Can Farkles Void YES Extended Service Plan?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleetho

Reaction score
I put my 2012 FJR1300 for sale on the local CL. Somebody emailed me all my farkles aka mods have voided the YES that is good until 2019.

My farkles are, a Cee Bailey windshield, Corbin seat, Givi rack, dual power-let kit, peg extenders, frame sliders.

I don't see how any of those items, with the possible exception of the powerlet, could ever be a reason to deny a warranty claim. He said I most definitely voided any warranty on the electrical system with the addition of the power-lets. I think he is full of crapola,

Has anybody here had a warranty issue denied because and any modifications?

He is full of crapola. However, if, for instance, you installed an electrical item poorly and it caused damage to the bike, then it would not be covered

Some people are very anti modifications. We all have friends who keep their bikes completely stock and look at you weirdly if you say, "Have you ever considered a suspension upgrade, new seat, windshield,...?"

Guess he won't be buying my bike. Two others are coming to look at it this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.

Someone dropped that guy on his head and voided his warranty. The dealer would have to prove that your farkel directly caused the problem, how would a windshield, seat, rack cause any electrical problem. Now if your put a car tire on the back and you have something go wrong with the final drive you may be denied the claim.

Only if the car tire was on the bike when it went to the dealer. Not that there is a single reported FD failure on a bike with a car tire mounted.

Craigslist idiot. They're common. I'm worried about forgetting to document some obscure maintenance item and having YES not honored. Not worried at all about farkles and warranty.

Well at least you know you won't be selling it to him or at least I wouldn't just out of principle of him being an assclown.

He is full of crapola. However, if, for instance, you installed an electrical item poorly and it caused damage to the bike, then it would not be covered
That is exactly right. If the dealer can prove causality then there could be a warranty issue for that specific thing (not the whole bike/warranty). Like using the wrong oil, if proven to cause engine failure. It wouldn't void the warranty on the frame or chassis.

Why would you let a moronic statement by a complete stranger bother you? It's up to you to be informed about the bike you are selling and know the implications, if any, of what you added or removed from the bike.

That only voids the warranty if the farkel is a set of flags and the motorcycle is a Harley Davidson.
The above quote is another questionable statement...bordering on anti-patriotic in my book. What you got against the American flag anyway??? Maybe you should consider how to mount one on your Jap bike. I can mount one on my Jap bike. And I have a damn big one on my Harley. So what's your problem?

Why would you let a moronic statement by a complete stranger bother you? It's up to you to be informed about the bike you are selling and know the implications, if any, of what you added or removed from the bike.

That only voids the warranty if the farkel is a set of flags and the motorcycle is a Harley Davidson.
The above quote is another questionable statement...bordering on anti-patriotic in my book. What you got against the American flag anyway??? Maybe you should consider how to mount one on your Jap bike. I can mount one on my Jap bike. And I have a damn big one on my Harley. So what's your problem?
Jeeze dude, breathe! The Harley/Flag reference was made because of a thread here maybe a year ago. I'd swear you've been around long enough to have seen it, but maybe you missed it.

Basically, some guy on a Harley had a large number of flags flying from his bike on what we can only assume was a daily basis. His clutch burned out and Harley denied the claim stating the flags were causing an excessive amount of drag and were the cause of the clutch dying prematurely. It was great fun with opinions all over the place, some pirate jokes, some Harley bashing, and basic goofing off. If you Google "Harley denies warranty due to flags," you get a bunch of hits, including this gem: https://jalopnik.com/harley-denied-this-guys-warranty-for-flying-flags-but-1584531157

So, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelax, and maybe go for a ride. ;)

Lowcountry, I too would love to fly some flags on a J.A.P motorcycle, but seeing how they quit making them in the fifties, it's not really feasible.

But I agree with you... that J.A. Prestwich brit bike ain't no Harley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next time somebody says, "installing that (insert thingamagig of your choice) on your (insert vehicle of your choice) will void your warranty", tell 'em to Google:

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Here's an executive summary of the part of the Act that applies to the subject at hand:

1. Warranties cannot be voided simply because an after-market part is used on your vehicle.
  2. Warranty repairs can only be denied when it can be proven than an after-market part caused the failure.
  3. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer – the dealership must show that a specific after-market part caused a problem in order to deny a warranty claim.
  4. When an after-market part is the cause of a specific problem, only the warranty for that problem can be denied. Other, unrelated problems are still covered under warranty.
  5. The dealership or manufacturer cannot require consumers to use a particular brand of part or require service to be completed at a specific location as a condition of their warranty.

Jeeze dude, breathe! The Harley/Flag reference was made because of a thread here maybe a year ago. I'd swear you've been around long enough to have seen it, but maybe you missed it.

Basically, some guy on a Harley had a large number of flags flying from his bike on what we can only assume was a daily basis. His clutch burned out and Harley denied the claim stating the flags were causing an excessive amount of drag and were the cause of the clutch dying prematurely. It was great fun with opinions all over the place, some pirate jokes, some Harley bashing, and basic goofing off. If you Google "Harley denies warranty due to flags," you get a bunch of hits, including this gem: https://jalopnik.com/harley-denied-this-guys-warranty-for-flying-flags-but-1584531157

So, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelax, and maybe go for a ride.
wink.png
BTW, supertanker60a3's post said, non-specifically, 'set of flags'.