The 2015/2016 Big FJR Tire Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When it is time to replace the tires (pick 3)

• I have a shop change them

Votes: 228 49.1%
  • I change my own (or have a friend change them)

Votes: 178 38.4%
  • I change them in sets (front and rear at the same time)

Votes: 193 41.6%
  • I change them when they wear out (not in at the same time)

Votes: 199 42.9%
  • I always use the same brand and model front and rear (matched sets)

Votes: 258 55.6%
  • I sometimes use different model tires front and rear and select what I think is the best for each.

Votes: 77 16.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I started a poll thread on what folks were finding the best tire to use on their FJRs. That data was pretty interesting, but time has marched on in the sport touring motorcycle tire industry. Newer choices are now available and some old ones are NLA. The results in the old poll were skewed by dated data and does not accurately reflect today's preferences.

Rather than over-writing the old poll's data, I've requested that the admins close the prior thread (so as to minimize confusion and retain the old poll's results for historical value) and we'll just start up a new 2015 poll right here.

I've changed the choices since last time and made questions 1,2 and 4 multiple choice, so select the answers that apply to you.

So tell us, what's your favorite FJR tires now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see how the current run of Dunlops are working for people. Possibly Shinko as a lower cost alternative. What's the story on the Bridgestone BT023GTs? They are harder to find and may be discontinued although they have been favored by many in the past. Are you limited by the number of possible choices?

BT023GTs are NLA. The 023F&R's are only available on the bike from the factory, and they are nobody's favorite. That's why I dropped them from the poll.

You only get 10 choices in a poll so I went with what I expected were the top ones available. Dunlops, Shinkos, Kendas, etc are in the "other" category. If there is a common theme in "other" I could drop one of the others (Conti, Avon, etc.) and replace with that one, but I really don't think it will turn out that way.

Ross, at the risk of condemning this useful thread to an impromptu NERPT home, I wouldn't advise even someone I really dislike to use the BT023
bad.gif

@Fred, I don't know if the Poll can be extended to enable you to select your 1st and 2nd (or equally good) tire, but if yes, I think it will make the Poll results more meaningful. I realize that the "Performance Best Value" question partially addresses this, however, in my personal experience for example this short changes the Angel GT. The Angel GT are very close to the the PR2 and do handle a bit better in some conditions, but last a little less. Still if I could not find PR2s I'd have no hesitation or regrets in going with the Angel GTs, unlike most other comparable sport touring tire options, either/both due to the price and/or handling and longevity.

OK, I've made questions 1,2 and 4 multiple choice allowed (not question 3).

It will be interesting to see any difference as compared to prior polls with a single choice allowed.

PS - I did not mind the BT023GT front tire. It worked well with a PR2 rear. I'll be using the T30GT front the same way soon as I wear the OEM POS out. The rear 023GT was not so good, IMO.

It will be interesting to see any difference as compared to prior polls with a single choice allowed.

PS - I did not mind the BT023GT front tire. It worked well with a PR2 rear. I'll be using the T30GT front the same way soon as I wear the OEM POS out. The rear 023GT was not so good, IMO.
Thanks Fred, that makes sense.

Just my personal experience with the Angel ST vs. GT on the FJR and my riding style: in my earlier post I mentioned that Angel GT was a very close second (considering my answers). That does not at all apply to the Angel ST on the FJR! I would very much regret if I was forced by circumstances, etc. to buy an ST, they only lasted some 2,500 miles, and the front cupped terribly.

After my experiences with the BT023 twice (1st time to save money and the second because that's all a tire shop had and I was 2,000 miles from home) I will have not, nor will not try another BT tire as long as PR2 and/or Angel GT is an available option.

My point is maybe it's a bit misleading to bunch quite different tires (for an FJR application) like Angel ST vs. GT? I can't speak to the differences b/w BT023 vs. BT030 not having tried the BT030.

James, the BT023 is a different tire from the BT023GT. People have quite a range of experience with ANY tire which is why this poll is helpful. I, for instance, will never run another Angel GT because of problems with the front (wobble, cupping etc.). My experience may have been due to a quality control issue but I am not tempted to buy another one to find out - there are enough other choices out there.

I just mounted a T30 GT front and PR2 rear- maybe 200 miles so far so I can't really rate them yet. They feel nice right now, but new tires usually do. More later...

The Bridgestone T-30's were the most confidence inspiring tires I have used on the FJR, but 3500-4000 miles on a rear is just not going to cut it. I prefer the Michelins, but there is one thing about them I don't like. I ride in rain a lot (due to the fact that I ride a lot, so it is unavoidable), so good wet surface performance is important. The PR3 & 4 have the best wet surface feel of any tire I have used on any bike. The only thing I don't like about them is the noise the front makes when turning, because of the siping. No huge deal, but it is annoying.

