Cruise control options - Mechanical Lock, gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababang

Reaction score
Looking for a good option for cruise control. Installed the throttlemeister on my 09 and didn't like how you had to set it with both hands, just didn't feel safe, (for me). I know there is an electronic version but feel that price tag is too much for how I'll use this control.

Anybody have experience with mechanical type controls? Thoughts?

thanks

I would stick with the TM and get more familiar with using it. Works good for a bolt on and looks clean. You would get used to doing with one hand with a little time. Very easy to just roll and then adjust the throttle slightly if needed and snug up even more.

Murphs' AVCC cruise at ~$180 and Rostra for ~$260 provide car cruise control type speed regulation and simplicity of use. Living in an area with rolling hills and some mountains I find that throttle locks simply aren't useful.

At $944.00 AUD I don't find the MCCruise to be a good value, but it does perform well, just like the Murphs'. The install isn't much easier than Murphs' but the MCCruise has a good, bike specific install instruction manual (which I consider to be a $760 manual, because that's about the only difference when compared to Murphs').

The capability of a true cruise control vs a throttle lock is really worth it unless you only need a few seconds or minutes relief from throttle wrist twisting.

I've been living with a GoCruise and cramp buster for temporary relief. Both provide a different benefit, but neither is a replacement for a true cruise control...

Looking forward to a GEN III one of these days!

--G

I have Omni Cruise, similar to Go Cruise, made of aluminum and has adjustable tension. Easy to use. Not very effective at maintaining steady speed. Installed AVCC from Murph's. Works beautifully. Omni Cruise is on the shelf, good for the occasional TBS.

If you want Cruise Control there are three options:

MCCruise ... megabucks. Offers a marginally easier instal for those worried about wiring. Works no better than the others

Murphkits (Audiovox, made by Rostra). The most common option. Requires a vacuum reservoir, works well.

Rostra (or Audiovox electronic) Can be a tricky instal, works like a factory set-up.

All of the above require a mechanical connection to the throttle cable assembly. This is not necessarily difficult, but is made considerably easier by googling for help, and removing things that are in the way (like the tank and fuel rail). Can be done with those items in place, but it is tricky and you don't want to be getting it wrong.

I have the ThrottleMeister, as well as the Rostra. It was fitted to the bike when I bought it. I did manage to use it quite effectively during one 3000 mile trip, but it's not easy and at best is a crude device. If cruise control is what you want then all of the throttle locks are simply poor substitutes, and they are not always cheap either.

Yamaha were fitting electronic cruise control to their touring motorcycles in the 1980s. It was a major, and surprising oversight that they failed to do so to the FJR until 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked my Kaoko throttle lock. Did the job and you can use one hand (at first it can be awkward at first). Now that I have a gen III, I have to admit the electronic cruise is so much better.

NEP throttle locks aren't as pretty as a Vista Cruise but they

aren't nearly as finicky.

Once set up they practically never need adjusting.

My current one is ten years old. Been using them for 30 years.

Wouldn't have a bike without one.

And that's with CC.

I also was not comfortable with using both hands to initially set the Throttlemeister. So I moved an Omni Cruise to the FJR from another bike I had. My routine is to set the Omni Cruise, then the Throttlemeister. Works great and I only use one hand.

With both of them set, I don't get that gradual drift off the set speed I would get with either one used separately.

I have the TM on my BMW. I could never operate it with one hand until I got a machined ring that somebody on ADVRider made that slips over the TM and attaches with a set screw. Now it looks and works like a Kaoko - much better. (I just checked and those knobs are still available - if anyone is interested, send me a pm and I'll get you the link). If I were doing it again, I'd just buy a Kaoko.

This also looks promising: https://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/

I put a Rostra on the FJR...worth the effort, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed an MCCruise for a forum friend (TangoSierra) and he is currently on a 7,000 mile trip including SWFOG next month. The AUD to USD exchange is in our favor right now, I think he paid about $800 for has shipped!

It was a b**ch at times working with the throttle cable connections and installing the cable interface unit that actually operates the throttle body rail. But overall, the 70 page manual was very well written and left little doubt step to step what to do. All the wiring and connectors were good quality and matched up as promised for his bike, no mods needed.

Diagnostics of the system is also very easy thanks to a separate manual for set up. Checking safety switches, CC operation, and RPM surge is very easy once you're all done.

1st test ride I was hooked on the smooth operation and easy adjustment of the MCC, but is it worth the cost? It's up to you and how many miles you'll ride. On my '06 I'd say probably not, you'd never get a return on selling your bike and something like this you cannot remove easily at all. Might as well go shopping for a 14 or 15 and bite the bullet. However if your like TangoSierra and have a 2010, it's a good upgrade to keep you enjoying your ride a few more years.

I personally have a throttle lock that sorta works like crap, but it's better than nothing. 😁😳

Why are you guys using two hands to set a TM? I've set mine one handed since the day I installed it.
I know right? Never thought of using two hands, have to try it to see how awkward that would be.

One of the side benefits I've found with the TM is that it extends the grip length to afford a wider grip when the mood strikes, without having half your hand hanging off the end holding on to nothing.