Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, AL!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
Had the chance to visit the Barber Motorcycle museum while doing some work in Birmingham, and now that I have learned how to post pictures here I will include a few. It utterly blew away any pre-conceived notions I had. It is world class. Takes your breath away. 5 floors of motorcycles with just as many arranged on racks on every wall. Never had any idea how many different motorcycle manufacturers there are/have been in the world. It's like a monument, or shrine, or homage, to the motorcycle.

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

A buddy and I visited Barber in 2005 on a trip from AZ to VA and absolutely consider that one of the high points of the trip. Our scheduling worked out poorly being caught in a traffic jamb in the southern heat for hours (no lane sharing!) so we arrived about an hour before they were to close. We literally ran through the museum, snapping pics like madmen to document what we'd seen, but need to go back to spend at least the day and try to schedule a few laps around the track. Thanks for reminding me what a great collection they have there.

So just imagine combining all that the museum offers with three days of vintage motorcycle races and displays, vendors, flea markets and many other things to see and do. Vintage Days in October.... Do not miss it.

I agree with the flying dinosaur. Barber is an over the top museum for motorcycles and the vintage racing weekend is the ice cream on side. Get there early, stay late, bring a good camera. The sound of all the older machines giving it hell around the track is music. Go there.

I have the museum as a planned stop on the way down to the start of the upcoming Mexico trip. Will be there later in the week if all goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna hit vintage days maybe this year but last year's trip to see the AMA Superbike races was fantastic as well!

Been there several times. One of the things that really fascinated me was the amount of knowledge and expertise the fellas who work there have concerning everything motorcycle. Have had some amazing conversations with various employees in that museum.

Gary

darksider #44

Seems unlikely I'll be back anytime soon as the great state of Washington is pretty darn far from Alabama. My touring desires don't tend to wander into that neck of the woods. So it felt really unique and special to see the place. I didn't post my pictures of the statues out front, but they are really, really cool. It's art, so there you go, but it works for me. Three larger than life men standing on roman like wheels and axles reaching forward like they are racing and jockeying with their hands. Just awesome. Symbolism that works for me.

Enjoy the place if you live closer to it than I do. I'm stuck with looking out at the 10,000 foot glacier capped Olympic Mountains every day, over salmon and sea lion filled waters.

Thanks for the pics Salish...gotta make the trip one of these days.

Heck, it's only like what, two days away...
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

Love it - concur with all being said, Barbers is excellent! I read about it in a UK motorcycle mag and decided I would do it as part of my planned 'Dixie Dash 2013'.

I visited on 15th July 2013 - hired a fat Boy in DC, Blue Ridge Parkway, (met Fjrbandit) Tail of Dragon, Stecoah, Chattanooga through to Talladega - culminating in all day visit to Barbers.

Superb British, Italian and German offerings, Sterling Moss homage site, Lotus F1/F3. Mr Barber has certainly put his loose change to good use - this museum has salvaged some of the oldest and most precious bike history in the world and long may it run! Favourite bike to take home was Manx Norton - loved the matching blue Cadillac and Harley and also the ice cream scooter! Tons of photo's (camera ran out of uummph) though disappointed with T shirts available at time, and that I never bumped into the 'man with the red jacket' - owner of Wheels Thro Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley had given me his card to present to this gentleman who may have shown me around the basement but, alas, I never found him! Had dinner with Fjrbandit and frau after visit and we remain good friends since.

Barber's - do it!!

So cool! I will be heading to northern Alabama for work later this year, and plan on riding so I can skip down to Barber and check it out.

On Friday & Saturday they have guided tours that include the restoration shops in the basement. I hope to be there Friday weather permitting.

I was planning to be on the road today but there were reports of freezing rain on the route I am taking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just another one that has to jump in and say if you ever get a chance go!!! If you have an interest in motorcycles this place will amaze you. You can just walk for hours and hours. I have pictures somewhere but they just don't do the place justice.

A wonderful place to visit. Some real beauties in there, and even more that you won't see, down in storage. They rotate things in and out of the display floors, so you might return one day unable to find something you know you saw before, and yet discover something else you never knew existed. Here's a panoramic of the storage garage, which was not exactly "open" per se, but the big ol' pull-down door was open on this visit...... Clicky Clicky!
smile.png

Something else to realize is that every stinking bike (and car) in that place is, or can be made to be (within a few hours) in good running order. And at most major event weekends they'll bring something out and put it on track during the lunch breaks of whatever's running that weekend. I once saw an event for century bikes, i.e. bikes at least 100 years old. There were three, and only one got a full lap, but some of the hills on that track just aren't climbable by those old bikes!

warehouse.jpg

I took a similar picture. I recall hearing they have another storage facility that has over a thousand bikes in it.