If you wish that Basecamp handled individual files like Mapsource did ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedTitan

Reaction score
Basecamp is great. When I first installed it, I had a large library of .gdb files from trips I wanted to preserve and eventually, re-ride. I was NOT HAPPY that Garmin chose to eliminate the standard "FILE|OPEN|SAVE|SAVE AS" interface in favor of a single database using 'Collections'. I found it to be unnecessarily crowded, clumsy, and was a bit concerned that ALL my riding history and plans were in one file. I admit to a bit of paranoia but files do get corrupted and I don't like have all my eggs in one basket.

A couple of years ago, I wrote a simple Basecamp launcher that allowed me to manage all my individual trip files in the same Windows standard way that Mapsource used. I now have a standard installer built for it and a simple set of notes regarding it's features and use. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you a link to download. I call the program BaseMaps. If you like it and continue to use it, then pay it forward and make a contribution to this site.

I am the COO of a 30 year old software company and know what I'm doing. This is a very simple and non-intrusive program. Basecamp works just fine with it. Downloads, upgrades, exports ... everything you do in Basecamp ... is unaffected.

BaseCamp file system sux. But I'm getting used to it. I just export my completed routes to my "Maps" file in My Documents on my computer then delete them from My Collection. If I want to view, edit, etc. I just import it again. This way I'm working with one file at a time.

The part I hate the most about BaseCamp is:

say I have a route map in a List folder. How can I modify the route without changing the original file? MapSource allowed me to do that, BaseCamp feels I have to have one route instead of one basic route and other similar ones with minor modifications. Even if I copy the route from its original location to a 'temp' list in a temp list folder, when I make a route edit BaseCamp automatically changes the route in the original location. This to me is the biggest POS file management defect ever created.

Just right click on the original file and click "duplicate". Edit that one and the original should not change.

Thanks for doing this. I prefer the individual files to the Basecamp database approach. I have sent a PM requesting the link.

Thanks for doing this. I prefer the individual files to the Basecamp database approach. I have sent a PM requesting the link.
It's been a week since I sent a PM, haven't heard a thing in return
not_i.gif

Coming from the more modern proggies with clean GUI's (like Googlemaps where you can just drag out a line and make a map in seconds), BC is a lot more versatile (well, so they think anyways).

Give them another year or so, I'll bet they get up to speed. Until then, we all do with what we have, learning BC is not all that bad. ~ :) ~

I'm finding that with a little practice BC is very similar to MapSource which I liked and was familiar with. It's just that the BC file system sux wind and the OP says he has a solution. I'd try it if he'd ever respond again....

Coming from the more modern proggies with clean GUI's (like Googlemaps where you can just drag out a line and make a map in seconds), BC is a lot more versatile (well, so they think anyways).
Give them another year or so, I'll bet they get up to speed. Until then, we all do with what we have, ...
Yeah, maps an' turnsheets ain't so bad!

Give them another year or so, I'll bet they get up to speed. Until then, we all do with what we have, ...
Yeah, maps an' turnsheets ain't so bad!
This has to be your new avatar line
grin.gif

As far as working with 1 file at a time why not just use the import and export feature instead of the open and save? Create 1 route and export it to a folder. Then delete it in BC when done. Then you can just import it again the next time you want to use it. Seems to me that would eliminate the whole file structure within BC. But that also cripples a lot of the sharing of data that BC allows.

As far as working with 1 file at a time why not just use the import and export feature instead of the open and save? Create 1 route and export it to a folder. Then delete it in BC when done. Then you can just import it again the next time you want to use it. Seems to me that would eliminate the whole file structure within BC. But that also cripples a lot of the sharing of data that BC allows.
That's the way I've been doing it, importing and exporting individual routes to my "maps" folder just like I did with MapSource. To me it eliminates the huge cluttered mess and the possibility of inadvertently changing the original route if I choose to edit an existing route- I still haven't figured that one out. Also, I'm not a big "data sharing" guy- rarely is there more than me &/or 1 other person who would need the route I'm using.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out the confusion of the File System within BaseCamp. So I took a snapshot of mine. I'll easily explain my theory(s) below...

BC_file-system_zps1z7ggvbw.jpg

Very Normal File system .....to me anyways?

Notice, I keep a "parent" folder to hold the "child" folders. So i.e. there are several "EOM's or NAFO's" etc. You would make a parent folder for lets say "EOM", then within that folder, make the child folder(s) of those years i.e. "EOM13, EOM14" etc. Put (or make) your routes (or tracks) of each in the correct years folder. This keeps a clean and easy file system for your routes, and, you can move Files (or Folders!) around, re-name etc and with ease!

A common error for newb's is that they don't "highlight" the folder (parent) that they want to make another folder within (child). Another tip is naming your Routes; Keep it definitive but short. This way it doesn't roll-off your GPS' select screen, and you can pretty much get the idea within 6-8 words. Oh, and with BC, highlight any Folder or File prior (that you want to deal or work with(in), this is the trigger to basic BC success!

There yas go, file system Top Speed-101 and very easy-peasy!

Last edited by a moderator:
For the life of me, I cannot figure out the confusion of the File System within BaseCamp. So I took a snapshot of mine. I'll easily explain my theory(s) below...
BC_file-system_zps1z7ggvbw.jpg

Very Normal File system .....to me anyways?

Notice, I keep a "parent" folder to hold the "child" folders. So i.e. there are several "EOM's or NAFO's" etc. You would make a parent folder for lets say "EOM", then within that folder, make the child folder(s) of those years i.e. "EOM13, EOM14" etc. Put (or make) your routes (or tracks) of each in the correct years folder. This keeps a clean and easy file system for your routes, and, you can move Files (or Folders!) around, re-name etc and with ease!

A common error for newb's is that they don't "highlight" the folder (parent) that they want to make another folder within (child). Another tip is naming your Routes; Keep it definitive but short. This way it doesn't roll-off your GPS' select screen, and you can pretty much get the idea within 6-8 words. Oh, and with BC, highlight any Folder or File that you want to deal with, this is the trigger to BC success!

There yas go, file system Top Speed-101 and very easy-peasy!
I haven't done BC, but that seems fairly straight forward.

In my pic^^, I've expanded some folder (trees) to show the overall file system. Of course it looks much cleaner with the other folders (that you are not working with) as collapsed [-].

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the easy part but here is a specific question, identical to what I asked in post #2 Can you answer it or not?

How do I modify a route in a "child" folder and save it as a different route with a different name WITHOUT BaseCamp changing the original route? I have tried moving it. Nope. I have tried coping it to another "child" folder. Nope. The original file in the original list is always changed. So I end up wasting hrs redoing route after route after route from scratch for even the most minor of editing.

For me, not getting answers to questions is the worst. Call me stupid, obviously I'm not as smart, level headed or as sensible as you but for the life of me I cannot figure out this POS file system.

That's the easy part but here is a specific question, identical to what I asked in post #2 Can you answer it or not?
How do I modify a route in a "child" folder and save it as a different route with a different name WITHOUT BaseCamp changing the original route? I have tried moving it. Nope. I have tried coping it to another "child" folder. Nope. The original file in the original list is always changed. So I end up wasting hrs redoing route after route after route from scratch for even the most minor of editing.

For me, not getting answers to questions is the worst. Call me stupid, obviously I'm not as smart, level headed or as sensible as you but for the life of me I cannot figure out this POS file system.
If you right click on the original route, look down the list of commands. You should see "cut, copy & DUPLICATE". Click duplicate and a second file name will appear, usually with a 1 behind the name. You can do anything you want to this file, change it, rename it, move it to another folder or whatever. The original file will not be changed.