Hydration System Finally Done!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twigg

Just an old, bald man!
Reaction score
We are all aware, by now, that if you want to ride far, especially in the heat of the summer, some kind of on-board hydration system helps

Drinking when you are thirsty is not enough. You need to be drinking enough that you don't get thirsty in the first place. Get the balance right and you don't need extra bathroom breaks either.

I had a system on the Venture Royale, but I wanted to improve it while keeping it simple and affordable.

The easy way is to mount a Coleman Cooler and fit it with a drinking tube and bite valve. So far so good but that doesn't address the need to wet-down the inside of your jacket when the going gets warm. So some kind of pumped system (it just got more complex) was in order.

Requirements are to be able to drink on the move. To have the ability to get water inside my jacket. To be able to remove just the jug for quick refills, and to be able to remove the whole lot from the bike quickly and easily.

Here is what I came up with:

The 90 degree bite valve helps with the need to drink while wearing a helmet ... a modular helmet helps even more
biggrin.png
The button is a momentary switch for the pump

DSCN0160-L.jpg

At the other end of that arrangement is a Coleman 1 gallon cooler sitting alongside my auxiliary gas tank

DSCN0156-L.jpg

The clear tube is attached to the pump inside the cooler

DSCN0158-L.jpg

The water tube has a quick disconnect right on the lid of the cooler, and the wiring goes to two Amps connectors alongside the seat

DSCN0157-L.jpg

When I want to re-fill I disconnect the upper wiring connector and the tube at the cooler lid. Pull the cooler, refill then reverse.

If I want to remove everything disconnect the Amps connector by the seat gap and tuck the wiring under the seat .... Sorted!

I may tidy it up a little with some 90 degree pipe connectors and a replacement for that horrible brass piece, but it is all working well.

Hope this helps someone.

ps ... I could have mounted the cooler on the right rear passenger footpeg. I didn't because I had the space above, and I like to use those pegs when I have a lot of "boring stuff" (Kansas) to cross. However, for the lower mounting position, the pump is even more useful ... less sucky!

Last edited by a moderator:
how does the pump get pass the bite valve when you use it to wet down inside the jacket....??

could you provide more info on the pump and switch???

how does the pump get pass the bite valve when you use it to wet down inside the jacket....??
It's powerful enough to push past it. It's also close enough that I can get my hand on both at the same time.

Looks good. Once you're finished with the pump, you blow the remaining water in the hose back into the cooler?How long does one gallon last on a really warm ride?
I haven't tried "blowing back" yet. However, I have used many of this type of pump before (they are standard fitments on UK RVs), and usually they drain back, so it should be fine.

I ran a rally in August 2012 partly in Texas. The temp that day rose to 117F. The gallon I set out with at 10.00am was gone by 3.00 pm, and I used another gallon before 10.00pm that night. I drink it freely because there are few gas stations or fast food restaurants that will refuse a refill. Generally they are just impressed you are riding in that heat.

Fill the cooler with ice first. Then fill with cold water and it normally stays cold all day. Even warm it is okay to drink and still works well for soaking your t-shirt.

I like the "list" price for the pump in the Amazon ad. $1155.99! Marked down to $25.68.

Didn't catch the "list price" ... I paid the $25.

I did check one thing though. The pump is self-priming (obviously), and it does drain back through, so you can blow back the water in the tube when you are done.

Twig,

I'm digging this setup and it brings to mind hydration as the one part of my bike that I've severely neglected. As of now I roll with a camelback but I need to get the ball rolling on a setup like this. Thanks for posting.

The Coleman 1 Gallon jugs fit perfectly into an 8" frying pan. Get one from the Dollar Store. Remove the handle and bolt it to the rear footpeg.

All you need to add are straps, and a Dremel will cut nice slots in the pan to take them.

Nice job twigg. I take it u don't use a cooling vest. I gotta come up w something for this July's 8k mi Rockies trip.
I've always thought them a decent option for a shorter ride where there are no pressures of time, but pouring water down the inside of my jacket seems to work well.

Latest posts