No More Crush Washers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPRIDER

Reaction score
Bought a Low mileage 2012 recently and decided it was time to get the engine and rear end oil changed. When I drained the engine oil I noticed that it had an aluminum washer instead of a crush washer. It was the same for the two bolts on the rear end. Drain bolt had the same washer and so did the filler bolt. Did Yamaha switch to these sometime between 2008 when I bought my last FJR and the 2012 model? Just curious if this is OEM.

GP

I prefer copper, although in sealing terms the aluminum ones are fine. The copper variety are simply easier to anneal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I know why they didn't use crush washers.......stopped into the local Yamaha dealer to buy 2 for changing the final drive oil. Thought, what the heck, might as well buy a couple extras while I'm here. Cashier rung them up - $20 for four!

Think I know why they didn't use crush washers.......stopped into the local Yamaha dealer to buy 2 for changing the final drive oil. Thought, what the heck, might as well buy a couple extras while I'm here. Cashier rung them up - $20 for four!
I just use an appropriate sized oil drain plug washer from an auto parts shop. The official yamaparts are way pricey.

Well this thing just had 4,500 miles on it when I bought it. Probably hadn't had but one oil change. The oil I drained was pretty dark. The rear end oil was extremely black with very fine silver in it. Don't know how long it had been since the change. The guy I bought it from hadn't done anything to it except put sliders on it. He was the second owner and hadn't had it long before the wife made him sell it. I think maybe mine was the second service. Rear end might not have been serviced at all. Oh well, it's all good now. I think I'll run with the Aluminum washers for a while. They haven't been leaking. Thanks for all the comments.

GP

FJR crush washers are stupid expensive now. Once my stash of crush washers is exhausted, I'll switch to the aluminum washers my Tenere uses or something similar. Never any drips on it...or the FJR for that matter!

--G

Well this puppy is out of warranty.
sleep.png
The previous owners never bought the yes within the first year. But thanks for the dry humor anyway odot.
smile.png

GP

It would be my guess you still had the original oil in the engine and rear end. Still low mileage and now its changed. Water over the dam at this point.

Dave

I prefer copper, although in sealing terms the aluminum ones are fine. The copper variety are simply easier to anneal.
I had to google "anneal".

I learn something from this board everyday.
I learned how to do it in High School, when we planished (google) copper.

Copper washers are expensive, and the drain plug type are the most expensive of all because they are bigger than, say, brake banjo washers.

Just heat the washer slowly with a propane torch. Get it nice and glowing, then quench it in a cup of cold water. Don't use your fingers for that last bit.

The washer will come out looking very "pink", rather than the dull brown thing you heated, and it will be very soft, perfect for sealing. There is no practical limit to the number of times you can do this.

I use Washer sealing (3963988cum)! I buy from Inland Kenworth here in Canada. About 3.50 ea. They are self sealing and I have been re using for the last 6 years without any problems. Sorry I wasn't able to post an image?

I understand that for the 2016 models Yamaha is eliminating a washer of any sort and calling for the non thread plug to be welded in place. This will entail all changes being made at a Yamaha Service Center at a cost of about $600... plus Yamaha fluids.