First impressions Sena 20S

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorfjr

Reaction score
After 8 years using an Autocom Active 7 it had given it's all and I've moved on. Just took delivery of a Sena 20S twin pack and so far I'm impresses.

The FM radio works well here in town which was one of my first wishes. Not sure what reception will be like in the mountains and canyons yet, but will know soon.

The intercom works well, fairly easy to pair with each other and good sound quality. The first observation is I'm not getting the wind opening the comm at all like I did with the Autocom, which is good.

Think I'm going to pick up the Sena 10 something bluetooth transmitter to hook up the GPS and Valentine.

In all so far think I'm gonna like it.

Excellent news junior! Now that you have a 20S, you and Pops can share pivot man duties!!

SO and I really like the SMH-10 units we have, glad to hear your first impressions are good.

--G

Please provide more feedback as you get time to use it more, as I've been sitting on the fence on getting the 20S also. Everytime I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set, I read more review negatives from a few unhappy users and it scares me away again. Seems that complexity & loss of pairing can still be an issue for some, plus the crappy sound you get if you still want to use your phone through your Zumo (which is the Zumo's issue, not the Sena's, but without it you lose the phone book features).

Relative newbie to Sena 20s here. Firstly, I had no prior comms whatsoever, so no other comm system for comparison, and a lot of my good review stems from the first opportunity for music and conversation inside my hat.

1) Easy to use? Yes and no. Yes, easy to install; easy to charge; easy to listen to iPhone music and FM radio; easy to change stations/songs; and easy to sync with other Senas (haven't tried with other brands). No, because there are so many features that my tiny brain can't remember all the button-pressing sequences to do all the potential things. The 'cheat sheet' helps, but not at 60 mph on an Atlanta freeway.

2) Pairing? After the initial 'consummation' with the iPhone, turn on the phone first and the Sena mates automatically during startup. After the first 'hubba hubba' with other Senas, my Sena mated with them again during startup. Battery lasted for over 7 hours of more-or-less nonstop conversation with rpm on a Big Money Rally run through middle Georgia. Had a threeway with MrZappo and his buddy when they rolled through on their way to Daytona Bike Week, and all three of us hooked up within 30 seconds. (All Senas, which surely makes a difference.)

3) Loudness? Not enough. But that can be said for my Subaru Outback, too. It helped when I inserted the (included) shims to put the speakers slap up against my ears, but Rage Against the Machine was meant to be played with a few more dB than the Sena provides. Frank (Sinatra) sounds just fine, as does Miles, Diana Krall, and acoustic Neil Young.

4) Sound quality? Let's be real, here. It ain't a 400-watt Sansui with Advent speakers. It's a battery-powered comm system with super-thin speakers the size of silver dollars. That said, I can hear what's playing. Had some difficulty listening to Georgia Tech baseball play-by-play on the radio, but I was traveling at 70 mph ... which brings me to my last point ...

5) I have become acutely aware of the noise created by my helmet. (Bell Vortex; see avatar.) It's not wind through the neck opening. (Scarf test.) It's not wind through the vents. (Open/closed = same noise level.) It's just wind turbulence on the outside of the helmet that's transmitted directly through the shell. Wind turbulence (because it changes loudness and pitch as I slowly move my head around) transmitted through the shell -- because how else am I hearing it?

So, maybe a new hat will show up on my next birthday, and King Crimson will once again blast as loudly as they did on stage back in 1972.

Would I recommend Senas? Yes, without hesitation. Are they the best? Don't know, having no experience with its competitors. Something to be said for having a unit that is common among other riders, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for more feedback Hud. Why not go with earbuds for both better sound quality and wind noise reduction (yeah, I know that one is an oxymoron, with blasting music directly into your ears, but...better tunes than wind) That was another reason for me wanting to go with a 20S, for the alternate ear bud availability. Not a helmet speaker fan, by any means.

On another note, what other comm brands can a Sena connect up with? Or confirmed not being able to connect with?

One of the reasons I chose to spend the extra for the 20 over the 10 was the earbud port already there. Both wife and have molded Westone earbuds, plugs are essential.

