Batteryplus experience + or -?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
time for a new battery. reviewed the forums and really got no where with a true winner. stock battery was incredible, but decided to make a change after 6 years for piece of mind. went with a gel type battery due to someones recommendation. after 3 years, it wont start the bike if the key is left on for 5 minutes. I'm looking at battery plus replacment, but know nothing about the type of battery they sell (other than the numbers their listing dont match the ones for my 2006). cold cranking amps are showing way more than others that are eligible replacements.

anyone had any bad experiences with these guys? does anyone know if the OEM battery for the bike is any better than any of the replacement ones offered? i've heard yuasa has taken a downward trend and tend to be pricey, but if i could buy a battery as good as the original, i'd be glad to pay the extra.

thanks

Greygoose

Check out motobatt.com

Very happy with mine and they appear to be available at an attractive price right now.

Find an Interstate battery dealer, they have a direct match for the OEM in the FJR, I got one for $118. The Batteries Plus was gonna be $208 and they didn't stock it. Very pleased with the Interstate sealed battery. Warning: it is very heavy, like the stock battery.

My OEM n the 07 only lasted 8 riding seasons the POS.
smile.png

I got a battery from BatteryPlus...It has lasted longer than my factory battery. I think I paid around $89.00

Last edited by a moderator:
I've purchased four batteries from Batteries +. All were their in house brand (X-treme I believe). I sold one bike about 6 months later so I do not have any real feedback. All had a two year warranty and two of the other three failed at 6-8 months. Batteries + was easy to work with in getting the batteries replaced. No hassles or questions and I was in and out in 30 minutes. In both failure cases we were on the road and had them replaced by a different store. All the stores are privately owned and there is no central registry of when batteries were sold. Therefore the stores must call each other to verify that the battery you are trying to exchange is under warranty. I cumbersome way of doing business, but it went off without a hitch. If you carry your receipt it will speed up the process. When you get the replacement battery it does not restart the warranty clock. So the battery I received when I exchanged the eight month old battery started off with a 16 month warranty. So their batteries seem to be not so great, their availability and service have been good. If I buy again from them I will try either a Yusa or Odyssey if i can find one to fit the FJR. All my previous batteries from them were in BMWs.

I've had better life out of Batteries Plus batteries than OEM. Keep in mind that they have more than one quality level. I figured out what I needed for my BMW (an optima somethingorother, IIRC), and when I went to get it, the counter guy tried to sell me a cheaper one with similar specs. The manager stopped him and brought me the right one, explaining to the counter guy that the one he offered wasn't the right part number for a motorcycle application.

I got a battery from BatteryPlus...It has lasted longer than my factory battery. I think I paid around $89.00

After my stock finally started to slow down (but never failed me) with years of winter storage and lots of sub-freezing starts, I thought why mess with success?
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/index.php
I don't see prices. I tried the link but they didn't have the specific one for the FJR.

?

Edit: Best price amazon $95.00 free shipping. 19 left.

I drop off my old batteries there all the time. Usually in the morning or evening after they're closed so they don't hit me with some kind of recycling fee.

Batteries...

Many moons ago my '05 started with the hot start trip meter and clock resets that signaled a weak bat'ry.

Ordered a WestCo from forum member Bike Effects with the great forum discount.

Fast forward a pant-load of years.

Transferred ownership of the B4 to my adult son last fall, who, due to circumstances, had to shove the bike into his landlord's unheated garage in VT with no ability to put a tender on it through one of the more memorably long and brutal New England winters in recent memory.

He texted me yesterday, and asked: "Datel volt meter says the battery is at 12.5 to 12.6V. You think it will start?"
I responded: "Hell yes!"

And of course the bike started like it was the middle of summer and he was able to ride it down from the landlord's garage to his own cabin in the woods with no problem

Sometimes you just have to love these damn bikes.

BatteryPlus batteries changed a few years ago to their house brand.

Not as impressed with the Extreme.

I'd go with the Yuasa from Amazon for $95

My battery went dead while I was 1000 miles from home due to a problem I caused by installing the wrong relay for a farkle. I was very happy to get one from Battery Plus on a Sunday morning. It worked fine for the rest of that year, but I did not know if I should trust it so I replaced it with a Westco in the spring. The Westco has been fine for the past four or five years.

My OEM Yuasa in my ST lasted 6 years, and I proactively changed it out with a Batteries Plus equivalent before a long, hot trip. I don't recall which 'quality' of battery, but it was branded Batteries plus. That battery failed in just two seasons, and was noticeably weaker over the months of use. Finally, it started the bike one minute, and a few minutes later it wouldn't start the bike or hold sufficient charge. I now have a Yuasa back in the ST...worth the difference in $$.