A Strange LEO Encounter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Riding home yesterday at dusk, stopped at a carpool parking area to change from dark glasses to clear for better vision. Parked in the lot was a CHP. I noticed that he was given me the stink eye as I rolled past. I rode approximately 50 feet past where the LEO was parked to get under the lit light pole. I'm riding a DL650 Suzuki, stock exhaust. When I rolled past the CHP, I was at maybe 12 mph. Nothing unusual.

I dismounted to open the top case, remove the darkies, put on the clear lense glasses. Looking up, I saw the LEO had rolled in front of me, blocking forward progress. Then, it got interesting..

"Where are you headed?"

"Home, Creston"

"Where have you been?"

"Santa Barbara, to see my dying Aunt"

"Which direction were you traveling, north or south?"

"South". "What, really?" "Why all the questions?"

I can feel the temper starting to boil. WTFO? Why the grilling? Deep breath.

"Officer, what's up, why all the questions?"

"We have a report of a silver and black motorcycle traveling at well over 120 mils per hour heading northbound on 101."

Me, laughing, "Well, it sure as hell ain't me. This is a 650, there is No way this bike can do 120 with my fat ass on it!"

Then I got to thinking... sure, right. Some guy is doing 120 on a silver and black motobike, and that's why he came over to grill me.. .

"Hey, officer, tell me the truth, did you really just want come over and shoot the shit about this unusual looking DL650 motobike?"

"Is that what this is really all about, because, if so, let's talk! I have time, what do you want to know?"

..and with that, we shot the shit for a good 10 minutes, he returned to patrolling the 101 corridor, and I rode home.

I still don't know if the 'reports of silver and black motorcycle at high speed' was factual or bullshit.

Guess I don't really care, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
And he went home and told his family about a strange Carver encounter.
smile.png

Getting a stink eye in carpool Park and Ride lots around here usually means something different. L.E. makes regular patrols as a deterrent.

You should have said why yes officer I was going 120 KPH..
Don't admit to that! 120 KPH is illegal anywhere in Cali.

I call bullshit on the reported offender. Just needed an excuse to "check you out".
Nuff said,
If it had been a female CHP, maybe.
laugh.png

I call bullshit on the reported offender. Just needed an excuse to check you out.
Disagree. Could easily have had one of those reports, we get them all the time, and the bike gets off an exit and then 'acts normal'. And the people calling in about the speeding motorcycle rarely ever give much more of a description of the motorcycle than just one color or the color of their helmet, if they had one on.

Why would the officer have to make up an excuse to 'check you out'? Nothing says I cannot walk up to you and shoot the shit. But was he fishing? Sure, you never know what you might find. Several notorious serial killers were caught on traffic stops.... Carver where you on the night of the 11th? Mmmmmmm?

That's what you get for riding something other than the FJR. Had you been on it, he would've been too intimidated to approach you. He would have admired it from a distance or called for backup,,, whichever reason turned out to be real one.

I think you gave him probable cause to do a cavity check... You know, "Bend over and spread your cheeks."

Wife and I were test driving a yellow GMC pick-up just after graduating from school. The only tags on the truck were dealer tags and we were pulled over, rather abruptly I might add. The officer checked out ID's after having us exit the vehicle and stand next to it, he called in our licenses, the registration, and after he verified that the car was on a trial test drive by the dealer, he told us we could go. He offered that he had just gotten an APB on a yellow truck with a man and a woman in it, that had been seen exiting a robbery site. He apologized for the inconvenience in pulling us over. Strangely, we bought the Pick-up that day, even though we were purty shaken up by the encounter.