Oil leak at drain plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bn14475

Reaction score
I just changed my oil on my 2008 FJR 1300 for the first time and it looks like the drain plug was stripped by the previous owner. When I removed the drain plug I noticed that there wasn't a crush washer in place. There was a rubber seal but no crush washer which is what I was expecting. I had purchased a crush washer with my filter and oil at a Yamaha dealer. When I went to reinstall the plug and the washer the drain plug was way too big for the crush washer.

My thought is that the previous owner might have stripped it and installed a larger plug.

Wondering if I am looking at replacing the oil pan now along with the correct plug and washer.

Also when I reinstalled the plug without the washer and just kept the rubber gasket in place the plug would tighten and then become loose again. I was not tightening it much at all and was not using a torque wrench. Being very careful but it didn't take much to loosen while tightening it. Had it tight enough to where there was no leak but after going on a 150 mile ride there was a small bit of oil on my garage floor the next morning.

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and replace the pan or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks.

there should be a crush washer there and even if the plug was up sized you can still find crush washers for what ever size. As long as the current plug with properly tighten and there is flat surface around the drain hole and the plug to match to compress properly a crush ring then it should seal. I really think you need to take the plug back out and measure it to check if it has actually been changed also asses the threads of the plug and the inside the pan. if the plug is original and all the threads are nice and clean then it is simply a crush washer issue.

drainplugwasher.jpg

A comparable washer that I found was at a local O'Reilly's and is part #65310 from Dorman. It comes in a 3 pack and is a 1/2" (M14) oversize crush washer.

Thank you everyone for your responses. The path I am taking right now is speaking with the dealer that I bought the bike from. I remember them confirming that they changed the oil while readying it for sale. I have read that the correct drain plug size for my 2008 is 17mm and the plug that is currently installed is 18mm. That would tell me that a larger size was installed. The more troubling thing is that the service department at the dealer should have realized this. They didn't install a crush washer when they changed the oil. Looks like they used a rubber gasket instead. I currently have a dialogue going right now with them to see if they will correct the situation for me. Hopefully they will take care of it.

If you bought the bike from a dealership, then they knew the drain plug was stripped. That is horribly unethical. The equivalent of putting sawdust in a noisy differential. I would much prefer that they lied about doing the oil change than that they knowingly sold you a bike in that condition.

I would be pretty upset about that, were I in your shoes. Sure, give them a chance to make it right, but if they re-neg I'd be all over that fly-by-night outfit like stink on shit.

At the end of the day, your pan either needs to be repaired with a heli-coil or time-sert or completely replaced. I haven't seen any other solutions that I personally would feel comfortable with.

Oh, and find a new service department.

I believe it as already been repaired. Hence the reason for the larger drain plug. I don't see a big issue hear. Several people have repaired there oil pans this way. You just need to find the correct washer to seal the plug properly. The question remains whether the dealership screwed it up or the original owner. If the dealership did it then its on them. If the original owner screwed it up then in my opinion you can't blame the dealer. They may not have known about it at the time of sale.

I would check an auto parts place to find something suitable. If not available go down to your local machine shop and ask the to take a 1" diameter round piece of copper or aluminum, drill a hole in it and cut off a couple of dozen washers. Second thought check the size first. Now that I think of it they have that stupid raised part of the casting next to the hole. I don't know why its there. Not like we are doing any off roading with an FJR. Well at least most of us.

Good 2 go,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, I'll betcha a beer it's stripped. He said when he tightened the plug, it got a little tight, then loose again. Half assed approach by the dealer to make it hold by using a rubber seal

Your on!

You can't over tighten the rubber washer so that is why it kept coming loose. if it was stripped it would have fallen out completely.

Getting thirsty already,
drinks.gif

Dave

I was thinking what Phil is thinking, but Dave has a point. I'm leaning Phil's direction, but I'm gonna sit back here and watch. Lol...

At the end of the day, your pan either needs to be repaired with a heli-coil or time-sert or completely replaced. I haven't seen any other solutions that I personally would feel comfortable with. Oh, and find a new service department.
When I striped out my rear dif drain plug a while back I looked at both Heli-coil and Time-cert and went with the latter. Heli is good for a stripped/retapped spark plug or bolt but when oil is involved like in an oil pan or rear dif, I was told, the heli-coil could leak. I've never had a drop of oil come out with the time-cert and everything's oem now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your responses. The path I am taking right now is speaking with the dealer that I bought the bike from. I remember them confirming that they changed the oil while readying it for sale. I have read that the correct drain plug size for my 2008 is 17mm and the plug that is currently installed is 18mm. That would tell me that a larger size was installed. The more troubling thing is that the service department at the dealer should have realized this. They didn't install a crush washer when they changed the oil. Looks like they used a rubber gasket instead. I currently have a dialogue going right now with them to see if they will correct the situation for me. Hopefully they will take care of it.
And the dealership should have informed you.

IMO they are obligated to make it right, and using a rubber gasket is most definitely unacceptable.
weirdsmiley.gif

Geesh!