEN I, and I am now on my second GEN III (long story). I don't know the mileage or service history of your 2005 but, as they say, "all things being equal" (they rarely are) I would stick with the bird in the hand.

The Gen I bikes had a terrible heat issue coming up right at your crotch (I had an '03 and in the heat of the summer here in Houston it was sometimes unbearable--I remember coming back from a trip to the Smokies in June and having to put my heavy riding pants on in 95 degree heat to keep my crotch from roasting). This was fixed on the Gen II bikes--something to consider.

The Gen I bikes had a terrible heat issue coming up right at your crotch (I had an '03 and in the heat of the summer here in Houston it was sometimes unbearable--I remember coming back from a trip to the Smokies in June and having to put my heavy riding pants on in 95 degree heat to keep my crotch from roasting). This was fixed on the Gen II bikes--something to consider.
This is supposed to correct that issue:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-FJR1300-FJR-HOT-TANK-HEAT-FIX-INSULATION-KIT/191480685303?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28772%26meid%3D74c78bba61f244469fa52578e2d2165e%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D191207982290

Not all Gen 1 bikes were hot.

I had a 2004 FJR and logged nearly 40,000 miles on it . It was no hotter than my sons Gen 2.

My Gen 3 is way cooler than my sons 2007 though.

Love the Gen 3 but that 2004 was a keeper. I just lusted for a 2013.

Scooper

I always thought I would be purchasing the heat fix but after two years in the hot and very humid south with my 2004 I personally don't understand the heat issue; but I get that everyone's mileage may vary. Back on topic I would think the differences between the two would not warrant the minor upgrade unless the deal was to good to turn down.

I have a 03, and here in Alabama we know heat so I put some heat blocking foam material between the frame and side panels. This helped the heat blast coming back on me. I just got a lightly use 05 and plan to do the same with it.

Entirely a subjective matter. To me the heat that is generated is not that bad. I've ridden other bikes that generated a lot of heat also. I ride mine pretty much year around and only have blue jeans on (got to get some riding pants shortly just for safety sake - these jeans with Kevlar are what get hot on any bike).

This has been a "hot" topic on this forum ever since I joined in '03 when I got my first FJR. Some say "what heat" and others, like me, say it's excessive. The bottom line is that Yamaha recognized this design flaw in the Gen I's and corrected it in the Gen II's with a curved radiator, twin fans, and better faring ventilation and it worked. My riding buddy had an '06 at the same time I had my '03 and when we traded off we both immediately noticed the difference.