PIAA Slim Line Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup... Plenty of threads on the upgrade and totally worth it.. They are not a stebel loud but way way better then stock

Yup... Plenty of threads on the upgrade and totally worth it.. They are not a stebel loud but way way better then stock
And if you're a "overdo it" type of guy, you can install both the Stebel Nautilus horn under the lower triple tree and a set of PIAA Slimline horns in the stock locations. The noise is impressive!
crazy.gif

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=112666&view=findpost&p=520719

Used it yesterday and saw the driver physically jump in his seat.
A car yesterday turned a little wide and entered my lane, the smallest honk for my PIAAs sent them scurrying back into their lane, almost violently!

I just installed both horns last night and they sure as hell make an impressive sound. Honked them and my family came running out to the garage to see what happened.

Feel better about drawing attention to the fact I am about to get killed. "If you would be so kind as to not kill me today, I can then return to my wife and kids and fulfill my familial duties. Thanks so much."

And if you're a "overdo it" type of guy, you can install both the Stebel Nautilus horn under the lower triple tree and a set of PIAA Slimline horns in the stock locations. The noise is impressive!
crazy.gif

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=112666&view=findpost&p=520719
The bike could also be used as a 'sonic disruptor' device then.
weirdsmiley.gif

I just installed both horns last night and they sure as hell make an impressive sound. Honked them and my family came running out to the garage to see what happened.
Feel better about drawing attention to the fact I am about to get killed. "If you would be so kind as to not kill me today, I can then return to my wife and kids and fulfill my familial duties. Thanks so much."
One of the first upgrades to my bike. My favorite thing is to watch the tech jump while checking the horn for the state inspection. I guess he's expecting the usual 'meep, meep'
winksmiley02.gif

Pulled up to the local Pete's Coffee to meet up with a couple other guys for a day ride and a pinhead carrying a fancy mocha stepped out in front of me. I hit the button setting off the PIAA Slim Line's. He dropped the mocha and may have soiled his undies. Made my day!!!

They are a great upgrade. I'll stir the water a little here though. I"ve used the 400-500hz versions on several bikes and decided to try the 500-600 set this time and think they might do a slightly better job of getting attention. The db rating is the same but I think the slightly higher pitch/dissonance penetrates the steel and glass of the car better. Purely anecdotal results. ymmv

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a great upgrade. I'll stir the water a little here though. I"ve used the 400-500hz versions on several bikes and decided to try the 500-600 set this time and think they might do a slightly better job of getting attention. The db rating is the same but I think the slightly higher pitch/dissonance penetrates the steel and glass of the car better. Purely anecdotal results. ymmv
The older drivers won't hear you honking at them with the higher pitch though.

biggrin.png

I just (finally) installed my PIAA Sports Horns on my new bike,. I had a single PIAA Slimline matched with one of the stock horns on my 1st gen, and it worked well, but with the 3rd Gen only having a single wimpy horn (ridiculously ineffective) I knew a dual horn setup was needed.

The horns only set me back around $50 from Amazon (including ship-age) and the installation was not too difficult except for the need to add wiring to the second horn and fashion a mounting bracket, which I did a half-assed job of. Not a big problem for me, but others may find it more difficult.

But the increase in horn volume (loudness) is absolutely worth the 50 bucks. I don't use my horn very often here in the northeast, as I try not to ride in traffic, but when I do need it, I really want the driver in the cage with the music turned up too loud to hear it!

The older drivers won't hear you honking at them with the higher pitch though.

biggrin.png
Well, that's a possibility.
smile.png
I've lost a fair bit of my hearing at the higher frequencies above 10k hz, but that's not really what we're dealing with here. Both the 400/500 and 500/600 hz are well within range of your typical geezer. My experience so far in the past few months is the slightly higher pitch works better for getting attention.

Latest posts