calsci windsheilds

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papaseven

Reaction score
I put a Calsci windshield on my Fjr today and could not believe the difference.no buffeting, no more head shake and I didnt need a bungee to hold my glasses on . Well done Mark! what was a great bike is now a perfect bike. This is the best 200 bucks Ive ever spent. Wish I would have done this years ago!

Yep, I had two 07's and put CalSci on both. Best wind screen I ever had! On my 2014 I replaced the OEM with CalSci but do not seem to see a great improvement over OEM. Seems to be a little noisy. Anyone else tried the CalSci on GenIII?

I put a Calsci windshield on my Fjr today and could not believe the difference.no buffeting, no more head shake and I didnt need a bungee to hold my glasses on . Well done Mark! what was a great bike is now a perfect bike. This is the best 200 bucks Ive ever spent. Wish I would have done this years ago!
What windshield were you running before the swap?

I have a CalSci on my '06 and it's very good!

Was thinking of trying a reverse flip Cee Baily for interest sake.

CALSCI windscreen has been on my 2008 FJR since 2009. Love it and doubt if I will ever remove it. I tried the stock and OEM tall screens, no success. The Cee Bailey's was good, still have it (for sale if anyone wants it). But the CALSCI is the best for me.

Happy Easter,

Peter

What windshield were you running before the swap?

I have a CalSci on my '06 and it's very good!

Was thinking of trying a reverse flip Cee Baily for interest sake.
It had the stock sceen on it. I have never rode one with the Cee B screen but I would find it hard to believe it could do as well as the CalSci. Personally I don't care for the wickerbill on the CB. On any airfoil a wickerbill creates much more downforce but also a vortex effect that can range from a little noiser to downright dangerous under certain conditions. Ive seen a 1/2 inch tall wickerbill on a Pro Mod car make it undriveable over 150 mph. Cut a 1/4 inch off and it put 500 lbs more downforce on the car and it was like driving a cadillac.. Go figure?

I must admit I too think it's hard to beat the CalSci.

What pushed it from good to great was installing some spacers at the bottom of the mounting to rake it back a touch and let a bit more air in behind.

IMO the feature that sets CalSci ahead of the other after market screens is the cut out in the lower center of the screen. That neutralizes the vacuum created on other screens and helps eliminate the buffering.

I bought the mid sized Calisci for my 09. I love it. The OEM for me was not good. Even in summer I keep the larger Calisci on the bike. Good price too.

Bill

When I bought my 07, the PO had the stock screen on and included a Calsci to go with it. I installed the Calsci for winter riding and the Stagecoach in Dec. I have since put the stock screen back on. I like the Calsci better and will probably keep it on there permanently. There's more to hide behind if it is raining and +1 on the buffeting and so forth that goes with the stock screen at full up position. Some PO put stainless screws in there. I gotta get the nylon ones for safety.

Some PO put stainless screws in there. I gotta get the nylon ones for safety.
My CalSci came with stainless steel mounting screws. Maybe CalSci didn't trust the OEM nylon against the additional wind load?
I've purchased three CalSci screens over the years and none came with stainless mounting screws.

I've currently put a CalSci back on my bike since I also replaced the seat with a Corbin and the seating position slightly lower than before. Before I was using a Cee Bailey 22" (I believe that's the right measurement). The CalSci works pretty well for me until around 60-70mph, then there's quite a bit of wind noise/turbulence when fully raised. The Cee Bailey has noise/turbulence when fully raised as well, but it's just a little different. I'm probably more partial to the Cee Bailey at this point. I'll probably switch back in a week or so. Both seem better than the Yamaha Touring screen. YMMV, of course.

Has anyone ever enlarged the vent in the CalSci? If so, what are the effects?

As a tangent comment, when I crashed my '03 the Cal Sci shield 'popped off' and rolled over intact to land on it's own. The black plastic 'W' popped off intact also. I would ALWAYS USE PLASTIC SCREWS when attaching a shield. It saved me a few hundred bucks, but may also save your neck! YMMV

Have any of you tried installing the "windshield rake angle adjustment" that Calsci provides?
Looks like something I am going to want to do to run a big shield in the warmer months.
You can DIY the same thing with some spacers and longer screws.

Thatès what I did and it maks a big difference to the buffeting.

scroll down this thread...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/152050-comparison-of-cee-bailey-and-cal-sci-windscreens/?hl=+windshield%20+spacer

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, yeah... I was all over the same idea. Maybe even co-opting my machinist friend Dave of WynPro fame to fab up some sort of mega-wicked-kule 3rd gen windshield tilt-er-ator mechanism.

Stay tooned.

Last edited by a moderator: