Low seat option for Gen 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisherdave

Reaction score
A day or so ago I took delivery of a Corbin heated seat for my 2014 FJR. When I was mounting it I was having a hard time getting it to fit because of the OEM standard 2 position seat adjuster. I finally resorted to the directions. The first thing it said was to remove the two position adjuster and mount the seat without it. That worked perfectly & the seat fits great.

Now, more to the point; without the adjuster this Corbin seat sits about an inch lower than the stock seat in the low position.

My intention is not to promote any one seat over another. We all have our unique preferences. Rather my intention is to point out that this particular seat may be a good option for those riders looking for a way to sit a little lower. My inseam is about 31 & I can now pretty much "flat foot it" at a stop.

I will do a more complete evaluation of the seat once I have sufficient miles on it to form a better opinion. However, my initial impression after about 100 miles or so, is that it's a fine seat.

Dave

Have a friend that just bought a Gen3. It is a bit on the tall side for him, so this strikes my interest. Anyway you could do a comparison photo between the two seats?

Thanks for the heads up.
smile.png
Looking forward to your further eval.

Hmm, I have been thinking about a custom seat and was looking at the Laam seats, but with a 29" inseam I am on the front balls of my feet in the low position as it is... Dropping the seat an inch would be a huge difference! Just not sure about the comfort of the corbin over a long haul...

I wonder if you could remove the adjuster for the stock seat and get the same effect? I may have to look at that tonight.

And I too am looking for a ride report on the comfort.

Thanks for the post Dave

Have the same problem. Was quoted $300 to have a stock seat nose job and some foam cut away to lower it.

If I may ask, "what does a new custom seat go for? 2013 FJR.

I just had a seat modified. That modification included cutting down the width of the front of the seat so that my legs can hang down better rather than sticking out. I paid about $300 for the job. To be fair, this also included installing a switch for the heating element and reshaping the rear to fit my Corbin Smuggler trunk. (See my post about "John, The Seat Guy")

The Corbin seat provides me with a lower seating position because the OEM dual height adjuster is removed when the Corbin seat is used. The Corbin seat allows me to just about "flat foot" it at a stop light. The other seat is built on the OEM seat pan, & even in the low position It's a taller seat than the Corbin. I did experiment with the removing the adjuster and installing the seat (the one built on the OEM seat pan). I don't think that was a good option. Although I could get the seat to latch, it was too wobbly. If the OEM seat pan could be modified to work without the adjusters it would sit about as low as the Corbin. I experimented with some shims, but they really didn't work out. I do believe that a good seat builder could attach longer "pegs" to the OEM seat pan so that it could be used w/out the adjuster

I think the Corbin seat is a pretty good seat, but for long days on the road it just may be a little too firm. That is, however, just one guy's opinion.

A perfect seat is sort of the Holy Grail of motorcycles. Feel free to PM me. I don't want to bore everyone with my speculations on the quest for the perfect seat. All I know is that over the years I have thrown more than a few dollars at this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put about 80k on a Corbin on my 07. I didn't have any problems with distance. Loved the seat and the lower position. I now have a heated Russel and will not look back. I do sit higher now, though, but that is a minor compromise for the comfort.

I used a Corbin for a while, put many miles on it. I felt it was great for reaching the ground and better than average for comfort but the lower position means more scrunching on the pegs. I'm already occasionally scraping pegs (not normal but I don't mind) so I don't want to install peg lowerers or highway pegs. I went back to my stock seat in the high position. I'm good for at least 400 miles with no comfort difficulty (I am certainly no IronButt type o' guy and I know it!), the distance-to-ground I can manage but the unscrunching is mucho gooder on my decrepit hips and (especially) knees.

I'd be willing to ship my never-to-be-used-by-me-again used Corbin seat (front only, no heat) to anyone who'd like to try it just for the cost of shipping. If you try it and like it it'll cost you $150. If you don't like it you pay to ship it back to me. Maybe someday it'll find a good home.

My seat has no holes, no tears. It has a wear spot at the top on the front, like where a belt buckle would rub a little when leaning forward. I color it over with a Sharpie once in a while. I'll send a pic or two if you want, PM your email.

EDIT: SEAT IS CLAIMED FOR TRIAL RUN. THANKS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Be wary about cutting down only the front of the seat. I've noticed my butt has a tendency to slide along the "downhill slope" from the back of the pilot saddle towards the gas tank. That puts a lot of stretch on .... tendons, skin, and whatnot ... which leads to some discomfort after five or six hours.

If you cut down only the front, you'll make it a steeper slope.