Mostly copied from the old poll. (You guys are blow'in my mind!
fool.gif
)

Dun put T30s down as my favorite. Had ta think awhile 'bout value vs mileage vs performance though. I went w/ value. The T30s get slightly less mileage than PRIIs (For me anywayz.) butt at under $200 a set (W/ a coupon.) from American Motorcycle Tire, and better turn in, feel, wet weather manners, and grip than PRIIs, they seem like a better value ta me. If'n I could get a set of PRIIs for under $200, I'd prolly stick w/ them.

Tried PRIIIs and hated 'em! Turn in w3as way slow, 'n they needed constant pressure on the inside bar to hold a line. At the limit they had a real vague feel. And they were the most expensive tire I dun ever run! The only time I've crashed w/ radial tires were the PRIIIs
sad.png

These dayz I'm matching my tires, butt have mixed brands in the past. I get slightly better mileage outta my T30 fronts, butt usually about the time the rear is shagged, the front iz really pointy, and the handling is suffering, so I just swap 'em out 'bout the same time.

Ain't it interesting to see all the different mileage outta the same tires? Maybe some of you should get digital gauges?
laugh.gif

Just my personal experience with the Angel ST vs. GT on the FJR and my riding style: in my earlier post I mentioned that Angel GT was a very close second (considering my answers). That does not at all apply to the Angel ST on the FJR! I would very much regret if I was forced by circumstances, etc. to buy an ST, they only lasted some 2,500 miles, and the front cupped terribly.After my experiences with the BT023 twice (1st time to save money and the second because that's all a tire shop had and I was 2,000 miles from home) I will have not, nor will not try another BT tire as long as PR2 and/or Angel GT is an available option.

My point is maybe it's a bit misleading to bunch quite different tires (for an FJR application) like Angel ST vs. GT? I can't speak to the differences b/w BT023 vs. BT030 not having tried the BT030.
I actually agree with that last statement. Not only is the poll a bit misleading, but so are peoples posts that do not specify if it is the BT023 / BT023GT / BT023F&R, or in the case of the Pirellis the Angel / ST / GT. Unfortunately I am only allowed 10 answers per Question in the poll.

I guess I could eliminate the ones we know are sucky and let them fall into the "other" category too. That might make the most sense in terms of accuracy of reporting.

EDIT - I edited the answers to remove the Angel ST and make it clear that the T30's are different than any other Bridgestone. I do not believe the T30 is that much different than the T30GT to warrant a separate answer. I could be wrong there.

I am in the minority and actually like the oem 023's, so much so that I bought a barely used set from a guy here and also bought a set of 023GT's. I never had any issues with traction in wet or dry (though I am much slower in any curves or turns when wet). I have been able to get 7.5k miles out of the rears and 9k miles from the fronts of both sets of 023's, except when I went to AR. Including about 800 miles of riding there, I only got about 4.5k from the rear. Also, I did not notice any difference in the tread, traction, or mileage between the 023R/F vs the GT's. In fact, I would be willing to bet they are the same tire since the retail regular 023 front looks different than the 023F.

I currently have a newly mounted T30 on the rear and 023F on the front. After one moderate ride (no peg scraping) a couple of weeks ago, I feel no difference in the new tire. As I've indicated in the poll, I look for good performance at a good price. I want to spend the least I can on tires that will not limit my riding style.

The 023GT front in combination with the older 021 rear works very good for me.The next change probably will be the T30 EVO if i can't find the very good 023GT.

Interesting to note you refer to the OEM front as a POS. I have a 2014ES as well and the front tire still has more than half tread at 9500 miles. The tire is wearing very evenly as well. The OEM rear is now down to the wear bars so it will come off soon.

I would like to see how the current run of Dunlops are working for people. Possibly Shinko as a lower cost alternative. What's the story on the Bridgestone BT023GTs? They are harder to find and may be discontinued although they have been favored by many in the past. Are you limited by the number of possible choices?

I'm currently running the Dunlop Roadsmart2 on my bike. I really like them so far and haven't had any issues. I'm using the 190/55 in the rear running 41front 43rear and no issues yet. I put these on before EOM and they stuck well. Haven't had a pucker moment with them yet. If I don't like this set of BT T30 GTs I have in the garage, I'll go back to the RS2's. I was one of the few that never had any complaints about the original RoadSmarts. Never got an ugly front, and got decent mileage out of them. For me, that's like 7500 miles. Most I've gotten out of a tire on the FJR yet. We'll see how these RS2's do, mileage wise.

Like the new poll Fred.

It''ll be interesting to see how the results turn out after we get a representative sample size. I'm still trying to wear out my left over new set of 023GTs [which I really like] and trying T30GTs that are standing by. This summer should get rid of at least one set for sure!

--G

Status
Not open for further replies.