Niagara Falls! Slowly I turn, tep by step, inch by inch.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
Sometimes you just surrender. The ice wins.

DSC_1612%20Resized.jpg

In spite of the power of the falls and the resultant snow machine, the trees in the park await another new Spring that ins not far away.

DSC_1614%20Resized.jpg

The Niagara Falls from New York in frozen splendor.

DSC_1616%20Resized.jpg

The end of the rainbow is at hand, yet I won't leap.

DSC_1644%20Resized.jpg

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Niagara Falls, ON. When have you ever had this kind of view from a hotel room? Seriously, from the 38th floor overlooking the falls.

DSC_1633%20Resized.jpg

I have to say that Lake Tahoe as preserved its view of a natural feature, with a lot less intrusion, but it is another world from Niagara Falls, where if you want to enjoy the natural grandeur, you zoom in.

DSC_1632%20Resized.jpg

But when you pull out, the intrusion of tourism dominates the landscape.

DSC_1702%20Resized.jpg

Even the Falls are lit in perverse colors.]

DSC_1695%20Resized.jpg

But a beer and a view is a good thing sometimes...especially when it's cold.

DSC_1674%20Resized.jpg

More water flows over these falls than any other in the world. Riding is out of the question right now, so we do what we can to fill the time. It's not all that bad. Keep this in mind in the heat of summer.

DSC_1663%20Resized.jpg

The title of this thread is brought to you by the psychosis of a long winter, and how I feel more days than not.

Been there (in the summer), incredible scenery then...must be stunning all iced up now.

Thanks for the pics Tom. Hope you're enjoying winter!!

--G

It was 12 degrees F when we first approached the falls. The rising mist was freezing and carrying on the wind and plastering everything in sight. My wife posing with a scarf drawn across her face. Note the tourist binoculars coated in a helmet of ice.

DSC_1611%20Resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Laura and I went there with her brother and his girlfriend just a couple of Sundays ago, at night. I've lived in WNY a long time (with a 15-year break in between), but it seems when you live somewhere, you take it for granted. In the last few years, we have actively sought out the history and beauty of our 'neighborhood' and have learned much. I highly recommend everyone does a little local sightseeing in your own backyard!

Very cool pictures Tom, thanks. I was there in the fall of 72,the falls look the same except frozen.

Tahoe doesn't have any snow this year. :(

I grew up in Syracuse, my sister and her family live in and around Buffalo. Been there many times, but I've never gone there without visiting and staring at the falls for a good long time.

Guess you probably didn't go down here this trip, did you, Tom?

NewYork2014110_zps208eff3b.jpg