My Choice Gen I or Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayven99

Reaction score
Well I was riding my GSXR 600 on the night of April 1st and was hit by a car. I been stuck in bed the whole month of April so plenty of time to think. I was just informed my GSX-R 600 is totaled. I Already own a Gen 1 FJR. I bought plenty of parts from local owners and on this site. However my buddy like my Gen I and I was thinking up possibly moving to a Gen III. I was wondering if the saddle bags or top case can work on a Gen III from a Gen I. I know my N/LINE Shelf won't swap over along with a few other things but hoping to bring some items with me from Gen I to Gen III. Or do I stick with old faithful?

GEN I add ons:

1. Factory and XL large windshield

2. N/Line dash Shelf

3. Audiovox cruise control (not installed)

4. Throttle Meister Heavy bar ends (throttle lock) Not installed

5. Clearwater Lights (Ericas)

6. Top Case (Yamaha)

7. 2x Hard saddle bags

Won't Move From Gen 1: Windshield, dash shelf.

Will Move: Bar ends, lights, top case (depends on top case..many will move with a different plate...e.g. Givi)

Don't bother: Side bags (new ones come on the Gen 3)..unless you're talking about something different with "hard saddle bags", cruise control (Gen 3 have stock)

After 170,000 on my Gen 1 it was time for a new one and the Gen 3 is a nice evolution from the Gen 1....particularly the '14+ ES. Still have the Gen 1 for secondary duty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your crash. Can't help with any of the techno-questions, but I could bring you a beer. Georgia's a big state; PM some location info if you want me to bring one by the house and show off my 2015 Gen3.

Thanks for get well Uncle Bud. I finally healing from the hole in my foot. So just getting back to walking now I been stuck in bed the month of April. I live in Marietta, GA area Love to see your 15 ES. I missed the demo days in April. Thanks Ignacio and WheatonFJR for advise. I not looking to get the bike this year because deploying this fall so maybe a 2016 FJR for when I get back. However I might get the 15 if a great deal. I'm sill waiting on insurance settlement after I heal up.

Anyone else can still chime in.

Is the Gen3 a better bike? Sure.

If you have the extra $$ and want to spend it, go for it.

Or you can ride the Gen1 and buy a second (used) bike - or two - for variety.

New is good. Variety is good.

Life is good!

Heal quickly, and enjoy.

Iggy summed up the bits and pieces.

Spring for a GEN III and punt your old one to the curb...you won't be disappointed with the upgrade!

--G

Dayven,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

I have an '05 FJR 1300, the last of the Gen I's. The '06 saddle bags fit the '05 as I have them on mine. I don't know if later years fit prior generations. If anyone is in the San Francisco Bay area and wants to do a little experimenting for your benefit, we can try to make that work out.

All being told though, if you can buy a later model, do so. The heat issues on my '05 are really bad. I've spent 00's of $ on wrapping, this, that, and the other thing. All to no avail. The heating issue became less and less in '06 and '07 and, I think, by '08 it was all but gone. would welcome an '08 owner to confirm.

However, after 62K miles, it runs like a champ. Someone wrote earlier it is a "gas and go" bike, but don't forget to change the oil sometimes too! Highly accurate in my estimation. Even my valve clearance checkup at 24K (26K?) was minimal. It's been nothing but a wonderful m/c. Mizu (her name) makes me a far better rider than I actually am.

Speedy recovery.

Patrick

wether u want to use the old side bags on a new bike poses another question. In any case, they'll fit I'm pretty sure. FWIW, I owned the first gen for 3 riding seasons; 2nd gen for 8 and now with a `15 ES, I gotta say, it's by far the best platform with all it's features and benefits. I especially notice the better handling, due to it's more sophisticated suspensing no doubt. Turn in and line holding thru the curves (without much effort) is amazing and u will appreciate the info. display too boot !
smile.png

@Jscasteel not sure about Gen 1 selling just yet. I'm still deciding on a few things. If anything when I gen back from deployment in Spring 2016. I will decide to sell or not. I appreciate the offer. Since I'm leaving soon to quickly to make choices to sell just yet if I wanted too. Though still looking at my options esp. since I had to swap motors on it last year. The current engine has about 30,000 miles on it.

So, it's a Gen 1 that you already swapped motors on? Was it a ticker?

At this point it sounds like the Gen 1 is your old friend of 10 years. Kinda hard to part with that. I know many riding bikes a lot older, with tons of miles. Of course, if you put that many miles on bikes, it might be time to move it along to someone else who is starting out, and who would appreciate a bike that is well broken in.

Well I got the 2004 Gen I in Idaho back in 2010. It was in an accident with a front end collision but mainly just plastics. I rebuilt the bike and been riding it for about 4 years since I couldn't ride it while overseas. The engine had about 40,000 miles on it. I was riding and the bike just shutoff and wouldn't restart. The mechanics said the had been a prob at the pistons and was serious. Looked like improper fuel fixture during compression cause serious damage in the engine. He didn't rip the engine completely apart but was look at tons of money to fix or about 2K for used engine on Ebay with 27K miles and to install it. The 4th cylinder on the old engine was FUBAR.