Buying a demo versus a new-new bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blassoff

Its just the dog in me, baby
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm looking at purchasing a leftover 2014. And I have two dealers asking the same price for two different bike. Both are 2014A, one is new with zero miles and one is a demo with 640 miles. Both are being sold as new with full factory warranties. Would you expect there to be a price difference between the two? I sure thought so, but whadda I know?

Thoughts, conjectures, prudent knowledge, or pure wags excepted. Appreciate any input!

Baz😃

Agree with majicmaker, go with true new when there isn't a price delta -- and frankly, even if there is a price delta. Some demo rides are fairly sedate and reasonable. Others are people trying to see if they can break the machine.

I would not buy a demo unless it came with a substantial discount. Even though it comes with an 'as new' warranty, it is a used machine and you have no idea how many people used it and how well they rode. I thought Yamaha sponsored demo bikes by providing them to the dealer at a discount, but that may only be for particular models.

Baz, it depends on what selling price is.. If they're at or close to invoice for instance, then it would be up to the dealer with the 'demo' bike to assess whether they want to lose money on bike to sell it. For a dealer to even have a true demo, and have discount to go with it, then generally the bike has to be ordered as such. Then there is a hold placed on being able to actually sell it, usually 90 days, mileage usually doesn't matter. You could look at it in another more positive light also,, it is mostly broken in and first service should have been done, which saves you. It's ready to go.. As to the idea that 600 miles devalues the bike significantly , then that would make most FJR's on the road absolutely worthless. It is a new bike, think of it as such and go with whichever bike or dealer suits you the best. Good luck.

Both bikes are listed at 11,950. The demo has had it's first service completed. Dealer #1 is 250 miles away, but has agreed to take a 2000 honda shadow Spirit 1100 with 44,000 miles in trade for $1500.The out the door price with the $1500 trade is $11,300.

Dealer #2 is 60 miles away, has a new (non-demo'd) bike.

Honestly, I like the idea of buying the demo. First service is done and I don't have to deal with break-in. I'm talking to the sales manager (also the owner) and he's been straight with me all through the process. Never met the guy, but I like what I'm sensing.

I was talking to an HD dealer who has a used 2013 on the floor. 24,000 miles asking 10450. When I asked them to quote financing they refused to quote a rate unless I was in the store. I'm on the phone with the sales guy and he can't talk numbers Fuq them.

I asked the demo owner if he'd throw in an extended warranty. I'm waiting for a response. If I haven't pissed him off, I'm leaning in his direction.

We'll see. One way or another I believe I'm going to be a new (somewhat) 2014 fjr owner. The 05 will be available along with a hundred Gen1 farkles.

Whoo Baby...

Those prices are stupendously low. You are getting amazing deal whichever way you go. The book the banks use to value bikes ( NADA) places value of a 'actual used' FJR well above $13K. (2014). Follow your heart and mind and ride on.

I'd pass on the demo because EVERYONE who rides a demo does so like they stole it. No break in at all as everyone will blast at WFO since they know someone else will end up with the demo while they'll ride off on their new, untouched bike (and do so with the idea that they'll have it - and any problems WFO might create - for some time).

I'd pass on the demo because EVERYONE who rides a demo does so like they stole it. No break in at all as everyone will blast at WFO since they know someone else will end up with the demo while they'll ride off on their new, untouched bike (and do so with the idea that they'll have it - and any problems WFO might create - for some time).
I never can make my mind up about this.

Yeah, the bike will have been taken to the redline a few times in 1st ... maybe even is 2nd. But it will have done most of its 600 miles at modest speeds, getting to somewhere it could be enjoyed a bit.

The opportunities on the open road to actually thrash an FJR1300 are pretty few, and most riders would poop their pants if they tried it on a test ride.

Bounce might be correct (he often is), but I think the demo bike will still be a very good buy.

I don't know that people who test ride a FJR would thrash it just to thrash it. I'm sure a couple gave it some gas, but with that Motorman break-in thing running around, maybe that has no effect.

Probably less chance of shenanigans than buying 99% of used bikes. However, if they are the same price, OTD, I'd go with the new one. Some savings would be enough to move most people to the demo bike. As said before, now it's 1st service isn't for another 3400 miles, and you should be pretty sure the first one was done right.

