WOW. My 2008 trade-in is still sitting on showroom floor....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernCruizer

Is it Beer:30 yet?
Reaction score
...so I traded my 2008 Gen II FJR against a 2013 Gen III back in December, 2012. Someone called me today and said they saw my old 2008 still for sale at the dealership. Sure enough, I checked the web site... .I noticed they removed the mileage from the ad...it has 88,000 miles on it. Wonder is this a record for a used FJR sitting on a dealer floor? LOL

I thought they offered me quite a bit for it at the time...guess they made a slight miscalculation.

https://www.gngonzales.com/2008YamahaFJR13AXB-inventory.htm?id=451857&used=1&vin=JYARP15E78A005369

That is really sad. I bought my ST1300 used from them waaay back when. I looked at your '08 on the floor there sometime last year, I knew it was yours but was not in the market for a Gen2 and they wanted too much money for it then.

I traded my poor ST1300 in at the other Baton Rouge Yamaha dealership (Friendly) on a Friday evening and it was sold the next Monday. Of course they asked a realistic price for it. Which is strange because the sales guy I dealt with wasn't all that clever.
no.gif
My salesman actually thought the inferior pink 2014 FJR was a better looking bike than my 2015 ES.

Has anyone noticed, or am I just weird ...

From '03 to '14 .... Add "000" to the year and you get a good starting price for any "average" FJR.

Maybe not for one with 88k on it though :D

When I walked in the showroom that day to check out the new '13 FJR, I hadn't planned on a purchase, just wanted to check out the color in person. They had just assembled it, and asked me if I wanted to take a test ride on it. They serviced if for me, and by the time I got back some 10 miles later, I knew I wanted it. When they threw a number at me for a trade that was easily a grand more than I had anticipated, i jumped on it.

I would have never dreamed that the '08 would still be sitting there some 27+ months later though. Makes ya wonder how they stay in business if they do more than one trade a blue moon like this.

And Dcarver...I think the "racing" stripes add at least a grand or two to the value LOL

My Yami dealer still has a silver 2011 FJR (brand new) on the floor. Was there 4 years ago also when I bought my left-over '09 of course. That color just never tripped my trigger, apparently everyone else as well.

I believe Penco Yamaha in Kalispell, Montana, still has a brand new '10 on the floor; been there five years. I think they're asking 11K and am told they won't deal.

I looked at some of the prices on the dealerships site This dealership is like some others I know. They ask ridiculous prices for machines that are not clearly worth that much in the open market. The dealership does not deal in open markets though. That is why I love the internet. It makes the dealerships that are gouging patrons have other options. I guess that is why I have bought items in far away places like Texas, Ohio, Indy, and Missouri.

Now that we are all clicking that link, I can see the sales manager saying, "Well, it's been sitting for years but suddenly we are getting lots of people looking at it on the web site. Better stick to our price!"

Canoe,

That is the types of things they say!!

The next thing out of my mouth would be lowish/realistic offer accompanied with "my mama always told me a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush". In my best Forest Gump voice of course.

I know I would wind up leaving empty handed, but I would leave my business card with him.

“There’s a sucker born every minute.”

And now the rest of the story.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

A: P. T. Barnum, you say? Pretty close, but no. Although nearly always attributed to Barnum, the aphorism about suckers was actually delivered by Barnum’s rival David Hannum, a grade-A sucker himself. You see, in the 1860s, tobacconist John Hull created an elaborate, money-making hoax in which he had a 10-foot-tall stone statue of a man carved and then buried in Cardiff, New York. The giant stone man was then dug up again and Hull was now able to sell it as an archaeological oddity. In 1869, Hannum and four business partners took the bait and paid $37,500 for the worthless artifact thinking that they could turn a profit by charging people to get a glimpse of it.

A lot of buzz was generated about the giant (was he a petrified biblical figure? an ancient Native American statue? a distant ancestor of Bill Walton?), and as thousands of people began to pay good money to get a gander, it looked like Hannum’s investment was going to pay off quite nicely. That is, until clever P. T. Barnum entered the pictur

Always the sly one, Barnum built a giant of his own and claimed that it was the true Cardiff Giant – a fake of a fake! When people flocked to see Barnum’s creation, hapless Hannum (who didn’t even know at that point that he himself had paid roughly 40 grand for a fake) mused at the on-lookers, “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

Last edited by a moderator:
My local dealer buddy still has a new 2007 AE sitting on his floor. He had to buy it so the factory warranty is expired. Anybody interested in a new AE?

We live in cruiser country... I hate to see it just sit there.

My local dealer buddy still has a new 2007 AE sitting on his floor. He had to buy it so the factory warranty is expired. Anybody interested in a new AE?
We live in cruiser country... I hate to see it just sit there.
I'll offer 5,000 peso.

There are, of course, dealers who price their bikes (both new and used) to move. Others seem content to sit on them for years. The HD/Triumph dealer here always seems to have quite a few new Triumphs on the floor that are 3-4 years old. I suspect that it depends somewhat on whether or not they are carrying a "floor plan" and having to pay interest on their inventory.

No way I'd even look at the '08 with that many miles at that price or tell anyone who's in the market about it.

No wonder it's sitting there with I have a dream pricing...take about $4K off and it might move.
--G
+1 and that it's been the worst time of year for bike sales. Few people go looking to buy new bikes when there's snow on the ground.

He had to buy it (2007) so the factory warranty is expired. Anybody interested in a new AE?
Screw him. It sounds like one of those dealers who fabricated a PdP buyer so they could have one on the floor. Since the buyer didn't really exist the YES expired while it set looking to sell. The title will be "used/without factory warranty" on a 2007 so he'll have to eat the difference knowing it was his own fault.

Last edited by a moderator: