Recommendations for a pillion dry-bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaharley

Reaction score
I am leaving May 1st for a 48 state, 22 day charity ride and I'm looking at options for a drybag to sit on the pillion. I have an E55 top case on the way, but I need some additional room for charity related gear that I would not normally have to worry about on an MC trip. I would also use this bag to keep some weight out of the top case to lower the center of gravity.

• Easy on and off is a plus, but no damage/scratches to paint is a must. (I do have some extra 3M clear bra material, so I can protect any paintwork as needed.)
  • I do have a set of small and large ROK straps for mounting, as a potential option.
  • I do have some compression-type bags from backpacking that I can use in concert if the bag is not 100% waterproof.
  • Worst case scenario, waterproofing by internal trashbag is always a low-buck option.
Any suggestions of what has worked for you all are GREATLY APPRECIATED. I don't have much time to get something picked and ordered.

<shameless plug> Check out the ride website at www.rideformiracles.com and if you are feeling generous click Donate! </shameless plug>

2013-07-27%2B08.11.14.jpg

This is how I traveled on a 16 day trip back in '12. The yellow bag was not waterproofed, inside were a couple of smaller waterproof bags, tent, camp chair, stove, etc... Inside the dry bag was sleeping bag, extra camera gear and a few other valuables. I'd have to go home to find the brand (there seems to be 100's of similar products on Amazaon), but both of them are attached with ROK straps, with blue painters tape (which you can barely see) covering the grab rails to protect the paint. Had zero problems with losing things, paint damage or things in the dry bag getting wet.

Unfortunately I did get stuck in a sand trap but the packing plan worked out fine..

good luck with the trip and the fund raising!

I have a Nelson Rigg dry bag with a roll top. It came with its own tie down straps and works very well. The only issue I have is no carry handles. If I had it to do over again I might go with the WolfMan because of the handles. Other than the handle issue it has worked perfectly on my (old) ST1300, the straps are great and do not rub anywhere. I loaned it to a friend who strapped it to a '94 HD Wide Glide and then rode over a hundred miles in the rain. Even on that open bike it did not leak a drop. It has never leaked yet and I have ridden with it for many miles in the rain.

This is it on my old ST at Monarch Pass Colorado:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the D66 by Dryspec. My hammock, fly and other things I need right away (lantern) go in the D28 which can go on top and opens at both ends. Easy to pull something out without unstrapping the bag.

Everything else goes in the larger D38 which has a nice white plastic liner inside that keeps the shape even when empty. Makes it easy to attach things to the outside like hiking poles and keeps the bag from sagging over the sides of the bike. They have a nice system to connect them to each other and the bike. It isn't cheap but it's pretty impressive gear.

I'm cheap. Buy a regular bag and use a heavy duty contractor trash bag INSIDE your cheap bag. Everything is dry and you have much more gas money.
This ^^^^works, but...

When the trunk isn't enough, I use a Ortlieb dry bag for extra space.

--G

KwikTec DryPak Duffle

Large is 24-Inch x 12-Inch x 12-Inch closed; capacity 4270-Cubic Inch; 70-Liter for $34 in green or $44 in other colors.

XL is 30-Inch x 14-Inch x 15-Inch closed; capacity 6712-Cubic Inch; 110-Liter for $50 in Black or clear.

I have the XL. It is every bit as good as the far more expensive dry bags.

I use a Wolfman dry bag. Works great. Three sizes. I have the medium size bag, which has been plenty big on the FJR.

P1120510_1_2_fused%20Large.jpg

I am very happy with the Firstgear 40L Torrent bag:

https://www.atomic-moto.com/Firstgear-Torrent-40L-Duffel-Bag_p_1331.html

The 23" length fits the FJR pillion very well and doesn't interfere with the sidecase latches ( it is close, but clears ). I have taken it on two long trips now and it works fine and is completely waterproof. The adjustable ROK straps work well with it.

+1 on Fred's recco. That's the one I use too and it meets all the requirements. It's totally waterproof, It's cheap, It's strong, and it's cheap. ALWAYS tie down with Rok Straps, btw, whatever you're tying down. Bungees are dangerous. Oh yeah, and this bag is cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Wolfman large dry duffle for an around the country 35 day trip last summer. The bag was "bullet proof". With the roll top you can roll it smaller or large if the need arises. The straps it came with will hook to your rack for your GIVI trunk bag. The bag is absolutely waterproof. I think it was one of the best investments I made for the trip!

I attached it in the exact manner you are considering.

Thank you all for your input. I was leaning towards the Black Wolfman duffle, but when I went to order it along with some gloves from RevZilla, it was out of stock.

I took that as divine intervention from the Farkling Gods and went with the KwikTec DryPak Duffle. After all, I hear that it's cheap, effective, and cheap... and Lord knows I've spent plenty of money in the last two weeks. (New[er] bike plus farkles-a-plenty.) Although with the money I saved on the duffle, I may swing for a PDM60 instead of a Fuzeblock.

Thanks again,

Mike

I like SealLine dry bags and ROK straps.

I use a combination of 1-3 SealLine bags depending on type trip. I have a couple of 20 liters and a 30 liters. You just push all the air out

roll them up on the end and clip. I have never had any water get in one.

551110-L.jpg

20140925_110320-L.jpg

Several suggestions here, but not one looks large enough to fit a typical pillion inside; how bigga girl is your pillion rider anyway?