Pulling Bunkhouse Camper

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A roughly 340lb (empty) pop-up tent camper that is frequently pulled behind Goldwings and some of the HD touring bikes. I personally wouldn't pull one behind an FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
A roughly 340lb (empty) pop-up tent camper that is frequently pulled behind Goldwings and some of the HD touring bikes. I personally wouldn't pull one behind an FJR.
Why not??

I swear I remember someone on here pulling one a few years ago. It seemed cool, and I don't remember them having any issues doing it. Probably way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Haha...Of course, you do have to prep your bike to pull the camper and account for that when riding, but once you drop it off and set it up, the twisties are all yours. Not really any different than some of the other trailers some of our other members pull.

Now that I think about it...That's probably an even better reason to go darkside. That car tire would be awesome with a trailer behind the bike. Then you could die in a flaming ball of aluminum, plastic and awning material!!

Why not??

I swear I remember someone on here pulling one a few years ago. It seemed cool, and I don't remember them having any issues doing it. Probably way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Haha...Of course, you do have to prep your bike to pull the camper and account for that when riding, but once you drop it off and set it up, the twisties are all yours. Not really any different than some of the other trailers some of our other members pull.
There was a couple that lived in the Ohio area (can't reme=mber their name) but they pulled one all loaded out including the optional AC unit. stopped here in the Seattle arear to service and change tires. He pulled it two up just fine.

I pull a Bushtec fully loaded, two up with camping gear all the time it weighs about 450 lbs loaded out. I don't have to adjust my riding as much as you would have to with the bunkhouse, but I do have to account for the extra wieght. The FJR has plenty of power to tow it.

I pulled a well loaded Bushtec for a couple years before I got a wing. Just make sure you load it right so you have enough weight on the hitch. The FJR gets really strange without it. Just took the hitch off yesterday.

I pulled a Leesure Lite XL tent trailer behind my Gen 1 for many thousands of miles, although admittedly it was a bit lighter than the Bushtec. The FJR had no trouble pulling it. Outside of parking lot maneuvers, increased stopping distance, and reduced gas mileage, it was too easy to forget it was even back there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm personally a little leery about pulling 500+ pounds behind this short of a bike, and then to top it off with a MC tire that was never really targeted towards it. Again, just personal preference.

You have to set your bike up properly to tow. My suspension is done properly to handle the extra weight, I ride accordingly and give myself larger margins for error.

To each their own. It is an amazing way to travel and camp to see the country.

I tow a homebuilt trailer that probably runs 450 to 500 fully loaded with my 05 and have done it with a car tire no problem. Took it to Reno for the Western Roundup last year through many of central and southern Idaho's finest riding roads. It is comfortable for short spurts to triple digits, more so than my wife was. :(

I tow a homebuilt trailer that probably runs 450 to 500 fully loaded with my 05 and have done it with a car tire no problem. Took it to Reno for the Western Roundup last year through many of central and southern Idaho's finest riding roads. It is comfortable for short spurts to triple digits, more so than my wife was.
sad.png
With a CT, I"d be more apt to do it... It was just a habit I had from the GW era. The motorcycle tires on those toys are already near max with nothing but air on the seat, and if you put 2 healthy people on it then odds are you are over the max tire rating. I also prefer a true frame mount hitch, and I haven't really found one yet for the FJR that is comparable to the Bushtec on the GW.