My son and I build and learn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bustanut joker

Reaction score
So we decided we needed 2 AR's on the cheap..... Oh hell no you know my luck.

Bought the lowers 60% complete so they needed some milling etc.. Well hell's bell's we can buy a series for bolt on plates that allow us to mill, without a MILL!!!
Just a trusty drillpress and time and you can save 45 50 bucks!! Oh snap we are all about that!!

Here he is starting out and knowing this is a great way to save $$$$

ar%20build%20004_zpsguh19uw3.jpg

Ok we're still sober and thinking we are onto something..

ar%20build%20007_zpsmwdoqemh.jpg

Loots of chips..

ar%20build%20009_zpsnss5yflj.jpg

Ok we've drilled 17004508 holes Now it's time to mill using a drill press.. This is fuking why they make mills.

ar%20build%20016_zps0pzp09kg.jpg

Now I take partial blame for this as my brain shut down and I thought a double fluted 1/2 at 13 hundred rpm would save time..
I'm a moron I know... Ended up buying a quad flute and cutting rpm in half and tripled the work in half the time..

ar%20build%20018_zpseidfcavn.jpg

Somebody is less than impressed with his old man's machining skills.. But he's wearing the first bib I ever owned still with me from way back in 1975.

I cried for an hour when he put it on.. then I went out back and jerked off in memory of the gal I managed to get into it wearing just panties...

ar%20build%20015_zpswijkzxlg.jpg

Fuk I went off topic.

Anyway here we are getting close..

ar%20build%20020_zpsmgqrjg0l.jpg

And it's done...

ar%20build%20023_zpsn28lr3sn.jpg

The next one will be a shit load easier due to learning from mistakes and knowing the raw product has a few design flaws that add time but knowing this it will be minimal...

The best part of the build was spending a full day working with my son who I hadn't seen but 6 times in 5 years.. I don't know if I 've ever enjoyed a project more, and can't wait to start mine.

5.56 bah Dad's going 300 Blackout!

I can't believe some girl put on your apron while you were wearing panties. Probably wanted the extra layer to be sure you couldn't hump her.

My mom sold the entire contents of my dad's shop a couple years ago. Tools, gauges, QA equipment, the three lathes and three mills. Bridgeport with digital displays and automatic drives. Fucking beautiful three phase machines that made me wish I could have kept one.

Walking into that big empty building brings a tear to my eye every time. Enjoy your time with Ryan, and don't shoot your eye out! :pirate:

I have a line on a mill and decent sized lathe Ray..

An old boy at cardio rehab finds and reconditions old machinery, so just maybe I can actually produce shit that looks like I knew what I was doing.

Sure the new CNC stuff would be nice but me, like you learned on the old stuff.. It's going to be fun when some tech savvy little shit stops by and can't run it.+

Very nice. That lower receiver looks way too fancy. Is that engraving or part of the casting?

That's way coolio. Seeing pix of the shop makes me wanna get back east again, walk over the local liquor store, get me a 1/5 o' Whiskey and party down like it's 1991 again!

Wow - thats a blingy freakin AR lower...... Aside from that - nothing like some quality father son time with guns.... Love it

I just finished my last AR build (NFA) - though I'm not the flavor of guy to fart around with an 60 / 80% - it looks fun....

Picked up a few AXTS full ambi Lowers before the owner of the co went stupid and said, "I will only sell as complete rifles from now on", way to shoot yourself in the foot. They are spendy but honestly some of the best lowers I've ever seen.... and I'm stupid like that...

Tossed a LWRC 10.5" IC upper, blinged it out and added some other parts, and she's good to go

Bling

Those are tool marks from milling Greg. Though I know they are a result of CNC machining I still think they are awesome as well.

So we decided we needed 2 AR's on the cheap..... Oh hell no you know my luck.

[img=[URL="https://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu282/Barry50_2009/ar%20build%20023_zpsn28lr3sn.jpg%5D"]https://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu282/Barry50_2009/ar%20build%20023_zpsn28lr3sn.jpg][/URL]

The next one will be a shit load easier due to . . . mistakes and . . .

5.56 bah Dad's going 300 Blackout!
Beautiful rifle, Barry. But yeah, we know your luck. SO, . . .

If I'm not mistaken, at least with some bullet profiles, a 300 BLK cartridge can be chambered in a rifle chambered for 5.56 NATO / .223 Rem. No question that the two calibers use the very same magazines. With your luck, it could happen that one of you might insert a mag with .300 rounds into the .223 rifle, which would be mucho baaaaaad if it slam fires upon chambering or you pull the trigger.*

Therefore, if you two are going to shoot together or your loaded mags might consort with one another and get mixed up, I'd suggest anodizing the lowers on your rifle in hot pink or blue or green to clearly distinguish the two different caliber rifles AND the mags used for .300BLK rounds should be similarly color coded and marked in accordance, however you paint, ink or colorize them. Needless to say, being drunk when loading the differently marked magazines with their respective cartridges is probably NOT a good idea.

* Once upon a time, I considered owning a couple AR15s in two calibers. I've left it at just the one in 5.56/.223 for this reason. EDIT to add: found it again - see https://bearingarms.com/300-blackout-in-a-223-wylde-ar-15-kaboom/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah rich we knew that.. That's why as you suggested one is going to anodized and painted, the 300.. Also ammo can and any related stuff will be painted to match.

We don't plan on reloading the ammo at the same time and yes even though 97.2% here think I'll be drinking while operating?? Let me assure you this isn't gonna happen..

I tried that while shooting my bow many moons ago and it ended badly albeit humorously for those watching while i let go of the bow instead of the string.

I can still see that riser coming at mt nose at 1500 MPH... End up 2 black eyes bloody nose and looking about as smart as Zilla.

Yeah like that's possible!

I cant believe that anyone with any kind of mind would let you get your hands on live ammunitions.

You know what happened on your last escapade with Magnesiuiom.

Do I need to come down there and slap some sense into your silly assed Brain, or can I contract that out to a lubber eating |Seal killing Oranginatmoe