Suspension Recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkHogNeato

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious as to what the general consensus is on suspension upgrades. I have a 2006 that's getting squishy, and I'd like it to handle like my brother's 2013.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Kevin

I'm looking at parts and am baffled by what I've found. The rear shock for an AE is different than that of the A, and significantly more expensive. Anyone know what the difference is? Can I put the shock meant for an A back there?

I priced an OEM shock when I put new suspenders on my '05 last summer. It ran over $700.00. Instead, for about $300.00 more, I got an Ohlins that will be more readily rebuilt when the old gal turns over her next 60K. I matched it with a race tech fork rebuild.

I'm pretty happy with the upgrade. I won't say it makes the FJR handle like a sport bike, but I can really tell the difference when riding at a brisk pace or riding two-up. WBill

I'm looking at Yamaha Parts House, and the exploded view of the rear shock assembly for a 2015 FJR1300A and a 2006 FJR1300AE look identical, but the AE part is $200 more.

Anyone know why?

I'm following this thread with interest. 2008 AE. Original suspension. Would like to upgrade as there will apparently be no new bikes (AE) available.

The best upgrades out there are Ohlins and either Racetek or GP suspension for the fork rebuild. This will generally run $2,200.00 to $2,500.00 but is just plain out the best.

Anyone know why?
Prices tend to go up on older parts. I notice the 2005 stuff is way more than it used to be.

Kind of pointless regardless though since most suspension recommendations aren't going to have much to do with stock stuff of any year anyway. Unless you're going to cheap out and pickup a used shock (any year will work by the way), Ohlin or Penske for rear that's rebuildable is the gateway piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
After I had my 07 for 5 years and about 45 thousand miles I invested $2,500.00 for Race Tech springs, valves, and spacers up front, Ohlins in the rear, and a front fork stabilizer.

I'm 6'2 and 230 lbs. the upgrade was a total surprise, the absolute best. I guess that I just got used to the squishy suspension. The nose dive under hard braking, going into a corner is gone. The constant foot peg dragging is gone. The rear end squat when accelerating out of a corner is gone.

I was a little leery about putting $2,500.00 into a 5 year old bike, but it was a lot less then buying a new bike. I would recommend this upgrade to anyone.

I'm looking at parts and am baffled by what I've found. The rear shock for an AE is different than that of the A, and significantly more expensive. Anyone know what the difference is? Can I put the shock meant for an A back there?
Yes, you can put the shock from an A on an AE. I'm not sure what you are looking at. In the same year, the part numbers for an A model and an AE model are the same. Example: 2008 is p/n 3P6-22210-10-00. And it would cost about $900.

What I suggested that you do is order the shock for a 3rd Gen A model. (the ES has the electronic suspension)

The part number for that is 1MC-22210-10-00, It can be bought for as little as $422 with a little looking around

Get a new rear shock and re-spring both the front and rear with the Hyperpro kit. Made a huge improvement to my 03 and was very lite on my wallet.

Ohlins shock and GP 25mm cartridge and springs up front for me. Best $$$ I ever spent... on my bike, that is. Same here two thumbs up1

If the goal is to reproduce the 3rd gen suspension, that can be done for about $500 with a 3rd Gen shock and a set of springs.

Yes, you can get better than that with after-market if you have a lot more money to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can put the shock from an A on an AE. I'm not sure what you are looking at. In the same year, the part numbers for an A model and an AE model are the same. Example: 2008 is p/n 3P6-22210-10-00. And it would cost about $900.

What I suggested that you do is order the shock for a 3rd Gen A model. (the ES has the electronic suspension)

The part number for that is 1MC-22210-10-00, It can be bought for as little as $422 with a little looking around
Yeah, dunno what yer look'in at, but any 2nd or 3rd generation shock/spring will work on yer bike.

I got a Wilbers for my A, and after I wadded the thing, got an AE, and it fit just fine. With that, 'n Race Tech fork springs, and Bridgestone T30s, this thang handles like a champ!
wink.png

I bought a Penske double adjustable 8975 for $612 from KFG Racing (GP suspension). If you can wait 6 months (I know, that's a really long time) they do a black friday sale which is 25% off all parts AND labor. I did a valve kit up front, Penske in the rear, with installation I paid $1450. Would have been $2K. I was only going to do new springs up front but with the sale I was able to do a valve kit and still save 300 bucks!