Convince Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DezzertRider

Reaction score
I'm not a long term FJR owner. I've had my GenI for about 7 months now and I'm completely happy with it. I know a lot of you seem to be making the jump to Gen IIIs. It seems that the biggest evolution on the Gen III would be the electronic suspension. Other that that, what would be the things to convince me to move to a Gen III?

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoother engine, better front end air flow, cruise control to 100, sport mode, temp. gauge, color of '14....all after a Gen 1 has had 150K miles and don't mind the hit of a new bike.

Convince you? No way. YOU have to do that yourself.

I'm not a long term FJR owner. I've had my GenI for about 7 months now and I'm completely happy with it. I know a lot of you seem to be making the jump to Gen IIIs. It seems that the biggest evolution on the Gen III would be the electronic suspension. Other that that, what would be the things to convince me to move to a Gen III?
If you are completely happy with your present FJR, you wouldn't be asking about Gen 3s. If we can convince you, then you are easily convinced. I have a Gen 1 and a Gen 3. Love them both.

Cruise Control. Better air/wind management. Cruise Control. Better heat management. Cruise Control. Improved ABS, traction control, Tour/Sport engine maps. Cruise Control. Heated Grips. The electronic suspension adjustment is just icing on the cake.

You have to convince yourself. I will not argue for or against. The Gen1 was and is an awesome bike.

Don't switch. There's lots of reasons to switch but you are just getting used to your new sweetheart. Give her 12 months or 10,000 miles, then decide.

Cruise control, heated grips (yeah, I see you're AZ rider), adjustable fairing panels to protect/expose your legs, ABS, badass parking lights. Oh yeah, moderately comfy seat.

But are those things worth the extra money you'll pay to get a Gen3?

I too have a Gen 1 and now Gen III

I don't have alot of miles on my 05 - so the new buyer will end up with a great deal on my OL' Blue....

I was def ready for a change to the latest and greatest upgrades to the platform...

First dealer test ride on the upgraded platform sealed the deal for me....

I had zero issue with spending the money... Paid cash for the first one, and same for the new one - plus a hell of alot of upgrades knowing what I already needed to trick out my machine for my comfort level taking what I could off the old bike - it was easy but spendy to pull it all together, while I wait for the snow to be gone....

There have been a great deal of refinements with the GEN III, not just the suspension, and it equated to very well worth the wait to me.

Everything that is adjustable on the fly is great for me.... We have crap roads here and my back takes a beating, adjustable suspension for me is that one thing that sold me on the new bike....

Plus my other theory - Ya Only Live Once, and ya Can't take it with ya....

My biggest payment today is my next set of tires. Perfect!
punk.gif

My biggest payment today is my next set of tires. Perfect!
punk.gif
Well said Tom, with the money spent on payments, I can fill the tank a number of times and always have money for a set of tires when the time comes.

Cruise Control. Better air/wind management. Cruise Control. Better heat management. Cruise Control. Improved ABS, traction control, Tour/Sport engine maps. Cruise Control. Heated Grips. The electronic suspension adjustment is just icing on the cake.
You have to convince yourself. I will not argue for or against. The Gen1 was and is an awesome bike.
Don't forget, CRUISE CONTROL!
rofl.gif

I'm in my first year as the second owner of an '05, giving it a chance to stretch her legs (quadrupled the odo in just 6 months.) No interest in the Gen II and I'd buy a '14 if I hit a jackpot, but I'll be VERY happy riding into many more sunsets (and sunrises) on this one.

Don't forget, CRUISE CONTROL!
rofl.gif

I'm in my first year as the second owner of an '05, giving it a chance to stretch her legs (quadrupled the odo in just 6 months.) No interest in the Gen II and I'd buy a '14 if I hit a jackpot, but I'll be VERY happy riding into many more sunsets (and sunrises) on this one.
Did somebody mention Cruise yet?

In all seriousness, the one feature I wish I had w my Gen2... and with the AE?, the outfitting with an electronic was one big task.

And... Gas must be cheap right now
wink.png
, as nobody mentioned the better mileage. Riding along on several trips with all of the Gen's, the Gen1 gets (got) the worse mileage easily.

Life is short. If this is (one of) your main hobbies (or the main one!), then this is easily justified. Get the deal done while you can still handle 2 wheels! (a wheelchair doesn't count btw).

If you want Cruise Control on your Gen 1 or 2 it's a $200 purchase and a few hours time.

I have the Rostra electronic version ready to be fitted to the Gen 1

I went with a 2014 because my old bike had high unscheduled maintenance costs. If the older bike, albeit not an FJR, had fairly low unscheduled maintenance cost averages, I'd have stayed with it, and would do the same with any bike I was completely happy with that was still reliable.

How did Yamaha make the engine smoother?
Beary
Don't know that it is any smoother.

AFAIAA, the only mechanical difference is a different coating on the bore, this won't affect balance. Maybe, just maybe, the FI has improved in a way that could improve balance.

All three of my FJRs (two GenIIs, one GenIII) have felt smoother than the previous bike i had. Over time they seem to gradually deteriorate - although, in my case, never enough to say anything was wrong. Just that when i get the next one, it's smoother.

If you want Cruise Control on your Gen 1 or 2 it's a $200 purchase and a few hours time.
I have the Rostra electronic version ready to be fitted to the Gen 1
As long as you don't have an AE.

Nothing beats factory cruise however
smile.png
Huh? No difference between the "A" and "AE" apart from finding where to put the actuator. Fitted the Audiovox to my '10 AS (AE) in a few hours, no particular problem (other than self-induced).

[edit] The Rostra comes in two flavours, one for the AE.[/edit]

Latest posts