Yamaha Y.E.S. Warranty Claims

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Who among you has:

• Made a repair claim or had a problem diagnosed that was covered under the Y.E.S. warranty
  • Been asked by the dealer to provide proof of maintenance
  • For those who don't have all maintenance done by the dealer, had repair/replacement delayed or denied based upon insufficient or contested maintenance records
I figure not that many folks answer yes to the first bullet, but someone has to have been through the process. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had any issues with the Y.E.S. warranty, in any way. I had many things covered. Maybe I just have a good dealer with good mechanics, that know how to bill for such things.

Did you have all scheduled maintenance performed by a Yamaha dealer, or was there a mix? If all service was not performed at a Yamaha dealer, what documentation, if any, was requested by the servicing dealer?

I had several claims with my Y.E.S. warranty. Wind shield seal, covers on handle bars, leaking fork seals:

Been asked by the dealer to provide proof of maintenance

nope, not a hint of any such requirement

For those who don't have all maintenance done by the dealer, had repair/replacement delayed or denied based upon insufficient or contested maintenance records and Did you have all scheduled maintenance performed by a Yamaha dealer, or was there a mix? If all service was not performed at a Yamaha dealer, what documentation, if any, was requested by the servicing dealer?

I had no maintenance or service done by a dealer prior. None. Never came up, never questioned, no delays whatsoever.

Based on my experience it sounds like you're working up a lather for nothing. Just sayin'.

No lather involved. I showed my confidence in the machine and the warranty with my wallet. Just wanted some firsthand experiences to counter the anecdotal admonitions so frequently offered about warranty and maintenance record concerns (another thread in this forum brought it to mind). Thanks.

The only "proof" required for a warranty claim is to show the

problem, regardless of what it is, existed during the

warranty period of coverage.

You're not even required to get it rectified during the

warranty period.

Who among you has:
  • Made a repair claim or had a problem diagnosed that was covered under the Y.E.S. warranty
  • For those who don't have all maintenance done by the dealer, had repair/replacement delayed or denied based upon insufficient or contested maintenance records
I figure not that many folks answer yes to the first bullet, but someone has to have been through the process. Thanks.
Never had to make a claim. Proof wouldn't have been an issue because I keep a detailed maintenance folder that includes all the work I've done myself. It also includes all modifications with receipts that have the date and mileage written on each.

When buying used bikes, I look for this from the previous owner. It adds value to the bike.

Did you have all scheduled maintenance performed by a Yamaha dealer, or was there a mix? If all service was not performed at a Yamaha dealer, what documentation, if any, was requested by the servicing dealer?
I do my own oil changes...everything else (as they feel need be) has been done at the dealer. They warrantied fork seals, rear shock, cam chain tensioner, water pump seal, and a few other things. Never questioned anything. Anytime I took it in with a problem, they would say "don't worry, you have the Y.E.S. warranty"...Best money I think I ever spent.

I'm glad Bill asked this question and even happier that no one has reported having warranty work denied.

Many people rely on dealers to do all their maintenance. There is a presumption made that the dealer does all the work called for in Yamaha's maintenance schedule. I think that in many cases dealers skip the hard jobs when a customer comes in and says, for instance, "I need a 28,000 mile service." For example, does the dealer inquire about whether or not the swingarm was lubed in the past? So imagine having a warranty claim denied because a service item was overlooked by the dealer denying the claim.

If I'm not mistaken the warranty is tied to the VIN number and you shouldn't need any paperwork. Mama Yama should know.

Have used my YES also. Nothing big, but enough to cover my warranty cost 4x over. Having a good dealer helps, because those guys got my rear shock replaced by YES, but never had a problem or a real question.

It was always, "It's broken? Ok, it's covered."

Have used my YES also. Nothing big, but enough to cover my warranty cost 4x over. Having a good dealer helps, because those guys got my rear shock replaced by YES, but never had a problem or a real question.
It was always, "It's broken? Ok, it's covered."
Same sort of exchange at many Beemer shops, "It's broken? Now what the hell did you do?"

I was Yamaha Dealer #252890 from 1999 - 2006.

We sold many YES plans and processed a fair # of claims during that time.

When the Service Manager calls Yamaha for a regular warranty claim approval when something is just a little funky or too close to the edge the Yamaha rep always asked "Does the customer have YES?"

If the answer was yes, I never saw a regular warranty claim denied for any reason.

Once out of warranty, but still covered by YES we, to my knowledge, never had a YES claim denied for any reason.

I cannot recall Yamaha asking to see service records for any repair either. I'm pretty sure I would have heard about any problems because the Service Manager reported to me.

I've had many customers come into my office and thank me for ensuring they purchased the YES plan when they bought their bike or just before their warranty expired. We called every customer at the warranty expiration point to give them a final opportunity topurchase YES.

I bought YES when I bought my Gen III.

If there was an "I Believe Button" I'd be the first one in line to push it!

Having spent many a year as a Service Writer/Manager/Warranty Administrator, including with Yamaha, I can attest to what bigjohnsd stated.

I also know that Yamaha stands behind their products better than most and will, depending upon circumstances, even cover something that is out of warranty or not listed as covered, as a one time deal mind you. But this really depends on the dealer. Over the years, what I found that was in most cases where something questionable was rejected was due to just a couple of different reasons. A poor dealership that didn't want or even know how to help. Owners who think that a YES contract will cover everything including abuse. Owners who come in demanding something and start off hostile.

My advise is thus. If you have an issue and the dealer says sorry not covered, don't be afraid to ask for special consideration... If they are unwilling to make the call, call the Mfg yourself, and then start taking it somewhere else. And don't be a dick. You know what I mean. If you go in with a chip on your shoulder making demands and treating people like shit, well then you will probably get shitty service. But most importantly, read and understand your owners manual and your YES contract! This more than anything will stop the aggravations associated with the confusion of what is or isn't covered.

Just my .02 worth

WHS

WHS is spot on. If you come in acting like a pompous ass I'm not likely to go out of my way to help you. Those that come in asking for help instead of demanding service usually fare better in the world of discretionary warranty repairs. But you know, that GD Stealer, he's just out to make a quick buck by screwing everyone, once? Great business model, try it and see how long the doors stay open!

1) Yes. On my '05 FJR the Throttle Response Sensor (correct name?) acted up in May of '12 and when I limped into the Yamaha dealership in West Omaha (NE), the dealer replaced it for me as it was covered under the Yamaha (not YES) warranty for a known technical issue. Nonetheless, 7 years later? Pretty darn fine!

2) No. Was not asked to provide proof of maintenance.

3) No.

Who among you has:

Never had to make a claim. Proof wouldn't have been an issue because I keep a detailed maintenance folder that includes all the work I've done myself. It also includes all modifications with receipts that have the date and mileage written on each.

When buying used bikes, I look for this from the previous owner. It adds value to the bike.
I suppose I am lucky. I have had three FJR's all covered with Y.E.S. and never had to make a claim. I do my own oil & filter, final drive, and coolant changes. I keep detailed records on my work as well as that done by dealers.

So far it appears no one has had a claim refused under the Y.E.S. Warranty?

Latest posts