Preparing for Lap of Florida, first Run at IBA Certification & first Vacation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbuddha

Reaction score
Coming in May, I will be attempting my first IBA ride, it will include the SS1000 24 hours, SS2000 48 hours, an Bun Burner 1500 36 hours, a lap of the 4 points in Florida 44 hours, and an in-state 1000+ miles in florida. I am trying to set the trip up to include all of these, so that in the event I don't complete some, I will still have knocked out at least one! But who knows maybe I can do all of them!

I have only been riding 6 months, so I am relatively inexperienced, but I have been preparing to buy a bike and complete an IBA certified ride believe it or not for 6 years. For my part I have been averaging appox. 1000 miles a month since I bought my bike riding in temps down to 15 degrees, up to 100 in the summer, and in the rain.

My first major bike modification is that I will be darksiding the bike, giving me a month and a half to get used to the new tire.

2nd major modification, new PR2 for the front.

Additional purchases: 60 liter waterproof drybag, Rain jacket & pants, underarmour for cold & wet nights,

Hope to complete fix of missing parts for J&M headset, (bought bike used), need cable that connects from bike to headset gear.

Planned route Start in Perdido Key, FL, go to Amelia Island, then Key West, Marco Island, St Pete and back to Perdido Key. I have friends in Punta Gorda, and Jacksonville, that can provide rest stops.

This is my first vacation in almost 20 years, any help or advice that will make this trip stay low budget is greatly appreciated.

I just drove back to Atlanta from Ft. Lauderdale on my FJR. I def. used my rain gear through today's showers. Since it was an 8 hour ride from Tampa and 4 hours between West Palm Beach area back to Tampa. Make sure all your maintenance is caught up and test ride your bike. New season so I changed my battery thinking it was weak but since I changed engines I think my generator is weak is not leaving a good charge to restart the bike. The highway pegs on this site do wonders on such a long trip. If you don't have a custom seat I suggest getting a cheap but decent pillow for your seat. I need new suspension on my bike and since the setup for the suspension was "hard" I felt the bumps and road vibration all the way up till North Florida. Beware areas I-95 near West Palm Beach is very bumpy and people drive around 90mph avg. So I would have a reflective vest for night riding if you so decide to travel at night. It was very warm/ hot during noon driving from West Palm Beach to Tampa. A jacket with a liner would be great. If I were you since you making this long trip try to travel along the locations near Cycle Gear. It is a good store to get some things you might have forgot. You leave room in your bags you can store some things from the store. They don't work on bikes but sell the things you need and have 10 locations around Florida. Also Cycle Gear holds bike nights so maybe you can meet new people along you ride like I did. Def. get the headset parts because it makes the trip go by quicker. If you have battery tender with a SAE connection to your bike you can go online and get a SAE to USB connection. Then get the Rambone mount off the forum and X grip mount to hold your cell phone and keep it charged. Work great to keep the (Pandora) music going and talk on the phone. Well IF got any other question can send me a PM. I covered over 500 miles today with yesterday 220 the previous day so going back to bed.

Most importantly get to know your bike. I learned a while ago my brakes aren't great in downpours. So test ride your bike in all conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any precise dates that you will be attempting this ride?

You should read up on the IBA site concerning long distance tips and "Ride within a ride" rules.

Ira Agins is the man if you have any questions concerning your ride rules. I did the Lap of Florida Gold

a few years back. Where do you plan your start/finish? Timing is VERY important on this ride. All of the 4

corners are tourist traps, so plan to hit them off hours if possible.

How many miles have you ridden in 24 hours? Your seat would be my first concern. Russell Day Long is your

answer if you plan on riding long distance. It will be hot by then (Mid 80s already) Plan your Key West leg at night.

You will pass right by my home in West Palm Beach. I can help you with most issues you may encounter. Depending

on your May timing. I will be riding to Alaska via Arizona, so I will be on the road for 10 days myself.

Any questions you have I can try and answer. I also have 3 RDL seats (2 Gen 2) that you will be dying for after

500 or so miles. I have the gear if you need help. You might try practicing riding in heavy downpours for training.

You will have forum members all along your route - make contacts ASAP.

It is a fun ride if your timing is good!

-Tony

Just a couple of thoughts:

+1 on the LD Comfort shorts...they really do help.

At this late point in your planning, forget about the RDL seat or any other aftermarket seat. Most likely you won't have time to get one made up anyways. You should be able to do this ride without too much discomfort. A sheep skin cover should suffice for the time being. Besides, if your caboose does hurt like the dickens after the ride is completed, it'll only help in your justification in getting a RDL seat later on. Be sure you care to ever do another cert. ride before making that investment. IMHO of course.

Don't concern yourself with trying to meet new people on this ride. If it happens then it happens. The important thing is you have a goal you'd like to reach so that should be your primary focus through out this ride.

If before you take off and you know there might be something in question mechanically, like poor brakes in the rain, by ALL MEANS get them fixed before you head out. There is absolutely no excuse for putting yourself in jeapordy like that. There will be enough stress on this ride you don't need to be concerning yourself with mechanical demons.

As Tony stated, read and reread the tips offered at the IBA website. Some quality suggestions there put together by people who've been through it a gazillion times.

Just remember, have fun and enjoy enough it. Also remember, this isn't the only time you can try this. There can always be another time. There's no shame in re-trying it if it doesn't work out this time.

OK, so I contributed 3 cents.

The RDL is here at my place should you need it.

I live right off I-95 and will be through Alabama many times this summer if you don't want to swing clear down south to drop it off. Ride on your stock here- then try the RDL the rest off the ride. ... Just an offer...

Where is your start/finish point?

To clarify on Cycle gear Bike Nights if you happen to run across one it is cool to meet some people and get free food. Also they normally raffle off a $50 gift card at the end of the night. Bight night on avg. is one day a month from 5pm to 8pm. The store up here in GA raffled off a SET of tires. I wish I was at that one. I got numerous bikes so free food and chance to win cash is always a positive for me. I happened to run across two bike nights on my short stay in Fl.

Tenatively planning to leave the week of May 4 (Monday) with the end return date by May 8 (Friday).

• Leave Prattville, AL, late at night/early morning. I want to start in Perdido Key probably early morning at the Flora Bama Bar/Restaurant or the Waffle house open (24 hours) nearby (Witnesses).
  • My hope is to rest a few hours in Jacksonville at a buddy's house, head down to the Keys, and on the return trip stop in The Port Charlotte area for rest at another buddy's house.
  • Return back through St. Pete (I like bridges) to the Keys, and catch the ferry across to Dauphin Island, (do I need tie downs for that?), then head back to Montgomery on I-65.
  • If I feel that I can't make any section of the trip my friends houses are my throw in the towel points.
  • I have 5 days to do a trip which I should be finished with in 44 hours or less.
The previous owner had a custom seat installed which I have had no comfort issues with.

Just got portable air pump from cyclepump today.

Anybody know any great yamaha dealers for service in case of emergency! Just want to make a list for back up, Forum members feel free to add your self to the list.

Good luck 'Buddha.

Best advice I can offer is get as much extended seat time as possible and be completely comfortable on the bike. Plan the ride, ride the plan and keep the wheels moving.

Have fun!

--G

Buddha-

You like bridges? - This ride is for you!

The stretch from the NE corner down to Jax is

great at night with lit bridges. The SE corner - you have a highway of bridges (The 7 mile bridge at sunrise is sweet)

Don't get too wrapped up though, I rode the ride straight through, and there is about 30 hours of riding put into this 32 / 44 hour ride.

I will be home during your ride, so I will PM you my contact info. Are you running any tracking device? If so, are you sharing the ride?

and catch the ferry across to Dauphin Island, (do I need tie downs for that?)
Nope. Very smooth ride. Infact I didn't really see a place to use tie downs.

There was a long line of cars but they waved me right to the front. They are good about getting motorcycles and walk-ons on the very next ferry.

20130803_141029-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got in Cee Bailey headlight covers, today and Cee Bailey's airplane/Motorcycle water beading spray. Ordering hydration system and tank bag to put it in today!

If I get the LD Comfort shorts, do I wear that with or without underwear? I have already gotten some high tech wicking underwear from the Hanes/Fruit of the loom people I think? Do I need both?

The RDL is here at my place should you need it.I live right off I-95 and will be through Alabama many times this summer if you don't want to swing clear down south to drop it off. Ride on your stock here- then try the RDL the rest off the ride. ... Just an offer...

Where is your start/finish point?
Very generous of you Tony. :) If I were the OP, I would be looking you up. I think it would be worth it for him to buy you a nice lunch, not for the seat loan, just for the wealth of knowledge you could lend his ears. Looking at his signature line, I think this may come in handy.

If I get the LD Comfort shorts, do I wear that with or without underwear? I have already gotten some high tech wicking underwear from the Hanes/Fruit of the loom people I think? Do I need both?

LD Comfort would be your base gear- alone.
Then again . . . what he had for dinner might factor in.
rolleyes.gif
(Happy Friday!)