Best bag liners?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbasky

Reaction score
Hi folks

Looking to invest in pair of bag liners for my 04 FJR.

I'm considering offerings from Ceebaileys or Kathy Journey Designs - both around $100 mark.

Please share any and all advice, based on your experience with either product.

Conversely, if there's strong case to be made for spending more for Yamaha brand, then let me know that too.

Thank you

Greg Basky

Saskatoon SK CANADA

I like the Yamaha bags... Built for the bike. On my 05, one of the seams along the zipper finally gave way.. Took it to my local seamstress and she reinforced it to better then new..

EBay has Yamaha for $56 ?

Can't comment on the other offerings myself, but it they for for cheaper that's a strong case to be made as long as they are durable..

Last edited by a moderator:
I was irritated when I went to take delivery of my 2014 and I couldn't fit all my gear on board because the sidecases were chock full of Yamaha bag bags. Take up half the room of the sidecase. But maybe that's just me.

I only use the side bag liners when I have them packed full of clothes, like on a multi day trip. In that circumstance they do not take up any of the bag's room.

The rest of the time I have no need for bag liners. YMMV

+1 on Fred W.

I only use bag liners when traveling. My bike had the OEM liners when I bought it so nothing to compare against.

...the sidecases were chock full of Yamaha bag bags. Take up half the room of the sidecase. But maybe that's just me.
That's just you. That's not even on the radar screen of an accurate statement. I use the inner bags all the time, they're well designed and durable. They may limit the number of socks you can take or something but there's no material reduction in capacity using the inner bags. And if you don't want to use them...don't.

They take up quite a bit of room versus an empty side case on my 14. There is a material reduction in the capacity that's available for use in the sidecase with the OEM bags used in the OEM sidecases provided with my bike. Sort of a volume of the case minus the volume taken up by the fabric of the bag thing. If you don't need all the space of the sidecases and want something easy to yank out, they might be useful. I could see the wife using them.

Nope Not even gonna go there.

I think there should be a non refundable Ten Thousand dollar fee to all new members who can't read what they were told

Stock ones are great. Most rides around here involve shedding a large layer when morning becomes afternoon. I've learned it's good to put all my clothes etc. in the bag in the downhill side case, leave the other bag home, and transfer layers, gloves etc. into the empty uphill side case. Then my shit only falls on the ground once I get to the hotel, and not throughout the day
rolleyes.gif

The OEM bag liners seems to work for us. We haven't found the bulk of the bags to restrict payload, but they make managing the payload much easier. The bags are good enough that we took them to line the K1300 and K1600 hard bags as we toured California. Conveniently, the Yamaha bags fit the BMW hard cases. As I often carry a high end DSLR and big $$$$$$ lenses the bag provides a bit of shock absorbancy. I also tend to use the right bag as my 'office brief case'.

I can't see why an OEM bag would be a liability.

Keep your eyes open around here. The OEM liners come up for sale by members of this forum a couple times a year and seem to average around $50.

Some time ago someone posted a good write-up about how they organized their sidecase using small, different colored stuff sacks laying sideways, probably bought from someplace like REI. As one of my cases stays full with essentials (pump, half-cover, rain-gear, etc.) I thought it a nice idea but I think the OP also used it to organize clothing and such. Sorry I can't find the link or remember who it was.

My downhill (when parked) case has the Yamaha bag half full of: balaclava, knit cap, winter gloves, scarf, REI rain pants (for under the A-Stars ventilated trousers), and state road maps for 7 or 8 southeastern states. An unopened bottle of water's in there, too, and I really should add a pressure gauge to perform the TCLOCK ritual with more accuracy.

Uphill case carries stuff for that specific day, but NOT in the bag: Big Money Rally notebook (yes the entire bonus listing sans photos), placard, and clippy things; briefcase when I moto-commute; presents for an 8-year-old family friend when headed to their house; yadda, yadda, yadda, you get the idea.

The cases open out, which means the downhill case spilled everything until I corralled it in the port-side bag.

Uncle Hud's got the idea. Some stuff I want all the time, carried in a bag on the right side. It's mostly for the kind of things he said, but I also carry my first aid kit, a better-than-stock tool kit, a spare warm shirt/layer in a ziploc baggie, etc. Without the bag, it falls out. I mounted a bungee-type net inside the left bag, which is the downhill side when I use the side stand, to keep random purchases from falling out. The bag on that side is for traveling, like others have said. The liner fits in the side case fine, even with the bungee net there.

My soft bags are always in my hard bags. Never had an issue. The best thing about them is they are removable, so use then if you want, or dont. Personally I don't see a reason to buy another brand.

FWIW - I was pleasantly surprised to find that they have improved the bag liner design on the 3rd Gen bikes a bit. I'm hopeful that they won't blow out their upper seams when someone :rolleyes: over-packs them, like happened on our first Gen liners. Of course, after re-stiching the bags by hand with heavy carpet thread, they held up to the estrogen enhanced over-stuffing just fine. ;)