Headlight Bulb Change Hack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I just had to change out a bad bulb, and went with the straight replacement option, using Sylvania Silver Stars. I bought a pair but only did the bad one for now.

It's been quite a while since I did a bulb change, so I basically had to learn it again, at least the part that's done by feel. Mine's a Gen I '05, but I THINK the process has stayed the same over subsequent years. If not, maybe some of this may still apply anyway.

This may not be a universal problem, of course. I'm sure many of you just slide your new bulbs in as easy as you change the bulb on your porch light, but me, not so much. If this helps anybody, I'm glad.

I was fine getting everything OFF, but ran into frustration getting the bulb held in place upon reassembly. Specifically, I was fumbling around badly getting the wire clips bent back, held, and then inserted into their proper home to hold the bulb firmly in place before making the electrical connection and replacing the rubber boot. You can see it, or you can do it, but never both at once.

After several (WAY too many) frustrated attempts to insert the wire holder into its proper slot, I got the idea to take the bulb back out of the hole, and see how the wire clips are supposed to go without the bulb in the way, which is a couple hundred times easier. After about two seconds, the clips were properly seated, and I could see exactly how they needed to be bent and held and all that stuff. Then I put the bulb in, grabbed the wire and slid it into place as if I knew what I was doing. Victory! Hate to think of how much time I wasted swearing before I thought to do that. I don't think I ever read about doing this before, so maybe it'll help somebody. If you do, just Paypal me five dollars. OK, don't really. ;)

Never ceases to amaze me how many of you klowns decide to work on shit sober!!! But I must admit it makes for humorous reading..
coolsmiley03.png

I miss Tims headlight adventure story, and the sidestand on the toe had me in tears for a week!
haha.gif
lol.gif

Gen I must be harder the Gen II. You replaced my Gen II headlight bulb in about 3 minutes. Thanks!
That was about one week after I'd just changed the one on my own bike, Dave. This might be the first time since then.

Mike, Mike, Mike... really?
I suppose you must be one a' them guys who change them out like the porch light, Don.
laugh.png

This is for the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTDT, Mike. I hate having to relearn shit like that, with all the attendant frustration. I believe I last did the same about a year ago, though I went ahead and replaced both.

It's not a complete loss, however; it keeps your cursing chops sharp. Besides, the unreplaced bulb should go out soon, while you are still expert at the task . . . unless your diminishing memory, skills and feel are abandoning you even faster than mine are at this age.

Thanks for the reminder!

There is about the same amount of room on the FJR as there is on the Hondapotamus, but not as far of a reach. And then there's the issue of man-hands...

Crap. I hate these threads. I'm still on my original bulbs and will have to replace one one of these days. I have big hands and no patience, so it's going to be one of those jobs where my beautiful wife waits until I'm good and mad and then comes out to tell me, in the tone that only makes me more mad, "The neighbors can hear you!"

It's nice to know that a nice calm guy like Mike is driven to cussing during this task. I'll keep this advice in mind. Maybe it'll make the job easier. If not, I'll wait until our neighbor is having another frigging garage sale. Maybe that'll drive away the lookie-loos.

I've gone into apoplectic fits and tantric cursing over bulb replacement. Specifically the wire "bail". There is a secret society of designers called the Pentaveret that gets together to devise hellishly difficult ways to obfuscate motorcycle bulb replacement. It's not specific to one model or manufacturer.

I just replaced my headlight bulbs this past weekend. I also forgot since my last change & had to relearn the process. Man, getting the electric plugs off of the old bulbs was a bitch! Once new bulb was in place I fumbled around with the wire until I found how it hooked. The 2nd bulb went much smoother than the first. I replaced both bulbs.

I just had to change out a bad bulb, and went with the straight replacement option, using Sylvania Silver Stars. I bought a pair but only did the bad one for now.
It's been quite a while since I did a bulb change, so I basically had to learn it again, at least the part that's done by feel. Mine's a Gen I '05, but I THINK the process has stayed the same over subsequent years. If not, maybe some of this may still apply anyway.

This may not be a universal problem, of course. I'm sure many of you just slide your new bulbs in as easy as you change the bulb on your porch light, but me, not so much. If this helps anybody, I'm glad.

I was fine getting everything OFF, but ran into frustration getting the bulb held in place upon reassembly. Specifically, I was fumbling around badly getting the wire clips bent back, held, and then inserted into their proper home to hold the bulb firmly in place before making the electrical connection and replacing the rubber boot. You can see it, or you can do it, but never both at once.

After several (WAY too many) frustrated attempts to insert the wire holder into its proper slot, I got the idea to take the bulb back out of the hole, and see how the wire clips are supposed to go without the bulb in the way, which is a couple hundred times easier. After about two seconds, the clips were properly seated, and I could see exactly how they needed to be bent and held and all that stuff. Then I put the bulb in, grabbed the wire and slid it into place as if I knew what I was doing. Victory! Hate to think of how much time I wasted swearing before I thought to do that. I don't think I ever read about doing this before, so maybe it'll help somebody. If you do, just Paypal me five dollars. OK, don't really.
wink.png
Thanks for taking time to post this, Mike. I'm sure it would be useful if, next time I have to change a bulb, I remembered that this existed, but because I haven't done it in a while, I have no idea what you're talking about--wires? boots? clips?--because I can't remember what it looks like inside the housing. But I'm sure you're right. Wait, what are we talking about again?

Another tip! Use silicon or dialectic lube on the inside leading edge of the boot. Slide on way easier.

Nice tip Mark - I put this job off all winter but you and Mike got me motivated. The silicone lube makes the boot install much easier!

I've gone into apoplectic fits and tantric cursing over bulb replacement. Specifically the wire "bail". There is a secret society of designers called the Pentaveret that gets together to devise hellishly difficult ways to obfuscate motorcycle bulb replacement. It's not specific to one model or manufacturer.
The bastards that designed my 2005 Cadillac STS thought it would be a good idea to require removing the whole front freaking fascia to replace the headlight bulbs. The dealer charges those poor (not really) schmucks $1200 to change them out. Not me...4 hours of quality garage time. At least the HID bulbs last a long time.