We have had five folks hooked up at the same time with good sound. Some of us with S20's and the others with SMH-10's.

S20's do a couple of good things.

As already talked about here, the ear phone setup is much better than the SMH-10.

Also I have found the FM radio is good in my metro area.

Also the boom setup is much better than the SMH-10

As I went from the SMH-10 to the S20, my learning curve was quite a bunch quicker.

The only problem I have had is getting Panman to give me a little piece and quite on our rides. I sure he says the same about me.
not_i.gif

And almost forgot, my phone [sumsung GalaxyS III] sucks when I use my Zumo 550. So I bluetooth it to the S20. To bad because the 550 has some very cool phone stuff, Panman's works great through his Zumo 590.

I agree with many of Uncle Hud's comments:

1) Easy to use? Yes: easy to install, charge, listen to iPhone music and FM radio, change stations/songs, sync with other Senas (haven't tried with other brands). No: so many features/button-pressing sequences.
Agree on both points, wish Sena would make more of the setup sequences available via the smartphone app. Screen tap and walkthrough on-screen for settings would be much easier than "hold button 3 for 6 seconds, and tap jog dial after 2 seconds" (pairing 2nd phone) [did you hear that SENA?]

2) Paring <snip> Battery lasted over 7 hours of more-or-less nonstop conversation with rpm; <snip> three of us hooked up within 30 seconds.
10 hours using Bluetooth music and occasional phone calls during last two rallies. I keep a 6Ah battery pack in chest pocket with USB cable to plug in while on road when "low battery" warning comes on at literally, the last minute.

3) Loudness? Not enough, helped when the (included) shims put the speakers slap up against my ears.

4) Sound quality? super-thin speakers the size of silver dollars, some difficulty listening to play-by-play on radio traveling at 70 mph

5) I have become acutely aware of the noise created by my helmet.
The shims will help close the air noise gap, but might be conducting shell noise if that tight. Make some space for noise reducing earbuds as suggested by Mudslide Miller. The earbuds are perfectly clear and the lower volume and driver power are probably also why I get 10+ hours vs. the speakers.

Sorry, but can't speak to FM & intercom; I ride alone with a 4GB mp3 library.

Just a follow up to those considering the Sena 20s. I finally received and hooked up the SM10 to hear my gps and V1. Following Nieharts instructions I was able to link it all together, with only one glitch. When listening to the FM radio you do not get the GPS and Radar overide. After many emails with Sena customer help, I found out the FM is priority with the SM10 no matter the configuration. If I had purchased a SR10 then you can hear the gps and radar while using fm radio. For those considering this setup.

Anyone that is running the 20s's.....

I had a case separation on mine, the little screws that hold the whole body together gave way....

I'm not positive but I think I know how it happened.... as the owners of these units know, they can be a bit difficult to get clicked / locked into the helmet clamp. If the antenna is up while seating/pushing down on the device, you are pressing on the outside shell and adding stress to those tiny body screws....

Make sure that the antenna is in the down position and push down on that spot to get it locked in....

I got an RMA from Sena and need to send it in for replacement or repair. They quoted me 2-3 weeks before I would see it back, right now I have tape holding it together and its fine and works with no issues, but I might wait until riding season is over before sending it in....

I don't think its a problem with the units themselves, Just something to be aware of FWIW....

My brother and I have both units (SMH 10 & 20S) and like them very much. However, the 20S does not like rain and will malfunction; rain is not a problem with the SMH10. I'm not sure why Sena released their flagship model 20S knowing that it is barely rain resistant. I need to come up with a suitable cure to guard against rain; I was thinking about using a black baloon to cover over it during inclimate weather. Anybody come up with a suitablerain protection idea?

What problems are you finding in the rain?

I have used mine twice while riding in all day rain and have not experienced any problems. Mine is BT connected to a Garmin 590 which is providing navigational instructions and music from MP3's saved on the 590. One of the trips included bike to bike comm paired to another rider with a 20's and one with a sMH10.

Latest posts