I guess I'd have to see them. Lol...Good luck.

For the same price it's a no-brainer, buy the new '14. New bike or not, a demo is still a demo and it's a used bike. I'd be looking for a $1000 discount plus a two YES thrown in to take it off their hands.

BTW, great price on the leftover new '14...

Good luck, you can't go wrong with either.

--G

From what I've read it appears Blassoff has not actually seen the demo bike. If that's true how do you know the bags are not scuffed up. Perhaps the shifter rubber is worn out and the tires are half worn out. I'll stay with my earlier comment. If you can afford the new bike get your fanny to the dealer before someone else buys it.

I would not buy a demo unless it came with a substantial discount. Even though it comes with an 'as new' warranty, it is a used machine and you have no idea how many people used it and how well they rode. I thought Yamaha sponsored demo bikes by providing them to the dealer at a discount, but that may only be for particular models.

The bike is discounted, in that the dealer receives a credit when he puts the bike into the demo program. There may also be a one year YES included with the program, there has been in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was a demo bike, but with zero miles.

Dealer never even had a battery in it, until I bought it.

Bike was allocated as "demo", but never used as such.

The only drawback was that they couldn't sell it for 90 days, from the time they got it.

I had to wait 2-3 weeks, but it was January and I couldn't ride it anyway.

No haggle price of $11,500.

So.......I'm still waiting to hear from the demo seller. I don't know folks, I believe that most anyone testing an FJR has to have an idea what they're getting into and is taking a demo ride to get a feel for the girl. Yes, it's probably seen redline a couple of times, but if it's new and in perfect condition I don't see a problem (if the price is right).

That said, I'm going to see the HD dealer today to get my deposit on the 13 back and to piss up his leg for jerking me around, then I'm riding to the local (more local) Yammy dealer to put a deposit on the New New 14.

See, I hesitate to buy a new bike (never have bought a new bike) cause I know I'm gonna ride like I stole it and if I don't bonk her on the tarmac once in a while how will she know that she's loved?

My 05 has a couple of battle scars (bags need to be repainted, probably should change the sliders so they don't show the rubbing they took, ya know minor stuff) but in my eyes that's kinda how a bike should look. LIKE IT'S BEEN RIDDEN. No garage queens, I'm too young and way too busy. Try to ride 100+ days a year and wash it twice.

I hear ya....Buy new, leave the demo to somebody else.

Thanks Gang!! B

I'd be curious as to what SkooterG has to say about what a demo bike actually sees as far as "test rides" actually consist of...

If in fact that was the case that it was a Yamaha Truck demo bike....

I've never had the opportunity to get in on one of those demo days when the truck comes around - but if my memory serves correct, don't the rides all go with Yamaha Truck guys fore and aft of the groups on the test rides ?!?!? I can't imagine that they get a whole lot of leeway to tear those bikes up much....

Personally I'm a zero miles, new machine guy - but thats just me. My 05 and now 15 saw redline plenty of times during the so called "Break In Period" - doesn't bother me a bit and its not going to hurt the machine....

If the dealer offered up a 4 year Y.E.S. warranty on top of the discounted demo bike, and your sure that the dealer has actually done the first 600 miles service work, I'd think that it would be worth the extra deep discount.... Any dealer could "say" they did the work, but truth be told I don't trust dealers much - they are in business to make money and saving anywhere they can, can also mean don't waste shop time if you can get away with it....

Good luck on your choice...

Remember - 2013 model has a 80mph cruise limit.... where the 14's don't whether that makes a difference to you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea...And truth be told I don't like to color of the 13's. I was looking at a 12 just cause I love having a blue bike (one reason for the 05), but I can certainly live with red. At least LEO won't have any trouble picking me out of a line-up.

I was hoping both Scooter and Iggy would weigh in. I'd be interested in their take.

I'm gonna call demo dealer this morning and see if an extended warranty will be part of the deal. If so, He's got my business. If not, I'm buying new this afternoon.

Time to get edumacated on Gen III's. God I love this site!

Baz