A little sad to see the '08 go

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHound

Reaction score
Sorry but this is a little long and mushy. I usually don’t have any emotion towards inanimate objects. I have owned and sold numerous bikes over the years and have missed some a little after they were gone like my Blackbird but for the most part have just moved on to the next new shiny sparkly toy without remorse or further thought. I have to admit though that seeing my ’08 FJR leave on a trailer last night gave me a slightly greater pang of sadness.

It didn’t have a lot of miles on it, 16,802 to be exact. By FJR standards it was barely broken in. But those were important and memorable miles. About 7500 of them were the result of my cross-country trip from PA to CA and back…alone. It was probably not the wisest choice to leave for that epic trip in January of 2013 but I had the time and a window of opportunity that I didn’t know if or when would present itself again so I took it. The weather was not cooperative. Rain, wind, snow, ice, more snow and temps down to 19 degrees slowed my trip on the way out but I made it. I felt that leaving the bike in CA until May and then returning would ensure a less weather-eventful trip back home. Snow in the Rocky Mountains, ridiculously strong winds across the plains of northeastern Colorado and into Nebraska and then steady rains throughout the mid-west while dodging tornadoes and super cells proved that theory wrong.

Through it all though, the FJR never so much as hiccupped, hesitated, protested or resisted. It enthusiastically jumped to life each and every time I pushed the start button. It powered my heated gear, shook off the ice coating, shed the rain, stayed upright in the crosswinds, avoided any tire wrecking debris and didn’t cast off any pieces or parts along the way. I reluctantly admit that during the course of this trek I did on occasion find myself talking to the bike with encouraging words, congratulations and gratitude. I don’t think one could avoid bonding with a machine under these circumstances.

For everything there is a season though and I simply could not resist the allure and newness of a ’14 FJR ES so when the new redhead took up residence in my garage I knew it was time to sell the old FJR. With this sale however I not only hoped for a decent price but also that it would go to someone who would appreciate it like I had. So when the new prospective buyer contacted me despite 5” of newly fallen snow on the first day of spring I felt at least this guy “get’s it” and has the optimism and desire to anticipate the joys that will be brought forth with this bike once the weather becomes a bit more cooperative this season. This feeling was reinforced after meeting him, discussing the bike, seeing his enthusiasm, understanding and appreciation of what the FJR was and how I had lovingly and fastidiously maintained it. It was all brought home when instead of coming back the following weekend to pick it up he instead called me back two days later to ask if he could get it right away to which I gladly agreed.

We loaded the FJR onto his trailer and both shared a concerned nervousness as to whether it was secured properly for the trip. It is his FJR now and I can only hope that he has the same positive experiences that I did with the raven. The new FJR gives me solace but I will miss the old one just a little more than any other bike I have owned in the past.

Nicely put. You have a gift for the language. And I have shared some of these sentiments, like actually thanking the bike when it surefootedly brought me though something particularly hairy; like selling my Blackbird to an old friend who later hanged himself in his garage and me buying the 'Bird back, then reselling it to my nephew; seeing my old '83 CB1100F which I owned and rode for 10 years roll down my driveway with a stranger aboard... I get it. This human can become sentimentally attached to a machine. They become associated with important events in our lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same feeling last Friday. I had (key word) a 2006 FJR I bought back in 2009 with 20,000 miles on it. Great bike - I have been in many of the 50 states with that bike; the Rockies, West Coast, North East, South East, deep south and many places in between. Last fall, the bike had 94,000 miles on it and I fell in love with the thought of the 2014 ES in the Candy Apple Red. I found a great deal on one late in the season (middle of October) and I pulled the trigger. I spent part of the winter getting the new FJR ready for riding season and then posted the 2006 for sale. A younger guy (30 year old - younger than me) came to look at it and I could tell he fell in love with it immediately. There was 1 slight problem. He had to sell his current bike before he could buy mine; that was the agreement with his wife. I figured he would be back. We connected a few times; "Is the bike still for sale? I have someone interested in mine but they have haven't bought it" - you know the story.

Late Friday afternoon I got the text - "I didn't sell my bike yet but I found the cash to buy yours - can I pick it up tonight? I am going to be out of town for the weekend and the weather next week doesn't look to good". I told him unfortunately it would late before I got back home. "OK" he texted back - (I could feel his disappointment in the text). As things worked out, I wrapped things up early and texted him back - "I'll be home by 8:30 p.m. - you still want to get it tonight?" He quickly replied "I'll be right there!" At 8:45 p.m., dark, and 40 degrees he arrived with money in hand. I showed him all the goodies that went with the bike and some service tips. When we were done talking, he put on his Carhart coveralls and full face helmet and cautiously drove away into the dark. I will likely never see the bike again.

I had many great trips on the bike and have many memories of that bike but it was time to let it go to a new owner who was just as excited to get the bike as I was when I bought it 6 years ago. The new 2014 is road ready and I'm sure I will have just as many miles and memory on it as I did on my previous FJR. Such is the happy and sad feelings when selling a bike one has enjoyed so much.

