First Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

Reaction score
If you remember my wife purchased me a 2005 FJR last month as my surprise. Well I just got it last night when I got home from work. My wife had included my father in law in the deal since he lives in Atlanta and that is where the bike was. It was suppose to be a surprise for me but she could not keep the cat in the bag and told me the day after she bought it. But she did not want her father to know I knew because it was important to him to surprise me with the bike.

So the past month I have been chomping at the bit waiting until he could bring the bike up and I would have to act surprised. Finally the time came yesterday. Lucky for me the roads did melt off enough for him to make the trip to Nashville. Work did not cooperate as we were suppose to close early but that did not happen so I got home well into darkness. When I arrived home they all came out to greet me at the car and then presented the bike to me. I managed to put up a good act. We took the bike off the trailer and put it in the garage. Unfortunately I picked up a GI bug at work and was not feeling well so I did not sleep well last night. Between running to the bathroom and wanting to check out my new bike sleep was rare.

Well today I got out in 30 degree weather, washed the bike, dried it, waxed it and then went for a ride. It feels much different from my cruiser. The engine reminds me of a jet engine driving down the road. It feels more solid and needless to say a lot more powerful! I am having to get use to the new position of foot controls and handling of the bike. When I hit the curves it seems to just fall into a line and ride right through. Much better handling even though it is a 150 pounds heavier than my cruiser. I am really having to fight the urge to head back out on the bike but I have to be a good host to my in laws.

Oh, I also had to hide the farkles I already bought for it. Cannot give away the prior knowledge!
bike.gif

Wow, that sounded like a great time to be had by all, especially by the FIL, thanks to you. (Your karma acct. just got a little bigger)

Everything to say about this bike is true, it feels like it could do it all w/o any input. Sorta like a good steed, just get on and it'll do the rest.

Congratulations on the bike and the wife who sounds like a winner. :)

Coming from a cruiser, the riding position might take some getting used to. The four creature comfort farkles for my '08 were a custom seat (ride in) Helibars, Cee Bailey 2=2 flip and riding pegs.

After that all I needed was seat time to get to know the virtues of the FJR.

Now all is well.

Well to the party. We're glad you are with us.

Miles and smiles, my friend.

The more the merrier!

The only thing uglier than an '05 FJR are riders of '05 FJRs.
smile.png

Just kidding, the '05 Blue was a fantastic color. Welcome to the FJR world. It always impresses me that the Gen1 bikes were and are so good. To think that they have continued to refine and improve is impressive.

I am curious as to what cruiser you had before that was 150 pounds lighter. Your Gen1 should weigh less than 640 pounds, I am not aware of any cruisers in the 490 pound range.

I hope that you enjoy your FJR more and more as you get more familiar with it.

Edit: What did your Father-In-Law think about the FJR? Did he enjoy his delivery ride?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new [to you] '05!

Sounds like you have already started making it yours...enjoy the bike!

--G

Hi want2ride,

It seems to me that you have a fantastic wife and outrageous in-laws. I'm very lucky myself.

Best regards

Steve

<snip #1> The engine reminds me of a jet engine driving down the road. It feels more solid and needless to say a lot more powerful!<snip #2> When I hit the curves it seems to just fall into a line and ride right through.
Yeah, how 'bout that? I agree: it's an amazing piece of machinery.

I am curious as to what cruiser you had before that was 150 pounds lighter. Your Gen1 should weigh less than 640 pounds, I am not aware of any cruisers in the 490 pound range.
His signature shows a Vulcan 500. A mini-cruiser
smile.png
Good heavens! He must be going through one heck of an adjustment!

If you've got the optional ABS on that bike, keep that rear brake flushed out. Seems the metering block has a history of clogging. Of course flushing the brakes now and then is a good idea anyway, but do the the frequency of rear anti lock brake issues with the 05, ya might wanna be a little OCD about flushing that fluid.

Anyway, aside from the failure of the rear circuit (front is fine) of the ABS, my 05's been running sweet since I bought it nearly 5 years ago. Enjoy... and welcome to the forum.

fjr1300wheelie_zpsbb4726a0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the vulcan is a 500. Bought it a couple of years ago to relearn my skills. It was almost 30 years between rides. The first wife made me get rid of the bike when I first got married among many other things and ways she tried to change and control me. 5 years ago she filed for divorce and I have not looked back since. The new wife asked me if I wanted to start riding again. I thought it best to start with a smaller bike and cheaper bike but one that was rated as good to start with. The size difference actually feels more at home to me than the vulcan did. Researched and sat on many other bikes before deciding the FJR was the one for me. Reading this forum was a big help on that decision.

Tell me more about flushing the ABS brakes. ABS I do not have much experience with on the mechanical side. Thanks for the heads up!

I had an '88 454 ltd - the precursor to the vulcan 500. Switching between it and the Yamaha 950 tourer I have, I found I enjoyed winding out the 454 more than I did the cruising aspect of the 950; but neither was a perfect "fit" for me.

The 454 and the 950 did good for me for 3 years... but even after buying those two, my dream ride turned to the fjr. And after having it for almost a year, I can't think of any other motorcycle I'd rather have.