North Cascades Hwy & Sun Mt. Lodge Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
After riding in the Mexico monsoon dual sport ride with MotoDiscovery last month it was really good to be back home. The significant lesson learned is I enjoy road riding more than off pavement riding. There are lots of places to go around home on good paved roads. And you can time your fun to work with mother nature and not fight here as we did in Mexico.

I think I brought the Mexican monsoon weather back with me for we have got our fair share of rain in Seattle over the past month. Ah but this past weekend was a gem and I was determined to get out and enjoy the fair skies with my lovely wife. We kicked around the idea of the going to to ocean with the dog in the car but finally settled on taking the motorcycle over the North Cascades Hwy and stay the night at Sun Mountain Lodge a luxury lodge near Winthrop Washington.

Sun Mountain Lodge

mainLodgeGardner3.jpg

View from the dining room.

sun_mountain_lodge_recreation_winthrop_wa_unitedstates.jpg

I have been riding the North Cascade Hwy for years and visited the Cascadian designed lodge a few times. Someday I was going to stay for a night, damned the prices. As so the Mexican Monsoon trip provided enough incentive to shell out a bit of coin to make this a special weekend. And it WAS!

We got a lazy start, just perfect to let the temps warm up to keep my wife happy as we started to gain elevation.

Our first stop was at Diablo dam; a dam on the 2015 Unofficial Dam tour list.

IMG_2356%2B%28640x480%29.jpg

After Diablo dam we continue east on the North Cascades Hwy and I whip out my camera for some on the go pics.

Enjoy!

IMG_2362%2B%28640x450%29.jpg

The temps were in the mid 50's to mid 60's most of the day. Perfect! And we were heading east on a Sunday while everybody else was heading back to the west. The road was mostly clear the entire way from Rockport to Winthrop a real treat.

IMG_2363%2B%28640x465%29.jpg

IMG_2364%2B%28640x467%29.jpg

If this road went on forever would you care?

IMG_2365%2B%28640x395%29.jpg

The road opened a couple of weeks ago, about one month early this year. Snow pack is down 50-75% this year.

IMG_2372%2B%28640x415%29.jpg

Approaching Washington Pass

IMG_2378%2B%28640x418%29.jpg

Crest of Washington Pass

IMG_2387%2B%28640x330%29.jpg

Just in case there is an avalanche.
uhoh.gif

IMG_2389%2B%28640x474%29.jpg

We arrive at the lodge, have a couple of drinks and enjoys some hot tub time. It was a wonderful evening and very relaxing to stay in a 4 star resort, especially on a Sunday when the place was rather empty.

Mt Gardner is the view from our room. Spectacular. This was sunrise on Monday morning.

IMG_2396%2B%28640x480%29.jpg

On Monday morning have breakfast and go for a walk on the Interpretive loop trail.

IMG_2397%2B%28640x462%29.jpg

IMG_2398%2B%28640x338%29.jpg

IMG_2399%2B%28640x412%29.jpg

IMG_2400%2B%28640x480%29.jpg

For Tyler
smile.png
This hillsides were covered with this flower. Lupines were not in bloom yet.

IMG_2402%2B%28640x512%29.jpg

IMG_2403%2B%28640x480%29.jpg

We leave about 11:30 and continue east to Hwy 97 and the Columbia River.

IMG_2405%2B%28640x419%29.jpg

After two days it is back to work but we both had a great time. Nice to get away and do something new while doing something I have done for years.

I highly recommend the Sun Mt Lodge. They offer hiking, mountain biking, fishing, kayaking, canoeing and that is just the summer time. Tip go mid week to avoid the crowds and go in the spring time. I didn't need to go far to have a great time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure didn't have to go far to have a good time on the bike Jim. Good choice of the two options. Your pix are always great!

Keep going!

I just have one question. Was there heat in the room at the lodge?
Jeez, you should ask a guy what happens between the sheets!
All the accommodations in Mexico without heat add extra thick blankets and those worked just great. The issue was our gear would not dry off in rooms with no heat.

Lovely ride isn't it Jim? It's special this time of year with the snow and all.
Yes it is a great ride - best in the state, especially this time of the year. The road, from west to east, heads southeast, the trees in the shade provide a significant contrast to the pristine blue sky and snow capped mountains. In many places the road ahead is the only view of the mountains as it cuts a hallway of scenery through the trees.

Great pictures! Someday an extended ride to the PNW is called for. It would be great to hang out with the PNW crew amongst those stellar vistas! :clapping:

Nice ride Jim, especially when you're heading the opposite direction of traffic! Never get tired of North Cascades and the scenery so close to home. Glad to hear the room had heat!!

Thanks for taking us along.

--G

Very nice - they tell me Washington has this kind of weather, but I find it hard to believe. Thanks for disproving my wrongful assumptions.

Forecast high for me this weekend is like 87. Guess October will eventually get here.....

(sigh)