Side case cover swap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
In preparation for the ride to Arkansas, I need some help swapping the cover from my damaged case to the new case. My 04 right side case cover was scratched up a little in the accident. I got a new case from a forum member. I need to swap the cover the 04 to the new case. In doing so I will have an extra cover for someone that needs just a cover to a bag. I needed the bag part and not the cover since mine was just scratched and some paint will work just fine.

So how do you remove the cover?? I looked and couldn't find any screws. Just rivets. I searched the forum but couldn't find a hit that made sense. Thanks in advance.

Cav

You must drill out the rivets, as Redfish said.

I found suitable replacement rivets at NAPA, but small nut & bolt combo would probably work. The rivets I used were quite robust, and needed a firm squeeze or three on the rivet gun.

There's a metal backing plate for each hinge that you must line up when you re-rivet or screw the cover back on, and is the most finicky part of the reinstall process. I used a small dab of silicone to hold the metal plates in position -- let it set up overnight and proceeded with the riveting the following day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cav,

You can also pull the hinge pins by bending a little tab on the hinge which keeps the pin in place. This worked for me when I had my covers painted a couple of years ago.

I think there is pictures of this on the site but I can't find the old post.

Rick

Gerard knows the exact size of the replacement rivets and that is very important (diameter and length). Otherwise, you just drill the old ones out, and using a rivet gun, stamp the new rivets in.

These are the correct rivets! I have a few? PM me and I will mail them to you!

Mark

IMG_0677_zpsepftstpw.jpg

I needed to rehab a side case a few years ago after some SOB in Sault Ste. Marie ,Ontario, tried to break into it.

I just used a dremel tool to cut off the rivet heads and replaced them with a ss nut and bolt which I painted black.

Easy.

Thanks so much guys. I am going to drill them out and get it ready for Rivets or security bolts. (I am going with security bolts in case I have to fix it again. Plus I do not have a rivet gun. YES, I will use loctite on the new bolts.) This is a great board. I was a little hesitant to ask about a how to, because I might get flamed, but then again who cares........flaming is always part of the fun.

JMGRIF, thank you for the offer. I really appreciate the info. It would cost you more to ship them, than me buy them at NAPA.

Isn't sad that you have to worry about getting flamed on here?

You need thick skin and a manageable temper in order to stay positive around here. Or you need to take long vacations.