Rear-Ended at 70mph—I’m Done!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dogs

Reaction score
In July I was riding to work on I270 at 5 a.m. in light traffic. Saw brake lights start to come on about ¼ mile ahead so I rolled off the throttle and slowed to around 25 mph—didn’t even have to use the brakes. Some ways behind me a driver was either asleep or texting and didn’t slow at all (my FJR had a super-bright LED strobe brake light) He hit me at 70 mph—don’t remember anything after that. I was told that my 05 FJR, with me still aboard, went up over the car in front of me and 30 feet off to the side crashing into the guard rail.

I ended up in the hospital for a month—neck/back surgery—my neurosurgeon told me I was VERY LUCKY to be walking. Bike totaled, me almost totaled—lots of rehab etc. Guy that hit me had the minimum insurance for Pennsylvania (15/30) and I used that up in two weeks of intensive care at the hospital in Bethesda MD.

Don’t know if I’ll ride again (I’m 63, been riding for over 40 years). I take riding seriously—developed advanced riding classes for the military and taught Total Control classes for 15 years. I did everything right and none of my knowledge or skill made any difference—the only thing that did was my gear. New Shoei helmet, Vanson jacket with armor, Kevlar riding pants etc. (guard rail supports punched holes in pants—ended up with 100 stiches in my leg).

Not a great year for me—wife totaled my F150 truck (she’s ok) son recovering from cancer. When you see the picture of me in the hospital keep in mind that I had on a full-face helmet. I may decide to sell off motorcycle gear and some tools—can’t make up my mind yet—to depressing to contemplate quitting riding but I’m still writing articles for motorcycle magazines. I have the right-side saddle bag left from my bike. It has a gouge but can be repaired--free to good home--U pay shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't blame you at all and I'm glad your alive & walking. Traffic these days is scary as Hell especially around the Metro areas. No matter how many are injured or die people still think they can multi-task and drive safely. Someday all of us will have to make this decision as we age. Good luck to you and your family.

Wow, sorry to hear of you being the victim of someone else's stupidity.

Just wondering what good a bright LED brake light would be if you didn't use the brakes - maybe riding the brake would have caught the cager's attention? Maybe not if he was just texting while driving.

So sorry to hear this, always a scary thought now of this and with texting now in the mix, crazy scary. Glad you're here and walking, hope you sued the idiot.

I take it the OP hit his brakes to show the upcoming car his presence.

Wow, sorry to hear of you being the victim of someone else's stupidity.
Just wondering what good a bright LED brake light would be if you didn't use the brakes - maybe riding the brake would have caught the cager's attention? Maybe not if he was just texting while driving.
I did use the brakes after I slowed to 25. That light is so bright that there is no way it couldn't be seen.

Terrible! That sucks the fun right out. As far as strategies go there is one that might have made a difference...lane splitting. Never being at the back makes riding the freeway survivable.

I drove I 270 for 8 1/2 years in a Ford F350 and there is no way I'd make that commute on a bike. I've seen the traffic go from 70 mph to 10 mph in the space of a few hundred yards for no apparent reason. I've seen idiots doing everything imaginable - except paying attention - in bumper to bumper traffic. Really sorry to hear of your mishap and I'm glad you lived to tell of it but, from what I've seen on that road, I'm not surprised; that sort of thing is commonplace for the cagers (I had a few close calls myself, but no accidents). I'm just over the mountain from you, if there's anything I can do to help, PM me, I'm retired now (for the time being, anyway) so have a good bit of spare time. Tom

Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you're here to post about it. We take chances every time we get on our bikes...some things we just have no control over. I have a habit of always checking what's behind me...

I'm glad you are progressing with the rehab and still with us to tell your story.
smile.png

This situation is always on the back of my mind. It scares me to think that I've got a wife and (2) kids out on the road with their bikes, with idiots like this out there causing mayhem.
not_i.gif

I understand if you decide to hang up the gear...

