Close enough

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BritRider

Reaction score
Time for the 600 mile service. Doing it myself so wish me luck.

20150322_093352.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this has been covered in many other threads. Just wanted to warn new FJR riders to watch out for the oil filter torque. Dealer must have had an off day when installing mine. I couldn't shift it, had to punch a hole with hammer and screwdriver to get it to turn.

I know this has been covered in many other threads. Just wanted to warn new FJR riders to watch out for the oil filter torque. Dealer must have had an off day when installing mine. I couldn't shift it, had to punch a hole with hammer and screwdriver to get it to turn.
If ya think the filter was tight, wait till you get to the drain plug.
rolleyes.gif

If it isn't tight drain plugs, it's the filter...

Have fun getting to know your FJR 'Brit, give it a good once over and it'll be good for another 200K!

--G

The original filter would have come on the bike from the factory. Maybe they don't lube the o-ring's when they put them on? :unsure:

I have an oil filter wrench that slips over the filter and engages the finger dimples in the end. You just need to make sure to get the right size for our small filters. That one works > 95% of the time.

740-331_A.jpg

In the event of a truly stubborn filter I have a strap style filter wrench that tightens on the outside of the filter as you crank it. That one never fails if you can get it on there, which you can, with a little fiddling around, on an FJR

6289458.JPG

The original filter would have come on the bike from the factory. Maybe they don't lube the o-ring's when they put them on?
unsure.png

I have an oil filter wrench that slips over the filter and engages the finger dimples in the end. You just need to make sure to get the right size for our small filters. That one works > 95% of the time.

740-331_A.jpg

In the event of a truly stubborn filter I have a strap style filter wrench that tightens on the outside of the filter as you crank it. That one never fails if you can get it on there, which you can, with a little fiddling around, on an FJR

6289458.JPG
I have an oil filter wrench similar to yours above, only mine is plastic. My plastic one has to much give in it. As I tried to turn the filter, the wrench slips around. Worked OK for years on my ST. Will also work next time on the FJR as I only went hand tight on the new filter.

Of all the filter wrenches in my toolbox, I've found this one

u46acl-details.jpg

works the best on my FJR. The narrow band slides between the end of the filter and the mount for the highway pegs without any problem, the band tightens to exactly what i need and the handle provides plenty of leverage for loosening tight filters.

I use the afore mentioned cap and grip tools when filters are somewhat inaccessible. For the bike I just reach for these
71kjipCPwNL._SL1500_.jpg
and be done with it.
That's the one I use. Fits all filters and has other uses. I'm not planning on using the take off.

Don't get me started on "oil filter torques"! The filter has an "O" ring.....tighten until the filter body contacts the engine case.....STOP! Any more tightening will only result in deforming the oil filter. Is anyone in agreement?
fool.gif

Don't get me started on "oil filter torques"! The filter has an "O" ring.....tighten until the filter body contacts the engine case.....STOP! Any more tightening will only result in deforming the oil filter. Is anyone in agreement?
fool.gif
*1 Lube the o-ring and no more than finger tight.

fool.gif
Not quite... as Bob said, lube the gasket with a little engine oil, spin on until the gasket contacts the base and then 1/2 turn more by hand.

+1 to that

There is no need to use any tools to install a spin on oil filter, or to keep tightening it until the filter's metal body contacts anything.

Just tighten it by (usually somewhat greasy) hand and you will never over tighten it. And you'd have to be pretty limp-wristed to under tighten it. ;)

+1 to that
There is no need to use any tools to install a spin on oil filter, or to keep tightening it until the filter's metal body contacts anything.

Just tighten it by (usually somewhat greasy) hand and you will never over tighten it. And you'd have to be pretty limp-wristed to under tighten it.
wink.png
Gunny. If tightened like that you will not need any tools to take it off.

+1 to that

Just tighten it by (usually somewhat greasy) hand and you will never over tighten it. And you'd have to be pretty limp-wristed to under tighten it. ;)
Gunny. If tightened like that you will not need any tools to take it off.
Absolutely true and as far as removal, I have a three pronged claw thingy that automatically tightens itself and works better than anything I've used.