Just found my new favourite motorcycle...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnKing2

Reaction score

I have a 2014 FJR ES. Yesterday, I was out riding and started "playing" *much* higher in the RMP range than usual.

Yes - my new favourite motorcycle is a 2014 FJR ES in 3rd gear at 8K rpm! OMG IT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT BIKE UP THERE!

The acceleration was arm-stretchingly insane, the throttle twitchy/responsive, power was instantaneous, and, with the bike set in One Up mode and Hard +3, it felt planted and stable (I found it tends to be wobbly when set to Soft +3 and Two Up - to be expected).

I'm pretty sure I scared my GPS a couple of times. I've been testing an app called "Ajusto" that tracks your speed and "driving smoothness". Let's just say, it *wasn't* happy with me at all!

All in all, a ridiculous amount of fun was had. :)

Shawn, was this before or after you sniffed some of that mystery goop in English Bay?
jester.gif

Glad you enjoyed the ride! I know I get in the habit of running at lower RPMs than I probably should (laziness? dunno...) but the nice thing is the FJR is so forgiving you can do almost anything you want with it in almost any gear without too much trouble.

Shawn, was this before or after you sniffed some of that mystery goop in English Bay?
jester.gif
LOL Luckily, I'm out in Chilliwack now so no ill effects here. But our mystery goop out here is the "liquid manure" being spread. OMG what a foul odor!

Glad you enjoyed the ride! I know I get in the habit of running at lower RPMs than I probably should (laziness? dunno...) but the nice thing is the FJR is so forgiving you can do almost anything you want with it in almost any gear without too much trouble.
​Agreed. And make no mistake - if you screw up at that rev range and speed, you'll have a VERY bad day but....it was still fun. :)

I get that same reaction...don't underestimate 2nd gear too.
I was on the highway and didn't want to stress the bike out in 2nd gear. But I'll definitely be exploring 2nd's upper limits real soon. :)

try going WFO in first at 4500...[slide back in the saddle ]...[[ not responsible if you get flyswatted ]]

The Feejer has always been known to perform up in the higher rev. limits. I imagine the Gen3 is even better with the updated technology. For the record top speed in 2'nd gear is 92 MPH. At least on my bike. It shuts down once it hits the rev limiter.

Dave

It will also pull front wheel towards the sky in first and second, just remember to cover rear brake.
smile.png

I have a 2014 FJR ES. Yesterday, I was out riding and started "playing" *much* higher in the RMP range than usual.

Yes - my new favourite motorcycle is a 2014 FJR ES in 3rd gear at 8K rpm! OMG IT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT BIKE UP THERE!

The acceleration was arm-stretchingly insane, the throttle twitchy/responsive, power was instantaneous, and, with the bike set in One Up mode and Hard +3, it felt planted and stable (I found it tends to be wobbly when set to Soft +3 and Two Up - to be expected).

I'm pretty sure I scared my GPS a couple of times. I've been testing an app called "Ajusto" that tracks your speed and "driving smoothness". Let's just say, it *wasn't* happy with me at all!

All in all, a ridiculous amount of fun was had.
smile.png
On a closed course by a professional rider naturally...
rolleyes.gif

This is a funny post in all honesty..... Maybe since I've been riding the FJR for 10+ years

The FJR has been my favorite for a long long time - and with the new 2015 ES - MIND BLOWN !!

Welcome to the Party Pal !!!

Kind of like MLK, I had a dream. In the dream I discovered that a 2008 2nd generation AE will make it to about 100 MPH on the speedometer in 2nd gear, about 123 MPH in 3rd gear and full out in fifth about 150 on the speedometer. In real life I'd be going to jail if caught. Also 2nd or 3rd gear will take you from 30 MPH to 100 MPH like a jet airplane being catapulted off the deck of an aircraft carrier.

At one point in real life I was passing two cars on the wrong side of the double yellow line on Indiana 56 along the Ohio River. I droped from 5th to 3rd gear at about 60 MPH and opened the girl up. At the high point I was up around 120 MPH. What I didn't know was that the local LEO was right behind me when I took off. About 6-7 minutes later I saw the flashing lights and pulled over. There was a lot of explaining and $200.00 or so to the county State's Attorney to get court supervision for this.

Our FJRs can become ticket magnets.

Welcome to the Party Pal !!!
With 10K "warm up" kms in 5 months over the winter and summer coming up, me and the FJR are ready to party!

Our FJRs can become ticket magnets.
Yeah - I got my first Performance Award a month ago. I WASN'T EVEN GOING THAT FAST! :)

Shawn, didn't you have an FJR before?
I'm on my third. I had a 2008 and a 2012 before.

You've never railed one at 8k before?
(hangs head in shame) No... :(

It's stupid fun!! Glad you got to try that!!
And I'll keep trying it, too. :)

I like to explore the whole rev range. The FJR has multiple personalities.
Almost Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde. :)