Bird-Brained

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgross

Recusant Infidel
Reaction score
I'm either a late bloomer or behind the curve.

For 15+ years I've had lust in my heart for the Blackbird. Three years ago I saw one at a dealer and was REALLY tempted, but it wouldn't fit in my luggage (we were in Budapest at the time).

Two years ago I bought Beemerdons FJR - and I love it! The joke around here is that the Hondapotamus is my bride's bike - but she only sits on the back. The rest of the time, the FJR is the one that burns fuel. There's nothing about the FJR that I don't love except... It's not a Blackbird.

Fast forward to last weekend. A guy a couple miles away is selling an '02 XX and it's in beautiful condition, at a reasonable price. Only 28xxx on the clock, original owner.

So, am I nuts? The CFO has green lighted the deal, and I'm going to look at it today. There's room in the garage for it, so what could go wrong?

Anyone have input? Dale?

Edit: if this should have been placed in "other bike/related discussions", dock my pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy it. I lusted after one after riding my buddy's 12 years ago. I bought a new FJR a year later which I love (still!). But I think about that Blackbird alot. Its a sweet ride for sure. Lots of folks set them up for LD work, but its a great day tripper too. And silky smooth. If you don't like it, it won't be hard to sell.

I've rarely regretted the things I've bought.

I've often regretted the things I didn't.

Life is short. You can't take the money with you in the end. Buy it, enjoy it, sell it if it doesn't suit you.

I'm in the enabler camp. Buy it. Get it out of your system (or not).

I think a BlackBird is different enough of a bike to keep along with the FJR. Lighter and quicker, just perfect for those solo day rides. Same reason I still hang on to my old VFR800, though that is even smaller and slower than the 'bird.

As a former Blackbird owner I totally see the allure. It's a super smooth, super fast, fun bike to ride. Unlike the FJR though the Bird is very easy to get up into the triple digits without even realizing it. Don't get me wrong, the FJR is plenty fast but when you're going 100+ you know it. There were times on the Bird I just knocked it down a gear and rolled on the throttle to get around traffic just to look down and see 120 mph showing on the speedo. I would think "wow, how'd that happen?". Sold it because I simply didn't have the maturity and self discipline to ride it responsibly all the time. Still miss the "wheeeeeeee!" factor sometimes. Buy it! Just watch out for this guy on your shoulder>>>
devilsmiley.gif

Too fast for me. The Feejer is plenty good enough to get me in trouble. I still keep hearing an FZ09 calling me though. Not sure why.

Dave

Over 15 years of yearning for something, much less a bike, is long enough. Your CFO has allocated the funds, so the real question is............what's stopping you? :)

I had a Cerulean Silver one the year before fuel injection! For me at least incredibly fast but very smooth. Unfortunately I was about 50 at the time and not very grown up? I learned a very important lesson without killing myself and now ride "Pace" on the FJR! Actually I bought the model pictured here and really enjoyed putting it together, I gave it to my son and he has lost it's whereabouts! So I purchased another model and as yet I don't have the time/place to put it together. I still lust for an R1 or Busa! I will never really grow up.

IMG_0746_zpsriwefhjq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: