Anyone have the Garmin Zumo 590LM Motorcycle GPS yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Squirrel

Reaction score
Did a google search for "590LM site:www.fjrforum.com" and did not get any hits. Just wondering if anyone has picked one up yet, and if so, thoughts on this unit.

Thanks.

I went from a Zumo 550 to the 590 and I really like it

It does not have xm but I stream from my phone or use mp3

There are tons of people that have them on this site as well as other sites....

Here is a huge thread you can read from the guys that have got them - alot of pages on the unit....

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966727

Might want to jump to page 20 or something like that when people are actually getting their hands on them...

Expensive unit but looks to be the best avail on the market at this point.

I've had mine for about 7000 miles. It is very fast switching on and drawing routes. No problems with Bluetooth. Large screen but does wash out in bright sunlight. It has 'Apps'. The touch screen can be difficult, sometimes when I try to click on something it will move but not click. It is a lot better than the 550 or 660's.

If you have an older Garmin NOT SUPPORTED anymore (IE, my old SPIII), (registered or have a receipt), Garmin will allow you 20% OFF torwards a 590. (no trades, etc, straight uo 20% off...)

The FJRforum Zumo 590 thread is here:https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/157233-new-garmin-zumo-590lm/page-1?hl=zumo

It's a fantastic GPS with capabilities that will take quite a while for you to fully explore. It also has some frustrating bugs with syncing at times because of all the options it has to deliver multimedia through bluetooth, USB, and direct from the iPhone. I got mine last year in June using Garmin's replacement warranty for an out-of-warranty Streetpilot. That got me 20% off with no strings or return required. The unit was also $100 cheaper when it came out. A price increase was implemented in December.

If you can get the replacement discount, it's pretty sweet. You need a 550 or other unsupported Garmin unit that is registered to you. In my case, only the Bluetooth malfunctioned, but it was enough. Called tech support, we worked through a couple solutions, nothing worked, and I got the discount.

OK guys, fixing to pull the plug and pick up a 590LM.

I've read and done my research. my main concern is seeing the screen in the sunlight AND any glitches.

Please, all folks, with the 590's already, are most of the glitches worked out and is the screen somewhat readable in full daylight?

All, especially the latest purchased, comments are welcomed.

Thanks ahead of time.. Scott

Anyone have a zumo 590 and a zumo 550 that can do a direct comparison (ideally with pictures) of the two screens side by side in varying light conditions? That would be very helpful.

I did one back when the zumo 66x models first came out (I just searched but couldn't locate the post). The zumo 550 screen brightness and information content spanked the 66x.

Anyone have a zumo 590 and a zumo 550 that can do a direct comparison (ideally with pictures) of the two screens side by side in varying light conditions? That would be very helpful.
I did one back when the zumo 66x models first came out (I just searched but couldn't locate the post). The zumo 550 screen brightness and information content spanked the 66x.

That would be GREAT!!! In the sunlight (as its pretty damn bright down here).

I just don't want to invest in something I can't see..

I still have my old SP III registered (sold awhile ago!) with Garmin and they said they would do $200 off the 590.

Last edited by a moderator:

That would be GREAT!!! In the sunlight (as its pretty damn bright down here).

I just don't want to invest in something I can't see..

I still have my old SP III registered (sold awhile ago!) with Garmin and they said they would do $200 off the 590.
From what I have read, if its registered to you, to get the discount - you have to send in your old unit..... ?!!?!!?!?

From the guy I talked to, no. I told him I sold it awhile ago and didn't have the serial #'s.

He looked it up and it was still in their records. Maybe he was wrong or I misunderstood. No one else mentioned sending theirs in (is that correct guys with 590's discounted?) ..

***Post #7, states NO trading in***...

I don't see Garmin wanted these old, unsupported units anyway...

You know their still making $ even discounted a bit..

I'll say that for some reason that was in my mind from reading - but no question I could be wrong..... and Hope I am....

I picked up a stupidly good condition 550 for $100, which I'm happy with right now... have the 2015 maps on it and GTG.

The previous owner even removed the GPS from their garmin account so I could register it for the future.

Should come in handy for a nice future discount if need be....

I am interested in the difference in the 550 to 590, and am in no hurry since the 550 is working just fine for now...

I'll say that for some reason that was in my mind from reading - but no question I could be wrong..... and Hope I am....
I picked up a stupidly good condition 550 for $100, which I'm happy with right now... have the 2015 maps on it and GTG.

The previous owner even removed the GPS from their garmin account so I could register it for the future.

Should come in handy for a nice future discount if need be....

I am interested in the difference in the 550 to 590, and am in no hurry since the 550 is working just fine for now...
I would have jumped on that 550 for $100 in a minute!. You can't go wrong...

No shit, couldn't believe my luck after researching for a long long time, FredW helped me finalize my decision on the 550. Headed off to craigslist and someone posted it up 26 mins before I looked. Snapped that thing up right quick !!

Warpdrv - If you haven't already, get a "MyGarmin" account set up (it's free) and register your zumo there now. You'll want that to get software updates (which there will probably never be any of), new maps (which you may never want either) but most importantly it will allow you to restore your map unlock codes should anything happen to the device and you need to reload the software. It will also allow you to cash in on the Garmin "trade-up" program someday.

OK guys, fixing to pull the plug and pick up a 590LM.
I've read and done my research. my main concern is seeing the screen in the sunlight AND any glitches.

Please, all folks, with the 590's already, are most of the glitches worked out and is the screen somewhat readable in full daylight?

All, especially the latest purchased, comments are welcomed.

Thanks ahead of time.. Scott
I've had the 590 for just over a year now. No problems for me with the sunlight. What I did find though is a bad reflection from my hi-viz jacket which makes it unreadable. Loosening the mount and turning the angle helps there. (I'm also finding the screen a bit blurry but I can't find a way to blame Garmin for that.
rolleyes.gif
)

One glitch which I found annoying was when connecting the unit to my PC and trying to work with it in Basecamp. BC wouldn't always see the unit, even when Explorer would. Usually disconnecting the USB once or twice would solve the problem but not always. (I think Ed even referred to this in his BC tutorial thread.) Then about a month or so ago I couldn't get it connected no how and walked away. Next day it connected but it was enough that I got on the phone with Garmin. After several transfers a tech had me switch out of one protocol(?)/setting into something else, telling me it would now act simply as a mass storage device instead of how Garmin had it set, making it cleaner and quicker. I tried to remember how he had me do it, I know it involved holding a corner like a hard-reset to get into a menu, but I can't figure out how to duplicate it for you. In any case, it's been working great ever since.

From the guy I talked to, no. I told him I sold it awhile ago and didn't have the serial #'s.
He looked it up and it was still in their records. Maybe he was wrong or I misunderstood. No one else mentioned sending theirs in (is that correct guys with 590's discounted?) ..

***Post #7, states NO trading in***...

I don't see Garmin wanted these old, unsupported units anyway...
During the same phone call as above, I asked about upgrading the maps in a very old Streetpilot I had laying in the closet. I was told they didn't support that unit anymore but they'd give me a trade-in discount on a new Nuvi. (59LM for 65 bucks.) I did have to send the Streetpilot in to them though and the Nuvi didn't ship until they received it.

Thank you for the update.

I would still like to see a 590 with a different unit outside in the sun if possible..