Helping a friend in odd situation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
So on Saturday I went for a joy ride, ostensibly to get gas, but really just to enjoy the beautiful weather and get away from home. I go off our lovely island, get gas, and on my way back, I see a guy up ahead walking on the shoulder of the highway. Then I see he is carrying a helmet, and I notice he is wearing his motorcycle jacket, and finally, as I draw up to him, I recognize him from the ferry.

Wo, Wo, Wo, I slow down and pull over to see if he needs help. Cars zoom by at 60. He gets to me and we greet. He's a guy I see on the ferry quite often and we have that sort of casual acquaintance. He proceeds to tell me that he had just been rear ended while sitting at the stop light. Some person had slammed into him, sending him flying off his bike. He thinks the bike is pretty tweaked.

I immediately evaluate him for injury, but he seems OK. I was once a certified Wilderness First Responder, if you know what that is. I ask him why he's walking, and he tells me it's because his wife is away. I say, Hell, hop on! He had his gear on after all.

A few miles later, winding here and there, I drop him off at home. Could of been me. Could of been you. I happen to know this guy is a careful experienced rider, not some young buck trying to get a thrill.

What were the chances I would be going by and see a guy I knew needing help? 100% on this day I guess!

Hough says being rear ended is a relatively rare accident, but who wants that to happen? Not me.

Be safe out there.

Right place, right time. Good on ya
smile.png

Yeah, we've all been the recipient of unlikely help, and it feels good to give it when we can.

Man, the stories I could tell of people helping me in my times of sorest need, out of the blue, like angels. One time, I'm driving back up I5 from LA to Berkeley, in my old truck, I'm 20, and I run out of gas. Don't ask. Middle of freaking nowhere, hotter than hell. Next thing I know, a car literally packed with farm workers ( my guess given their dirtiness) pulls over, pops their hood, siphons gas out of their carb, puts it in my tank, and wishes me well. Wouldn't take a penny. Not a damn penny. I'm poor, but not as poor as they probably are, and they wouldn't take a penny.

If I met those guys today I'm buy them each a beer and dinner. And we've all had those experiences. It's good to go through life with gratitude. Good to recognize all the big and little ways other people choose to help us. The myth of the self sufficient independent man was slow to die in me, but it has died a natural death. Around all my edges I've come to see that I am utterly dependent on the consideration, kindness and competence of strangers. And unlikely help at the neediest of times.

Once, while attempting a tight right-hand u-turn on the FJR in a small parking lot, I got too slow and she took a nap. Laura and I rolled off and actually landed on our feet, but after checking Laura to be sure she was OK, I turned back to the bike and out of nowhere this guy on a cruiser is right there in the lot offering to help pick the FJR up. No sooner had we got it upright and on the side stand, we shook hands and he was gone! Never got a name, nothing. He even had his young son on the back with him and he never hesitated to stop and help.

I make it a habit to try to check on any stopped rider I see, as long as it's safe to do so. Most times, I get a thumbs up and they are fine, just checking a map/GPS, making a call, etc. I hope that someday, if i need help again, someone will take the time to stop and check on me. Always add to the Karma bank!! Nicely done by the OP!!

I stop when it looks like a rider needs help. I have run to get gas for a guy that was out and in the middle of nowhere. I helped a small guy pickup one of those big Harley baggers. Sometimes you can't really do much, but it's really is the thought that counts.

I am sure it helped them out and made them feel good.

I am positive it made me feel even better.

Very good story and glad you were in a position to help.

I remember doing a little fishing a few years back to help some friends out of the water...You'll meet them and a few of the others that were there that day this Saturday at the tech meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
No word about if the driver that hit him left the scene of the wreck or not. Usually cops responding to an accident call will either call transport for you or give you a lift. Alternately the wrecker driver has given me a ride back to the yard to then make arrangements.

Good for you Salish, nicely done!
I remember doing a little fishing a few years back to help some friends out of the water...You'll meet them and a few of the others that were there that day this Saturday at the tech meet.
...and that still brings a tear to my eye.

--G
Mine too when I think about how it could have gone

Just "doing a little fishing"...............you were Superman without a cape that day.

Just "doing a little fishing"...............you were Superman without a cape that day.
Just glad I was there and had the training from my Navy days to fall back on.
punk.gif
smile.png

I always try to help whenever possible. Last year we were starting the beginning of our 2600 trip through CA that finished at the Reuben Run when I saw a Harley and it's owner on the side of the road between Eugene and the coast. Even with all the crap that I give about Harleys, I told our other 2 bikes that we had to turn around and help. It was a good 2 miles till I could find a safe spot to turn around. I am glad we did because nobody was stopping for him and there was not Cell phone service at all. This guy just got the deal of the century on this bike and he was litterally on his way to the Harley dealer in Eugene to pick up a factory tool kit for the bike. His battery get a very loose connection on the way and finally just got too loose and cut all power. I always keep extra tools and was lucky enough to have all that was needed. I pulled the cover off, tightened up the battery cable, and off he went. I am glad that we stopped. He looked like one of the types that others wouldn't even consider stopping for.

Just glad I was there and had the training from my Navy days to fall back on.
punk.gif
smile.png
My friend, we are all glad that you were there that day. That was just after my accident and it shook me up pretty good.

Threads like this remind me that not all people are dinks. Thanks for helping out! But what happened to his bike? The cops or tow truck driver didnt give him a lift?

That swim rescue story sounds intense, and I would appreciate hearing more at the tech meet Saturday.

I wondered the same thing about the guy not getting a ride from the tow truck, but didn't ask. He was kind of shaken up. I just made sure he was OK enough to ride safely and put him on the back.