Very well written!!
good.gif

I have thought of selling my beautiful ’12 for one reason only, that built in cruise control sure is nice. I have three seasons on mine, upgraded a couple things along the way, I have loved every single mile and it would hurt to see her with someone else. So rather than go through that pain I’ll save my money to add cruise control, besides Blue is paid for and that’s hard to beat.
smile.png

When they carry us through adversity and through happiness it is easy to bond with an inanimate object. Men have been naming their boats for exactly that reason for a very long time. Of course in the U.S. we give our boats a feminine name but that is another story...

I too felt great sadness when I left Ole Blue (2004 ST1300) at the dealership. I was thrilled to have the '15ES and knew that I was beginning a new chapter in my riding but I could not be entirely happy at the thought of leaving my old friend. I had ridden that bike to all the places I dreamed of when I was a child, I had covered roads with magical names, and I had covered 1018 miles in 18 and a half hours. That wonderful bike brought me happiness and I loved it. Then I abandoned it for a new, sexier, more exciting bike.

I still have the pictures and I still have the memories. Most importantly, with my 2015 FJR ES, I have a nicer and better bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my '05 goes, I'll have similar feelings. This bike is a part of me.

Logically, I think doing your own maintenance on the bike brings one closer to it and instills a higher level of trust in the machine. Much in the same way traveling to lands and adventures far away does.

Nice write-up. My first street bike was a 1200 bandit. I still have a digital photo in my pics called "bye bye bandit" showing it heading down the road in the back of a truck after I sold it. Still makes me sad I don't have it anymore.

Very well written and on point with the connections we as humans tend to develop with inanimate objects.....

The Marriage of Man and Machine !!!!

Tthe experiences and what becomes a camaraderie with that object, that becomes a relationship....

Intriguing that you posted this, as a fair amount of us die hard FJR enthusiasts have taken the next step to upgrade our still more then faithful steeds to the much improved Gen 3 iteration. Moving from the bought new 05 to the 2015 ES has been a mixed emotional situation for myself and my girl. We have had the 15 out for a few rides but something was amiss with the new machine - and it wasn't the machine - which Missy pointed out so distinctly yesterday afternoon, we had a long conversation regarding this very subject. She stated to me that when we are on Ol Blue that there is a connection with me and the bike and she could easily feel that we were one, there was no lack of confidence or hesitation in the manor I ride, pushing the limits, knowing the exact line that I can push it up to and tow that line with confidence that the Blue FJR would give me back every bit of feedback, balance, power, reaction and control I needed, without hesitation to pull me through.... as long as I do my part - she will do hers, in whatever I will ask.... Unflinching in her commitment to please her owner, never a hiccup - always waiting for another chance to go out on another adventure....

While the 15 was laid up waiting on the new paint for the wheels, we had some very unseasonably warm weather, with the 05 still with us, minus many of the farkles I had grown accustomed too, and did notice were missing on the rides we took.... felt the same confidence inspiring machine - led us out for some great time in the saddle to enjoy likely the last ride we would take on her..... Spectacular ! Made mention to a customer I got a new bike, and he basically handed me $1000 cash on the spot to hold Ol' Blue for him..... she was sold with no effort to a friend that I'm confident whom will care for her just as I did, though I doubt he will have the same feelings towards her as I. I didn't care about how much I was going to get for her, (he's getting a very fair price) more-so that she was going to a good home.

Getting the wheels back from paint with a set of new PR4's mounted, all put back together..... yesterday we went off in the bitter cold to get a feel for the 15..... something changed - the comfort and confidence level was rising fast and Missy could again sit on the back and feel things easing in for me on the new steed..... I think it is only now even after hundreds miles that the new relationship is starting to grow, and a new bond of greatness is forming......

I think in part with the 15 is that there are so many gadgets and gizmos on it, that I was so focused in figuring all that stuff out on the rare opportunities that I could ride it, it took away from the simple fact - just turn off your brain to all the little distractions this new machine brings and JUST RIDE !!

Enjoy your new machine SilverHound, thanks for sharing the sentiment....

Great stories, I have felt the pangs for each of my FJR that I have sold. (04,06,07) My son still has my 06 so I do get to see that one.

Sold my first bike, a '78 GS550E, to afford my '80 GS1000E.

The wife and I dated on that 1000.

Still have that big Suzuki and every street bike I've acquired since.

Of all the bikes I have owned (approximately 25) there is only one I miss, a 1975 Honda CB400F.

It was one of those bikes that was a good all rounder, commuting, day trips, etc. I would not have wanted to coast to coast with it but it would have done so willingly. It did everything well for a smaller bike. I would love to see one in my garage for the days that you want to go for a ride and reminisce of days gone by.

What he said ^. I have warm memories of the 16 bikes I've owned, but only truly miss my 92 FJ1200. I've seen a nice example for sale in NC, but didn't try to buy it. it's sorta like going back to an ex-girlfriend. It's not like it was before.

20+ years ago I sold my '56 Panhead, and had an empty feeling for a long time. All those years I was bikeless, until I got the '13 a couple of years ago. If, and when, that time comes to let her go, I'll probably cry.

I'm happy to say I have a 09 FJR. But I had to sell my 99 1200 Bandit to get it. I miss that Bike like no other.

Bill