Ram mount needed to secure phone.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababang

Reaction score
I'm looking for ram ball mount to support my phone. I believe there's a product out there that has the mount on the hex nut on top of the forks, near the tanks.

Also I think there was one that actually used the tank fasteners too.

Can anybody advise to where to find these?

Think twice about their Otterboxes. My RAM Otterbox is no longer water resistant, after less than 6 months on the job. The clear plastic face has begun separating from the rubber upper frame.

While that's a bad thing, it's not totally bad. The iPhone was overheating often, but with small holes on either side, about ⅔ of the way down, I suspect there will be enough ventilation to prolong the inevitable temp shutdown. Since the mount is tucked up behind the windscreen, not a lot of rain hits the box anyway.

Got to get off the bike long enough to install my new NLine shelf and Garmin, with the ventilated Otterbox alongside.

I use the Ram Bone with the X Grip, if you have a larger phone like the Samsung Note, I Phone 6 you need the Med X Grip.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Heli came with two 3/8-16 holes drilled and tapped just behind the ignition switch. I used them to mount a bracket I made with a 5V tap on the left and a 12V tap on the right and a 1" RAM ball for either an auto GPS or a cell phone. Both are switched from the Fuzeblock.

DSC00002-1.JPG

Mounted with two 3/8" bolts and stainless tubing was used for the spacer bushings:

DSC00003-1.JPG

Use this holder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QD8Q5Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my LG G3, but might go to something smaller.

I got tired of the small, dim screen of my old zumo 550, so I've been using a nuvi 1490; the 5" screen is a lot easier for me to see.

Heli triple clamp, two ram balls with medium arms, X-Grip for the phone and specific cradle for the GPS - done!

--G

I find that the regular (small) X mount works - barely - on my Galaxy 5 with Otterbox Defender. If I were buying again, I'd get the medium size.

I don't have the confidence in the x grip as I do more robust mounts from Ram. But I still use one for my work iPhone on the helibridge ball. Looking for a ram product to hold a Bluetooth speaker. I usually run monitors, but for sedate cruising with the wife, I'm going to try external music. We were at a shrimp boil and there was very good sounding music. When I found out it was all coming from a tiny Bluetooth speaker, I wondered about 2 wheeled application.

I use a triple tree nut with a ram ball attached. Works fine and I ordered the nut here: https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5&products_id=29 (you need to order a ram ball separately). For securing the phone, I use an X-Grip that I purchased here: https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-universal-x-grip-phone-cradle-with-b-ball-ram-hol-un7bu.html.
+1 on the X-Grip cradle. I have one on each of my motorcycles, mountain and road bikes. Awesome holder.

I use my x-grip frequently. It did release my iphone 6, but I saw it fall (hit the tank, otterbox rubber absorbed the blow) and caught it. Since it hasn't happened since, I suspect it may not have been secured properly in the mount.

I use my x-grip frequently. It did release my iphone 6, but I saw it fall (hit the tank, otterbox rubber absorbed the blow) and caught it. Since it hasn't happened since, I suspect it may not have been secured properly in the mount.
I've used a #84 rubber band around the posts on mine to provide some extra gripping power.

You have to get the correct size X-Grip for your phone. If too big it will not hold it securely.

On Saturday we rode a bunch of dirt back roads. They were mostly washboard and rough. I never even gave my I-Phone a thought and after 10 miles of ROUGH roads it was still in exactly the same position I had it at the start of the ride. I have been using my X-Grip now for around 70,000 trouble free miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is the correct size, but it still released the phone. I'm much more confident in the finger grip mounts, having used both quite a bit. I think rubber band or velcro strap reinforcement is just smart for longer rides. I rarely use it for commuting.

I've used a #84 rubber band around the posts on mine to provide some extra gripping power.

My experience is the X grip with a lifeproof case is the ticket. I have had it on my quad where I could not see the phone in mud and then put on my bike for some good hauls. I even used it for an 8 hour rain storm ride where my Gopro mount broke and destroyed the camera, the phone works perfectly and never moved. I figured if it could withstand all the bumps and jumps I have put it through on my ATV it surely will survive whatever I might subject my FJR too.