Being rear ended is one of the top things I dread on a bike. One year I was riding in slowing, stop and go traffic on I-15. A truck cut me off and I gave a beep of the horn and a wtf wave of the hands. I backed off and the driver of the truck kept on not paying attention and rear ended the car in front of him, we were going about 30-40 MPH at that point. I jammed the brakes, looked in my mirror to see a Jeep Cherokee bearing down on me, popped the clutch and lurched into the emergency lane as the Jeep hit the truck. I was shaken up, but not stirred thankfully. Being the cream center of an oreo is no way to be. Heal well and I am glad that you are still sucking air.

Edit* I wonder why with the cost of medical these days that the minimum coverage is so minimum?

3dogs...you've been here forever. Sorry to read of your pain...but glad you were able to survive this event. You've got a lot to attend to with your wife and son.

We wish you well, understand your decision, and would welcome you back in a heartbeat if you ever change your mind.

Thanks for posting, and best wishes to you and yours...

Happy to read you are on the healing path and here to talk about it. Hope you can get back on two wheels again yet totally understandable if you don't. I'm sure I'd think twice or a lot more about jumping back in the saddle.

Thank you for sharing!! With the riding season not too far away here in the northeast (I hope) a good reminder for all of us to watch our mirrors.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family!!

Sorry to hear this kind of thing. Glad to see you're around to be able to post.

Not a big fan of lawyers but I'd be suing them to the point they'll never have anything in the rest of their miserable, non attention paying life.

I'll understand if you choose to quite riding yet I'll support you if you choose to get back on. Only you know your own circumstances. Beat of luck in whichever direction you may choose.

So sad to hear of such misfortune events but always glad that it didn't turn out worse. I personally stay away from highways as much as possible , I know it can happen anywhere and a controlled access road is "safer" but I have a phobia of old truck tire skins. Hope you and your love ones heal fast and well and my prayers go out to you all. I always say one Hail Mary as I leave out on a ride just for good measure ... never hurts.

Not a big fan of lawyers but I'd be suing them to the point they'll never have anything in the rest of their miserable, non attention paying life.

I'll understand if you choose to quite riding yet I'll support you if you choose to get back on. Only you know your own circumstances. Beat of luck in whichever direction you may choose.
I agree 100% with the quote above!

Really sorry to read that. I've enjoyed your comments on the board and have your motorcycle electrics book. I'll be 63 next month and have been riding since the mid-60s, too, so I'm beginning to wonder when I might be faced with a similar decision.

Two years ago mid-morning, I was stopped on I-80 westbound around Penryn in my '99 Subaru wagon due to a sudden traffic back-up. Traffic was generally light until this stoppage, but a newer Subaru wagon stopped behind me. Suddenly, the jam began to move, thinning quickly enough that I put my foot in it to accelerate away with the cars in front of me, opening a gap between me and the Subaru behind me. Just as I looked in the rear view mirror, some asshat who had apparently not seen the large backed up jam slammed into the back of that Subaru at speed. It seemed to lift off the ground at first, flying toward me from the impact, then fish tailing before spinning, parts flying off. I was maybe thirty yards out of reach as I accelerated away, seeing multiple cars becoming involved behind me. Holy shit! That was a really hard impact!

That scene and close escape still spooks me, because like you said, there was nothing you or the Subaru driver could do to avoid what an idiot caused. So, so sorry you weren't the lucky one to get away also. Heal up and do what works best for you and your family. I sure wouldn't blame you for hanging it up, but will always look forward to reading your contributions here if you stay.

I agree 100% with the quote above!
I agree with it too. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. They would declare bankruptcy, keep most of their stuff and the OP would unlikely even get back the legal fees.

There is a serious point about insurance though. Our state minimum is, i think, 25/50. I carry 100/300/100 by choice, on all our vehicles and I would prefer a CSL of $500k. Personally, I think insurance liability for 3rd Party injury and loss should, by law, be unlimited.

New bankruptcy laws have some bit in them so even if he did not get compensation the idiot would have 3 very tough years. That's about the same amount of time 3dogs is going to be in a world of hurt.

Statistics shows majority of motorcycle accidents are from behind or rear ended. I figure I'm lucky to split lane in California. Others might not have this choice. I've commuted to work daily for many years so I've seen it all, and got close calls once in a while too. I'm glad you made it thru and hopefully with full recovery to ride again.